HDMI / HDCP problems disrupting video, need help

Username: Gamboe

Peoria, IL USA

Post Number: 1
I have a JVC 70" HD-ILA television, model 70G886, with 720p native resolution. My receiver is a Yamaha HTR-5990, 7.1 at 140 watts/channel, 2 HDMI in and 1 HDMI out, deinterlaces analog video from 480i to 480p, and upgrades from 720p to 1080i on HDMI. My primary DVD player is a Samsung DVD-HD941, which upgrades DVD's to whatever resolution you choose, up to 1080i. With my old receiver, a dinosaur by Pioneer, i had no troubles, other than the tangled mess of wires and the excess of remotes: TV, receiver, 2 DVD players, vcr. But when I added the Yamaha receiver, with all video components feeding into the receiver and the receiver sending all video signals via HDMI, I found a few problems. There were HDCP problems with the Samsung DVD player, which I corrected by acquiring the code to deactivate the HDCP encoding. But sometimes the receiver shows HDCP error, I lose all audio, and the TV shows a bright purple screen. The remedy is to turn everything off and back on, and it works. But when the TV gets an error, I still have sound (I don't use the TV's speakers, I have a Bose surround system coming out of the receiver), but the TV display goes to a very dark blue. If I try pressing buttons on the TV remote, it makes changes in the TV, but nothing appears on the screen, including the on-screen display items. The only way to fix it is to power it down, then unplug it for 15 minutes to reset the tv's microprocessor. Does anyone have any ideas as to the cause, and hopefully, the solution? The problem occurs regardless of which video component is being used, although it seems more prevalent when using the Samsung DVD player.
Scott Gamboe

Gold Member
Username: Kano

BC Canada

Post Number: 1129
With the devices that have the HDCP handshake problems have the TV and receiver both to the correct inputs (mainly the receiver) BEFORE powering on the source that is causing the problem. So in the case of the Samsung upconverting player, change the input to the HDMI channel the Samsung uses before powering it on.

The TV issue sounds like it could possibly be "overloading" the HDMI input, just a guess, but you may remedy by only having one source device on at a time. While having all components "upgraded" to the HDMI output of the Yamaha is a cool feature IMO it really won't add anything to the picture quality - basically since your TV has a native resolution it is just a matter of the receiver scaling the image rather than the TV.

There's been many reports of receivers and HDMI switchers having many of these handshake problems, I would just keep the connections as simple as possible, perhaps buying a S-video/composite/component video switcher rather than using the receiver may be a better idea.

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 4880
It is times like this that keeping all A and V signals seperate makes sooo much sense.

HDMI is, how do you spell SPPDLUUFFFFF?

Username: Gamboe

Peoria, IL USA

Post Number: 2
Kano... As far as the devices go, I leave the satellite box on full time because it takes forever for it to set itself up. The others stay off unless in use. I do have a startup routine that seems to reduce the frequency of problems: turn on receiver first, then tv, then the device I'm using.
Both the tv and the receiver are using HDMI v. 1.1. Would switching from a Yamaha receiver to a JVC receiver possibly help in the handshaking process, by matching the brand of the receiver to that of the tv?

Gold Member
Username: Kano

BC Canada

Post Number: 1130
Well Scott, problem with being an early adopter is problems like these. I have seen HDMI's advantages on my display and hope they figure the HDCP and can get a final version so we can really get down to business. HDMI 1.3 is coming in the new year, hopefully there will not be a 1.4. 1.3 doubles the bandwidth for HDMI signals to allow for more video and sound options. I'm looking at this switcher -

http://www.hdtvsupply.com/dviswsw6dvii.html

but have heard that this one is the best value with the least issues

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=101&cp_id=10110&cs_id=1011002 &p_id=2777&seq=1&format=2&style=

the monoprice one would most likely fix all your issues. If you're going to get a new receiver wait a few months and get a 1.3 HDMI one, they will be backwards compatible supposedly and might have all these issues fixed.

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 4914
I like the features and stuff right now, but, BROTHER, it must suck to be buying an AVR right now.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us