Whats your opinion...

Username: Air2mud82

APO AE DE

Post Number: 3
Some of you may have alreadys seen this when I was looking for help on choosing a receiver earlier, but I'm just curious what everyone thinks about this deal for $579 - http://www.pioneer.eu/eur/products/42/98/405/VSX-2016AV-S/index.html
I think I'm going to order it w/o hearing it first because they have a decent return policy, and hopefully I can give a decent review since I'm assuming I'll be the few/only on these boards that has this particular model.

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 5103
Mike, take a look at the power consumption of that unit.

Username: Air2mud82

APO AE GE

Post Number: 4
Nuck - yeah it is at 450W, whereas most of the other units I was looking at were around 450-500W. I was actually one confirmation click from ordering the Yammy -V1600 after your providing of the same advice on another thread of mine, but I've noticed alot of happy customer reviews w/ Pioneers newer models, so I'm planning on giving this one a shot.
I thought it seemed like a nice mix of features for the price and I have 90 days to return it, so I figure that will be enough time for a good trial run.

I'm still looking for others first thoughts on my OP, but also I'm going to caveat it with general feelings towards Kenwood. I have a Euro-model Kenwood receiver KRF-X7775 that is outstanding. It advertises 180Wx5 and I think that is pretty accurate. I know ppl are under the impression that they are out of the HT business, but that actually isn't true. I have been on the phone with them quite a bit these last few weeks w/ an unrelated issue.
Well, hope some of you find time on your News Years breaks to respond to this.
-Mike

Silver Member
Username: Jethro

Lansing, Mi

Post Number: 142
picking a receiver by power consumption or weight is a great indicator of real world power when all channels are driven vs inflated stats, but the application at hand is more imperative. What speakers are we working with and room size. Are we talking 5/7 channel audio? Movies? There is a point in which these receivers albeit overrated aren't going to matter much for HT assignments. In most circumstances you're not going to be running all 7 channels full and you won't be putting that type of strain on the power supply. extra available headroom would be great but your not going to find much out of any budget feature laden receiver. Your buying options. The power of the receiver in the OP should suffice given the speakers and room size/application are within the realm of a budget receiver. Apples to Apples comparison w/ the pio denon hk etc budget receiver. If it weren't feature rich and you were paying for the amps/pre section you could expect more power consumption/weight because this would be more of the focus...

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 5115
Good points, Jeff.
Although I cannot ever see the faults of a superior power supply.

www.Outlawaudio.com
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us