New Home - New Speakers

Silver Member
Username: Twebbz

Oakland Park, Florida USA

Post Number: 448
Gentlemen...I moved into a home with a great room. It is about 28'x 26' with intruding walls, has a tile floor with area rugs, vaulted ceiling and large window walls. I enjoyed my Athena AS-F2s in my previous home but here they are to bright. I need to explore purchasing other floorstanding speakers and am thinking about the Paradigm Studio 60s as I remember them to be a bit laid back when I listened to them a few years ago. I have a NAD C370 integrated amp. Any other speaker suggestions of moderate pricing that would work in a room such as this would be appreciated. My musical interests are Pop, Rock & Dance. BTW, what are the Studio 60s going for these days?

Gold Member
Username: Timn8ter

Seattle, WA USA

Post Number: 1165
Why do you think the Athena's sound different now?

Silver Member

Post Number: 449
They are too bright and have a bit of a midrange hollow sound, voices not sounding natural. I didn't hear that in my old room (11'x 17', low ceiling). The new room is furnished and decorated and will not be changed.

Gold Member

Seattle, WA USA

Post Number: 1167
Ok, so I think we can agree it's the room causing the problem. Changing to another speaker of similar design (monopole bass reflex) is not going to address the problem. I believe you need to do something about the room effect on the soundfield. When you say the room will not be changed I assume you are saying no acoustic treatments will be added. If that is truly the case then you should be looking at highly directional speakers. This would include line arrays and dipole (open baffle) designs. Here's a fine example of a dipole speaker.
http://www.woodartistry.com/Audio.htm

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 4972
"IE, my wife said NFW!"

Kidding, Rick! The place sounds great. Maybe post a pic, for a better idea?

I have seen some beautiful room treatments.
And heard some invisible ones.

Silver Member

Post Number: 450
I'm not ready for exotics...just some conventional floorstanders that tend to be less bright. The Paradigm Studio 60s are $1,700 for the pair here in Fort Lauderdale but the dealer only has Studio 40s and 100s on dispaly. Says the 60s are much improved and sound much like th 40's but with better base extension. I can't go too much more than that price without being beat up and shot by THE BOSS and the Athenas have to be sold first. Maybe B&W DM604-S3? Others?

Gold Member
Username: Joe_c

Atlanta, GA USA

Post Number: 1155
psb's might fit the ticket. Maybe a pair of image t65's ?

Gold Member

Seattle, WA USA

Post Number: 1168
http://www.rawacoustics.com/item__HTFR_Speakers,812.html

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 3738
Studio 60v4's should be amazing.

Gold Member

Post Number: 4996
JC, Psb's don't come up here so often. Where do you like them?The t65's?

Art, is your enthusiasm from the previous run and expecting more, or sommore info?

Merry Christmas!

Silver Member
Username: Jethro

Lansing, Mi

Post Number: 136
i think the B&w's are the laid back speaker that you could be looking for and most dealers that carry them will let you do an in home trial. check out the 604s3's in home if you can. What amps/receiver do you run? 5 channel music/ ht primarily? 2 channel music primarily?

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 3744
Paradigm always goes forward without lookung back. With better drivers and crossovers I'm betting on an improved Studio series from Paradigm....and the old one was outstanding.

Silver Member

Post Number: 451
As I stated above in my original posting. I have a NAD C370 stereo integrated amp. I'm also using a NAD C542 CD. On occasion I do pipe my DVD & VCR through the stereo but it's not my main focus. I like pop, rock and dance music.

Gold Member

Post Number: 5009
Nad and Paradigm go well together.

Those Studio 60's might be just right.
They look great, too!

Gold Member
Username: Joe_c

Atlanta, GA USA

Post Number: 1162
NAD and PSB go together also, Nuck PSB's have a real neutral sound and are priced really comfortably. I have found them at a local high end shop and heard the t45 and 65's Great speaker and I heard them with a NAD amp/cd setup.

Gold Member

Post Number: 5010
JC, Rick, I run the Psb Stratus silver, with heavy power.(see profile)
I would not rec then to anyone who is unable to move the whole room around.
That said, I did find a good point for the speakers.

The T series(including the 65) is a compromise, the Stratus is a tried and true stereo performer.

Along with about a hundred others.

Silver Member

Post Number: 452
Well, the Studio 60 with "rosenut" finish is great looking furniture, better than the DM604s3...got to call around more to see if I can actually find some on display within an hours drive. Do you guys think it's a fair bet to judge the 60's by the perfomance of the 40's if they are the only ones I can listen to?

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 3746
The last Studio 60 (v3's) actually outperformed the the 40's. They didn't suffer the cabinet noise of the v2's. Again I'd make sure to get the v4 which promises to be fabulous.

Bronze Member
Username: Marsden

Capital City

Post Number: 44
Oh wow. I should unload my Fluance Towers on this guy. It can't be good for my amp to have the treble setting at MAX all the time :-)

Seriously though, tile floors and walls of glass are likely going to be a real issue.

Silver Member
Username: Arande2

400dB could probably d..., 4000 isnt ev... 100,000dB FU...

Post Number: 261
I heard the Studio 60's last night lol. They sounded really good with all of Rotel's best(all the models from 1090-1099 are their best I think).

Silver Member

Post Number: 453
Hmmmm...Listened to the Studio 40s and Studio 100s V.4 today (w/Elite amp). (No 60's on display.) While they sounded sweet & natural, I found that they lacked punch. I expected the 40's to be lacking bass but the 100's did too. I suppose I'm used to the strong bass of the Athenas. Whether that's good or bad, It's what I like. I'll try the B&W DM604s next. Have to drive to south of Miami but I'll be able to hear the 60s and the DM604s side by side there.

Silver Member

Post Number: 455
I heard and purchased the B&W DM604s3. The soundstage of the Paradigms is much too far back for my taste. As I said before, they lack bass although they are sweet and smooth. The B&Ws on the other hand are a little less sweet, have plenty of bass, are much more dynamic and upfront, just an all around more exciting speaker, I thought. I actually preferred them to them to the upmarket 704s.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 3784
The Paradigms must be broken thoroughly before the really sing. But they don't lack dynamics driven by the appropriate gear.

Congrats on your new B&W's, long live good tunes in your home Rick!

Gold Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 1834
Art, I think you meant brokoen in...:-)

Regards,
Frank.

Gold Member

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 1835
And of course I meant 'broken'...

Gold Member

Post Number: 5255
Miss the old 'edit' function now, Frank? hehehe

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 3794
Indeed Frank...

Gold Member
Username: T_bomb25

Dayton, Ohio United States

Post Number: 1482
I think you should take a look at the Onix Rocket RS450s,they are astounding for the money and then some.

Gold Member

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 1841
Edit? What edit? Pah...:-)

Silver Member

Post Number: 456
I'm in the process of waiting for the B&Ws to come in. B&W requires a dealer to place a minimum $30,000 order for shipment...so the dealer says.

No big hurry though, Took the NAD C370 in for service yesterday.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us