All full-range AND a Sub

Silver Member
Username: Arande2

400dB could probably d..., 4000 isnt ev... 100,000dB FU...

Post Number: 238
Well, I wondered what the effect would be on sound if you decided to take say, 6 B&W Prestige Nautilus Floorstanding speakers powered by say, 8 Krell MRAs and get maybe 12 Krell subs.
How would that setup compare to a Durabrand® $39 home theater?

I'm just asking, what would be the huge difference at low volume levels? Of course at high levels the Durabrand would run out. I've also got a pretty good idea.

Also, what about just plain using all floorstanding speakers +1 or more subs over the usual large mains and all else small + sub or those sub/sat systems. I've also got a pretty good idea there too.

Silver Member
Username: Stefanom

Silver Spring, MD United States

Post Number: 260
The main measurable metrics include frequency range, frequency range flatness, and distortion (be it harmonic, from cabinet resonance, etc). In these areas, I would expect a Durabrand system to be abysmal, and as a result sound very very different from a quality system at any volume. More subjective metrics include things like imaging and soundstaging where I would also expect the Durabrand to be less than competitive.

Now as far as floorstanding speakers versus bookshelves in a 5.1, it may need to be reworded a bit. What you are looking for is a speaker that can reproduce bass frequencies with low distortion and have a high amount of dynamic headroom.

While most speakers are crossed over at 80Hz in a 5.1 system, this filter is not a brick wall. If we assume you are using a 12dB/octave filter, you could say that usable bass is being produced down to 50-60Hz. Now if a speaker is struggling to produce frequencies down to 80Hz, it is only going to produce more distortion beyond 80Hz (and it will only get worse as you raise the volume). On the other hand, if the speaker is capable of reproducing bass with low distortion, then you're in good shape.

Silver Member

Post Number: 241
This makes crazy sense to me now... I was just at the local high-end shop and listened to a system with all of Rotel's best like the surround processor and 200x5 amp. $1500 dvd player... Paradigm Signature s8's I think they were called for the mains and surrounds! Signature c5 center channel! 70" Sony HD1080P Flat Panel TV...
I was auditioning subs so I tried the MartinLogan Descent, the Ultracube 10, MartinLogan Depth, and B&W 855. I was surprised by the Ultracube 10's performance.

I was watching Van Helsing and during the fight between him and the other guy I started shaking, I still am haha. I was very happy with them all but my decision is down to the B&W 855 or Descent, I'll probably get the Descent i when it comes in.

Silver Member

Post Number: 245
Hey what about the idea of making a center channel speaker with 2 discrete channels? Wouldn't this help tie the dialog together with larger screens? (60"+)

Silver Member
Username: Jethro

Lansing, Mi

Post Number: 135
? have you lost your friggin marbles ?

Bronze Member
Username: Gavdawg

Post Number: 74
the magnepan mmgw can be used as a center channel, but they have to be tied together.

www.magnepan.com

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 5012
Even though I should have a pair by now, I just cannot get my head around the 800$ here in Nuckland.
MMGW's were supposed to be cheap...

Silver Member

Post Number: 254
This is interesting.
Now that you mention it...I need a center channel speaker...I don't have one right now. The last one I had was too big to put under the TV since there is no place to fit it..

Silver Member
Username: Juancho

Superior Lake, ON Canada

Post Number: 169
Andre Money. Now I know What"s your Problem. I believe that you are using other nicks just for annoy other people.
https://www.ecoustics.com/bbs/2/305987.html

Silver Member

Post Number: 354
Well I was Papa Noel and Santa Claus, but that was just for Christmas. That link must go to a post that doesn't exist anymore! Well thanks for telling me my problem!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us