Micro System vs Stereo System for Dorm Room?

Bronze Member
Username: Tc_skier

Post Number: 62
Hey i'm trying to plan out what i want to get when I go off to college next year. I want to spend about 400 bucks. I was wondering if i should get a micro system or if i should get a receiver and 2 bookshelf speakers. if i went with the second option, i would probably get elemental designs a3-5tc bookshelf speakers and pair it with a JVC RXD205S receiver. i dono what i would get if i got a micro system for under 400. lemme know what you think, thanks. (ps i will only have room for 2 speakers, so i can't do a surround system or anything. also, the receiver has everything i want so that's a for sure if i went with the second option).

Silver Member
Username: Arande2

400dB could probably d..., 4000 isnt ev... 100,000dB FU...

Post Number: 607
I recommend the second option. Now, what size speakers are you looking at? Just Bookshelf?

Personally I'd probably find myself buying a pair of bookshelf speakers for like $15 from Ebay or something then buying a good powered subwoofer to provide the deep bass.

But then again, I'm not quite sure what you're looking for.

Bronze Member
Username: Tc_skier

Post Number: 63
well the elemental designs speakers are 10 inches tall and 6 inches wide....they fit nice, they've got good reviews on some forums, and the price doesn't seem all that bad...i'll post up in the speakers section and see what they have to say over there. thanks for the help!

Silver Member
Username: Edison

Glendale, CA US

Post Number: 848
This is one of the best sounding mini, and is in your budget. It was recommended by the magazine Hifi-choice.

http://cgi.ebay.com/D-M33S-DENON-MINI-STEREO-SYSTEM-D-M33-DM33S-DM33-NEW_W0QQite mZ250086288502QQihZ015QQcategoryZ4787QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Silver Member

Glendale, CA US

Post Number: 849
This one is pretty good too - the ones I am recommending are a cut above usual mini systems for sure !

And they look classy too.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Onkyo-MC35-Tech-Shelf-System_W0QQitemZ190085118267QQihZ009QQ categoryZ67802QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Silver Member

Glendale, CA US

Post Number: 850
Another possibility -

http://cgi.ebay.com/ONKYO-L205TX-sys-w-CD-Amp-Tuner-Cassette-Spks-NEW_W0QQitemZ1 60089067618QQihZ006QQcategoryZ4787QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem#ebayphotohosting

Another route to go is to get a good speakers for your computer - let me know if you will be having a computer, and I can recommend good 2.1 speakers for you - this way, you will have the subwoofer, giving you that full warm sound.

Username: Narisatu

Post Number: 1
I figured i would post this in here, but i was looking to do either a 2 speaker+receiver setup for my computer in my dorm, or just a really nice 2.1 system, should i start another thread, or can should i leave it in here?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us