Bookshelf Speaker Recommendations for HK 3480

Username: Heimdall

Post Number: 1
Hello everyone. I am new to the audiophile scene and am in the process of building my first stereo system. I have the HK 3480 and would like some suggestions on which speakers would go best with this receiver. After trying to read as many reviews and posts as possible I've narrowed down the list to:

Energy RC-10
Axiom M22
Ascend 170SE
Rocket RS150

My price range is around $500 and I listen to 85% metal, 10% classical/jazz and 5% movies. The listening area is a standard dorm room. Right now I am leaning towards the Energy RC-10s which I can get new for $385. Whichever speaker I decide on, I was planning to add a sub.

I know the best option would be to go audition as many speakers as possible, but I am kinda stuck in the middle of nowhere and haven't found any audio shops.

Also there are a pair of Totem Rainmakers on Audiogon listed for 550. Any opinions on getting this used pair vs the Energys?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Silver Member
Username: Stefanom

Vienna, VA United States

Post Number: 281
I would take a look at offerings from Klipsch as well, in regards to your preference for metal.

Silver Member
Username: Gamerdude

Ontario Canada

Post Number: 353
Checks these out
http://www.jr.com/JRProductPage.process?Product=4086581&JRSource=nsa&nsa=1

On the klipshc site
http://www.klipsch.com/products/details/rb-81.aspx

Silver Member
Username: Davidpa

Portland, Oregon US

Post Number: 286
NHT classic threes.

Silver Member
Username: Davidpa

Portland, Oregon US

Post Number: 287
BTW, the rainmakers everyday over the Energy's

Gold Member
Username: Suleman36

Post Number: 4213
I have a HK-3480 and have been looking for 2 bookshelfs aswell.

I listen to mostly hiphop and dance.

What whould you recommend if my budget was $500 for speakers/sub. Whould i be better off to find a subwoofer and do a 2.1 setup off the HK-3480 ?

Stephen ?

Silver Member

Vienna, VA United States

Post Number: 367
"What whould you recommend if my budget was $500 for speakers/sub. Whould i be better off to find a subwoofer and do a 2.1 setup off the HK-3480 ? "

Yeah; that should give you the bass you are looking for. Since I know you like a lot of bass, maybe try looking at a pair of Dayton 12" subwoofers.

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&Partnumber=300-635

They are supposed to be good for the money. Two of them with maybe Athena bookshelves would be a pretty good system for you IMO MO.

Silver Member
Username: Exerciseguy

Brooklyn, NY USA

Post Number: 872
Once again, the Wharfedale Diamond 9.2 (can be had for under 3-bills here http://ayselectronics.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=155_181&product s_id=1462&zenid=a45338ec14578e290a829f98fcd2b629) tops my list in the sub-$500 category.

Gold Member

Post Number: 4214
Whould you suggest Athena Bookshelves or the Klipsch bookshelves at bestbuy ?

Also this is going to be 100% music so you think i whould be better off with the Dayton 12" or a STF-2 ?

Im not sure if you remember but i posted a pic of my 1989 Sony Floorstanders and reciever setup. That thing sounded really impressive with every type of music and has a 7 band eq on the reciever.

Unfortunatly the speakers are damaged and no longer sound good. They were a 3 way set. The tweeter and mid are ok but the 10 or 12" subs are damaged.

Just looking for that type of sound hopefully with this next setup. Hard to explain..lol

Silver Member

Vienna, VA United States

Post Number: 368
The HSU would do a fine job; however, for what you are listening to, I think a pair of Daytons might do the job a little bit better.

I'd also still say the Klipsch bookshelves at BB would suit your tastes, but Athena will do just fine as well, plus you have an idea of how they will sound in your home.

In either case, I'd stop agonizing over the decision so much. In either case you're going to have a solid setup.

Gold Member

Post Number: 4215
Your right Stephen. Thanks for the help. I will let you know how it turns out. Have you heard the Daytons by any chance or have any reviews on them ?

Gold Member

Post Number: 4216
Stephen, do you think i should start with 1 12" Dayton and see if i need more or go with 2 off the bat ?

Gold Member

Post Number: 4217
I think im going to decide betweent he STF 2 or the Athena AS-P4000 sub that you recommended the first time in the email.

After some research the Dayton 12 i changed my mind as it didnt impress anyone in comparison to the athena or stf 2 etc...

Silver Member

Vienna, VA United States

Post Number: 369
"Have you heard the Daytons by any chance or have any reviews on them ?"

Haven't heard them but some people on here seem to think they're decent.

"Stephen, do you think i should start with 1 12" Dayton and see if i need more or go with 2 off the bat ?"

One to start certainly wouldn't hurt anything.

"After some research the Dayton 12 i changed my mind as it didnt impress anyone in comparison to the athena or stf 2 etc..."

Both are significantly more expensive, so I would hope they would outperform the Dayton one on one. However, doubling up on the subwoofers offers some advantages that you don't see on paper. It helps to compensate for some room effects and provide a more even response across your room when done properly. The fact that you get a bit more volume certainly doesn't hurt in your case either; I imagine the Dayton would certainly hold its own against either the HSU or Athena in that regard, and probably wouldn't utterly embarrass itself in terms of sound quality either.

Gold Member

Post Number: 4218
The Athena is geared more towards home theatre from what i have read and the Dayton has been described as boomy and a bit sloppy for music. I obviously have not heard it.

Its either this bookshelf http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=ATASB1%2E2

or the 6 1/2 Klipsch at Best Buy.

Now i noticed the athena is 5.5 and the Klipsch is 6.5 so im not sure how that makes a differance.

Gold Member

Post Number: 4219
How whould you compare the Pioneers here

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&Partnumber=250-680

Thats a 3 way but they come in smaller 2 ways

Silver Member

Vienna, VA United States

Post Number: 370
No experience with the Pioneer, but I would imagine the Athena would more than compete.

As far as Athena versus Klipsch, you should have an idea of how the Athena sounds from the F2.2, as well as the Klipsch from BB. They both have their strengths and weaknesses, and I'd probably opt for the Klipsch, but its not a decision I can make for you.

As far as the Dayton being boomy/sloppy, it really depends on the room/setup/etc. There have been people on the subwoofer forum that said its decent, and others who have decided it wouldn't fit the bill. Depending on how demanding you are, it may do the job. If you aren't willing to take that chance, certainly go with the HSU.

Gold Member

Post Number: 4220
Thanks for your input. Youve been a big help.

As you know i listen to mostly hip-hop and dance music and want the best speakers for my application.

I dont want the bass to be unaccurate and and a one note wonder. Im not that much of a basshead. I just want it to perform well with the music i listen to without sounding sloppy.

My room is 20 x 20 and its in a basement of a townhouse.

I will put the subwoofer in the corner of the room and place the speakers on top of my sony floorstanders that i dont use anymore.

Just trying to decide on the sub now.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us