Wharfedale vs. Athena Bookshelf Speakers with Subwoofer. Advice?

Username: Thereverend

Post Number: 3
I am a poor college student getting ready to move and I want to set up a system in my bedroom. It is a small room and I think bookshelf speakers would work well with my room and NAD 7000 50 watt/channel receiver. I am looking to go very budget on the whole system with the possible addition of a subwoofer if funds become available. I was looking at the Dayton subs on partsexpress for something inexpensive. I want to spend around $300 (maybe a little more, maybe a little less) for everything.

I listen to a lot of music, but mostly rock (90%) and jazz (10%). I also enjoy world music and generally just like music. Thanks for any advice!

Silver Member
Username: Exerciseguy

Brooklyn, NY USA

Post Number: 792
I would suggest the Infinity Primus 160, Wharfdale Diamond 8.2, or Athena AS-B2.2, all can be had for under $200. The Parts Express Dayton SUB-100 (which WAS just on sale for $99, sorry) is $125 and has a pretty good rep, though I haven't heard it. For music-mostly, you might want to save a few $$$ and skip the sub.

Silver Member

Brooklyn, NY USA

Post Number: 793
If $300 is the budget, and your intent on spending it, I would skip the sub, and purchase the Wharfedale Diamond 9.2 here for under 3-bills http://ayselectronics.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=155_181&product s_id=1462&zenid=a45338ec14578e290a829f98fcd2b629

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 5038
Good link, CM.
I heard the Athena B2.2 a while back, they were OK.

Silver Member

Brooklyn, NY USA

Post Number: 794
I agree Nuck, the Athenas OK...maybe a little more than OK, the Infinity Primus 160's are better, the Whafedale 8.2's are much better, the 9.2's might be the best.

Post Number: 4
Ok,

I am really tempted by the wharfedale 9.2. Will these provide enough punch without a sub? I will spend some time watching movies on it. If I buy those, I couldn't afford a sub.

Post Number: 5
I just did a little more research on these speakers. If the load is 6 ohms how will my amp respond if set at 8 ohms ?

Silver Member
Username: Arande2

400dB could probably d..., 4000 isnt ev... 100,000dB FU...

Post Number: 380
If I had more experience with NAD I could tell you, but maybe you'll just have to let Nuck or someone tell you.

IMO it depends on how hard you're driving the amp and for how long. Also, 6 ohms isn't that much off from 8 anyway. Speakers tend to vary in resistance/ohms across the frequency range anyway. I'm sure if they recommended them they'll work just fine.

Silver Member

Brooklyn, NY USA

Post Number: 795
The NAD & Wharfedale will pair-up beautifully. It is rated conservatively @ 50W/ch RMS with 70 watts at clipping & has outstanding headroom.

If HT is a serious consideration, then factor a sub into the equation. But IMHO, for the occasional sci-fi/action flick it's just not worth it, I would opt for the upgrade in the mains. You will not regret the Wharfedales 8's or 9's or the Infinity Primus or Betas (which I did not mention, but are excellent & can be had for about $250 as factory refurbs.).

...you also might want to consider the AV123 Onix X-LS in the $250 range.

Silver Member

Brooklyn, NY USA

Post Number: 796
The Infinity Primus 360's are another good choice if towers are an option http://cgi.ebay.com/INFINITY-PRIMUS-360-BLACK-PAIR-NEW-ONLY-279_W0QQitemZ1300626 60670QQihZ003QQcategoryZ61376QQcmdZViewItem

Should provide very B I G sound w/o sub.

Silver Member

Brooklyn, NY USA

Post Number: 797
Infinity Primus 360 review: http://www.stereophile.com/floorloudspeakers/605infinity/

Post Number: 6
Question: Does biwiring actually matter? I saw that the back of the 9.2's have four terminals. Will this make any difference in sound as they say it does? If it is an improvement, I have no problem buying some lamp cable and cheap interconnects from radioshack.

I am also pretty set on bookshelfs; I need something easy to move around and smaller is better with my tiny room. Also, with shipping the Infinity speakers go over budget by a lot.

How big of a difference is there between the Wharfedale 9.2 and the 8.2?

Silver Member

Post Number: 457
Hi.
<embed>
<noembed><bgsound></noembed>
Just doing a test

Silver Member

Post Number: 458
Ok thanks.

Silver Member

Brooklyn, NY USA

Post Number: 798
Colin,

The Infinity Primus 250 would keep you within budget http://cgi.ebay.com/INFINITY-PRIMUS-250-BLACK-PAIR-NEW-ONLY-188-90_W0QQitemZ1300 61861134QQihZ003QQcategoryZ61376QQcmdZViewItem , but let's focus on bookshelf speakers.

You may or may not prefer the should of bi-wired speakers vs. non-bi-wired speakers. I suggest you listen to whichever speaker you purchase wired both ways and decide which sound you prefer. I currently do not bi-wire my speakers.

Check around for reviews of the Wharfedales, both are excellent.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 12
Just thought I would let everyone know that I decided to go with the Wharfedale 9.2 speakers. I also bought some stands from Wood Technologies for $27 (Originally $57 less the $30 credit rewarded for signing up for Amazon's credit card). I will give my impressions after I set them up. Thanks for all of your excellent links and advice!

Colin

Silver Member

Brooklyn, NY USA

Post Number: 807
Bravo my good man. Excellent choice. Where did you buy them & for how much?

Username: Blowfish

Post Number: 2
Go check out audiogon.com for a nice pair of monitor. You can buy a lightly used, very clean high quality monitor speakers at about $300.

Silver Member

Brooklyn, NY USA

Post Number: 808
Sam, it's a done deal my good fellow.

Silver Member
Username: Serniter

Piscataway, New Jersey USA

Post Number: 106
Colin, I currently use an old NAD receiver (7130) with Diamond 8.3s. The 6 ohm load does not seem to be a problem at all. Let us know how you like the 9.2s.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 16
Well, it seems there is a good chance I may ask for a refund for the speakers. Unfortunately the service has not been entirely consistent. basically I ordered them, had the money taken out of my account, and have heard nothing about when they will be here. They haven't shipped yet, and last time I talked to the owner of the operation he said they would be shipped a week ago, and the time before that he told me they would, again, be shipped a week ago.

My question is, is it worth it to continue to put up with an eternal back-order with no clear idea when it will be over, or should I just ask for my money back and go for the 8.2 which are cheaper and more widely available?

Silver Member

Brooklyn, NY USA

Post Number: 829
Sorry to read that. I'd make a final call to say that you want a definite shipment date or you want a full refund. If there is any double talk on their part, get the refund. Amazon has the 8.2 for $199 shipped, but I think they're on back order too.

Silver Member

Brooklyn, NY USA

Post Number: 830
I've done some online digging, and would seem AYSE is reputable, but slow.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=669791

The problem really might be on the Wharfedale side, the speakers might be shipped directly from them.

Let me know how this plays out.

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 5382
The speakers should be great, a shame to have to jump through hoops and balance a ball on your nose to get them.

I am presently balancing a ball on my nose as well, for some stuff.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 17
I know, see that is the thing. If I bought them from Audio Advisor they would cost me ~$500, whereas buying them from AYSE only cost me ~$300. I keep telling myself to keep waiting and that it just makes up for the money saved. Oh well, I will post here again if anything interesting happens, like for example, my speakers showing up!

Bronze Member
Username: Tc_skier

Post Number: 85
so you bought from AYSE? are they an authorized dealer, especially for that price? ive been thinking about buying from them but have been wondering about this whole backorder thing... would you say its their fault or wharfedales fault? id like to pick up a pair 9.2's also. i can wait a month or two, i really dont need em just right now. but i dont want to get screwd over and have them take my money....

Silver Member

Brooklyn, NY USA

Post Number: 835
Anything yet?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 18
I haven't called him yet, and I figure e-mail is rather ineffective since he has not replied to my numerous questions in the past. I will call him on thursday when I have a day off and let everyone know what happens.

Colin

Bronze Member

Post Number: 87
update?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 19
Ok, well I called him last week on friday. He said that the 9.0's came in, and he was expecting a shipment "soon." He said that Wharfedale had been awaiting the arrival of the speakers from... (didn't want to say china) and that they should be in soon, and that my experience is not typical. He drop ships everything, hence the longer wait and risk of backorder.

However, it turns out that they came in today and are shipping tomorrow. He gave me a tracking number and thanked me for my patience. I will let everyone know how this turns out!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 89
im waitin for the word from you and then im buyin! let us know asap man!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 91
any update yet?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 20
No, but they are set for delivery on monday. If I am here to accept them, I will let you guys know my impressions, if not, I will let you know on tuesday.

Colin

Bronze Member

Post Number: 92
awesome can't wait

Bronze Member

Post Number: 27
Alright, well they are here! I came home this morning between classes because I forgot a couple of binders, and lo and behold the UPS truck had just pulled up. So I waited around and finally got them. The box was original, clearly unopened from the factory. I cut it open and found that everything was well preserved and nothing damaged during shipment. I suppose that would be expected from a vendor that ships so carefully that it takes him nearly a month!

These are much bigger than I realized, and I was somewhat glad about this, although my speaker stands seem a bit small in comparison!

I set them up, and played some music. I sat back on my bed, and to my dismay, they sounded funny. Luckily it was just an out of phase left channel, which is exactly what I thought I was hearing.

Anyway, they sound great. I definitely don't need a subwoofer. The bass extension is much better than I had expected. Played Giant Steps by Coltrane. The intro the title track was perfectly in balance to my ears. The bass sounded like a bass, the drums were back and to the right a tad, and coltrane was all to the left. McCoy was off to the right dong his thing, and it sounded good. Now, I have listened to much ore expensive System Audio speakers, and the midrange of those speakers is somewhat "sweeter" (not to use a buzz-word or anything), but they cost more than 10x the price of these speakers.

I also gave them the vinyl test. Pat Metheny was flying high above the rest of the group and it all sounded very sweet and mellow. I think "mellow" is a perfect word for these speakers. The high end isn't rolled off, it is just mellow, and I really like this sound. Also note that my TT is a Yamaha YP-B4 with a Shure M97xE cartridge, a cartridge known to have a mellow high end. It just sounded very sweet and mellow.

Anyway, I have been putting these through the paces with some different stuff, and they are handling it all very well. The comments about not doing electric music well are somewhat unfounded; while these speakers do very well with mostly acoustic sounds, they also do just fine with rock music and electronic music.

Anyway, the sound exceeds my expectations.

As for At Your Service Electronics, if anyone is thinking about buying these Wharfedale speakers from them, this was my experience:

1. Not so great communication: I never received so much as a confirmation e-mail from them, though I did have a debit from my bank account. I had to e-mail several times, I received 1 response to every 3 messages.

2. Being told what you want to hear: "They are going to be here tomorrow and ship on monday" instead of "They are still on the boat from China to Wharfedale in England and I have no clue when they are going to get here." Also, you will be repeatedly told that they will be shipping the next day.

3. Slow shipment times but low prices. Everything is drop shipped, hence the low prices. No middleman involved, so instead of paying $449 + shipping, I payed $281 + shipping.

4. A funky website that doesn't fully function.

All that said, Terry, the owner is a very nice person, and I suspect that his online business is a one-man-show. Unfortunately it seems to be very difficult to compete with big retailers let alone something like Amazon.com. Also, before you buy, be sure to read the policy regarding returns and warrantees.

That's all for now! Thanks for all of your help in deciding, I am glad I listened.

Silver Member

Brooklyn, NY USA

Post Number: 865
I feel a lot better not that you both have the speakers (I was getting worried a bit) and that you like them.

I honestly don't think you could have done better for under $300. The 9.2 should keep you happy for a very long time.

What color did you get? How do you like the finish?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 28
Well, the website only listed the cherry finish, but the black finish arrived. I actually wanted the black ones because all of the furniture and bedsheets in my room are black as are the stands I bought. I am happy with the finish (meaning I don't really care that it looks like fakey wood grain).

Silver Member

Brooklyn, NY USA

Post Number: 867
Check back with us after you've lived with them a while.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 93
agreed^^, although your review was all that i needed to click the buy button. thanks man.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 29
I am loving them even more now. I am sort of mad at myself for starting to collect vinyl. I had no idea what I was getting into! I went to the thrift store yesterday to see what I could find. I found many mint condition classical records. One is by The Composer's String Quartet, and I kid you not, it sounded like this group was sitting in my bedroom. Other highlights include (from a previous purchase) Queen's "A Night at the Opera." Wow! Brian May was right up front in the mix and the sound of it all was just perfect with everything bouncing all over my room. I am very happy with them as of today (heck, I am sitting in bed listening to music as I type!). Anyway, I will let you know more as time progresses.

Colin

Bronze Member

Post Number: 94
so you think they still sound good for like classic rock and modern stuff too? like hip-hop, pop, country, alternative, etc...?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 30
Yes! I listened to heavy metal on them. Right now I am listening to Coldplay. The bass is just nice and flat throughout. For hip hop, you will be surprised that you might not want a subwoofer. I tested them with El-P's Fantastic Damage and the sound was fine. It is not a boomy sound. I think that if listening to hip hop is your priority you might want a sub, but these sound perfect to my ears for rock music. The bass extension is flat down to 40, but you can still hear the low stuff, you just don't feel it as much as you would with a sub. But I would definitely say these speakers can rock. I was honestly surprised because people are always saying that they sound good for acoustic stuff but not for electrified music. I disagree. Anyway, enough rambling!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 95
aight sounds great thank you!

Silver Member
Username: Uback007

Post Number: 138
Coldplay is a great band, but whom ever is engineering their records needs to get a clue..Quality could be a lot better.
Of course I just listened to a patricia barber cd and her stuff sets the mark in recording/engineering quality.
Go get her Nightclub disc and be prepared to really hear how great your speakers can sound. You'll be blown away.

Bronze Member

Davis, CA United States

Post Number: 33
Interestingly enough, I feel almost opposite of how you feel about Coldplay. I think that the rather flat sounding presentation of their music is perfectly suited to their style. They are more like soaring over a cloud or skating across a frozen pond than climbing a mountain, at least stylistically. On the other hand, I am kind of tired of their music. It is just kind of blah.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us