Need suggestion for low-end home theater receiver

Username: Rivenmyst137

Post Number: 1
I apologize if you've seen a thousand of these posts before, but I could use some advice:

I want to spend somewhere between $200 and $500 on a receiver (the less the better...I am a poor grad student). I'm not much of an audiophile...I'm more interested in using the receiver for home theater than for listening to CDs.

I have the "6" (speakers) of a 6.1 Onkyo home-theater-in-a-box. I also have a 2000 Sony HD 32" tube that can do 1080i but not 720p. So, clearly I have far from top of the line stuff...nonetheless, I'd like a non-crap receiver.

So, I'm looking for a decent, relatively low-cost 7.1 receiver. Was kind of eyeing Denon or Onkyo as those seem to be popular, but can be argued into something else. Part of me hopes to later on upgrade, for instance, the tv, and is tempted to get a receiver with HDMI, but I kind of suspect that I should just get a better receiver if and when my equipment merits it. yes/no?

Thanks for your advice,
Nick

P.S. Advice for the 7th speaker and a subwoofer would be useful as well.

Gold Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 1807
Nick,

If you can stretch to a Denon AVR1907 it's a really good performer. I haven't heard the lower end receivers (1707 and 1507) so I can't comment on them. The 1907 has excellent facilities and features. You can use it successfully with your current kit and if you should upgrade it'll do some justice to your later purchases (within reason).

Regards,
Frank.

Bronze Member
Username: Tc_skier

Post Number: 73
harman kardon avr 245. you'll love it.

can be had for much much much less than what's listed below.

http://harmankardon.com/product_detail.aspx?Region=USA&Country=US&Language=ENG&c at=REC&prod=AVR%20245&sType=C

Gold Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 1808
The 7th speaker should either just match the other 6 or if it is appreciably better quality it should be inserted as your centre speaker. in the meantime you could simply live with 5.1.

An inexpensive excellent sub would be Velodyne's entry level CHT-8R. It has excellent performance for the cost.

Regards,
Frank.

Bronze Member
Username: Hodedofome

TX USA

Post Number: 25
One of these would be really really good:

http://www.accessories4less.com/cgi-bin/item/MARSR4600BLKA

http://www.accessories4less.com/cgi-bin/item/MARSR4001

That or the HK AVR245, are really good for the price. I guess you would just have to decide if you want video going through the receiver or just audio. If you want video and you might upgrade your tv to a 1080P unit with "deep color" and all the other fancy schmancy features on the horizon, then it would be a good idea to wait on the receiver till your ready to buy a tv, cause HDMI v1.3 receivers will be coming out this year that will allow all the fancy new features to be there.

I'm in the same boat, I can afford a new receiver now, but by the time I'm ready to buy a tv, who knows how much cooler stuff there will be available?

Username: Rivenmyst137

Post Number: 2
Cool..thanks for the feedback, all!

Nick

Silver Member
Username: Gamerdude

Ontario Canada

Post Number: 355
Yea the H/k avr-245 has plenty of power// Best bang for buck

Glad i got one :D
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums