How can you tell if speakers are over driven?

Username: Kompressor

B.C. Canada

Post Number: 5
Hello, I'm new to the forum and home audio. I have a question that I have tried to find doing a search but can't. I have some new audio equipment and do not want to over drive my speakers and blow them. How do you know when you are over driving or playing speakers too loud? I understand if the speaker is distorting I'm playing them too loud, but can a speaker still blow even if it's not at the level of distortion?

Gold Member
Username: Timn8ter

Seattle, WA USA

Post Number: 1173
Not likely.

Gold Member

Seattle, WA USA

Post Number: 1174
I suppose the potential exists to overheat the voice coil by playing them a their maximum volume for extended (read hours) periods of time. If that's how you generally play them consider pro equipment, and a hearing test.

B.C. Canada

Post Number: 6
Thanks for the reply Timn8ter. No I don't play them at their max volume but the woofer does move in and out a bit. Just wanted to make sure this was ok. I appreciate your input, thank you.

Gold Member

Seattle, WA USA

Post Number: 1175
A well designed high-excursion woofer should have a large enough voice coil and adequate ventilation to allow it to play within Xmech without failing. If it doesn't, blame the engineer.

Username: Pether

Utrecht, Utrecht Netherlands

Post Number: 7
You should watch out for playing music loud, when it has little dynamics (difference in loud and soft pieces) e.g. some live-cd's or else. Then it is very tempting to play it loud to get some real feel. Anyway else, you should use your ears to judge.
Sensible use will give no damage!

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 5138
K, you are much more likely to damage the speakers by using amplification which is too small, and asking too much of it, driving it to clipping.
Understand if your gear is being overdriven, or the amplification is clipping.

B.C. Canada

Post Number: 8
Thanks Nuck. My Harmon/Kardon AVR 445 is rated at 80 wpc and my Totem Sttaf's can handle 100 W max program. By the way what does max program mean?

Gold Member

Post Number: 5148
Absolutely nothing.
It's a round number and looks nice.

B.C. Canada

Post Number: 9
LOL ok thanks.

Username: Pether

Utrecht, Utrecht Netherlands

Post Number: 9
As a rule of thumb goes: 5 to 12 is max. with your volume knob! This is with a CD-player on a CD or AUX or TAPE input.

Gold Member

Post Number: 5157
With a source recorded at high or low levels?
2 or 7 speakers?
8 or 2 ohm speakers?
Van Halen or Von Beethoven?
At 1meter or 1 mile?
@20Hz or 20k Hz?
Discreet output amplification or front biased?

I think the only rule of thumb is don't suck it...you don't know where it has been.

Silver Member
Username: Daniel_canada

Canada

Post Number: 256
ROFL @ NUCK

If it sounds too loud it is too loud. Listen to the highs, if they hurt your ears turns it DOWN. If the bass go to crap turn it down. All speakers will move, that's kind of how they work. As far as the vol. knob is concerned, there is a huge difference from a CD to FM to vinyl.

Bronze Member

B.C. Canada

Post Number: 19
Yeah depending on the source, volume levels change dramatically. CD seems the loudest and Sat. TV the lowerst. My H/K receivers volume range is -80 to 0 and with a CD I will listen at volumes between -50 to -35. With the TV as low as -25.

Silver Member
Username: Davidpa

Portland, Oregon US

Post Number: 276
When everything sounds real bad, you've gone too far. Even if your close to distortion(just below the volume you know it distorts), you are still probably overdriving them, and they are distorting, you just cant hear it. Play it safe, know the speaker, and amps limits, and limit errors on the volume control! Be especially careful of CDs, or movies with big swings in dynamics, as both the speaker, and amp could be overdriven quickly, without you having time to adjust.
Then you will know for sure that they have been overdriven.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us