Help with shelf system

Username: Gabeomatic

Post Number: 1
First of all I would like to say hi to everyone, as this being my first post.

But for this christmas I would like to get some kind of shelf system with a great bass sound and something that will rock the house =]

My friend bought the JVC Mx GT-90 a couple years back with 460 watts of power, and that thing really has a nice sound and wonderful bass, and it definately retailed for over 400. And now with the new 540 watt JVC Hx D-77, I'm not sure if jvc is concentrating too much on the looks of their systems, with not too great of a sound, and this one retails for about 300.. but I can obviously get them for cheaper somewhere. So do you know any other shelf systems I can look at (maybe JVC) and should I just try to get some of the older models on ebay such as the gt90 because that is a nice system.

The one my friend has has an 8 inch sub in each speaker with 160 watts powering each, but this new one has a 6-7 inch sub with 185 watts powering it, any recommendations?
I want something to rock the house! Thanks =]

Bronze Member
Username: Arande2

Post Number: 67
If I knew what I'd buy I'd tell you. The fact of the matter is though, I've never actually had a shelf system. All I've ever toyed around with is amps and a lot of speakers and subwoofers.

Otherwise, if you want a shelf system I'd recommend just going crazy using search engines to find that system that will "rock the house" BAM! I'm pretty sure you won't find the ultimate shelf system for under $500 though.

Post Number: 3
I never knew a 2 speaker stereo will retail for more than 500

Have you even checked any of those out, theyre both great systems.. I dont think you'll find one that has 8 inch subs built into it like the Jvc Mx Gt-90

Bronze Member

Post Number: 70
Yes I've heard them before but I think it's just a matter of taste. The stereo setup I have in my room uses a stereo receiver which went for about $500 in 1975 and a pair of speakers that cost $1000 back in 1969. Sorry I got off track, the point I'm trying to make is it's a matter of taste. I bet you could make a shelf system sound a lot better if you adjust it for the room it's in etc. but shelf system power I would highly suspect is measured in peak output which means that it can put out that wattage but not for an extended period. The concentration is a lot on watts more than quality and dazzling features these days than quality. I'm concerned about this. All I'm saying is an actual custom receiver and speaker system you can put together for about $500 will most likely surpass one of those shelf systems in quality (and quantity if you get a more powerful amp).}

Post Number: 4
Thats true, but id be too worried about breaking all that for a dance/ party

Thanks for the info though

Bronze Member

Post Number: 72
Yeah if you want a party system you should probably get a shelf system (good wattage) with a subwoofer output for future hookup to a subwoofer! This way you could get a loud shelf system and that heavy bass that powers parties. You could get all that for about $400 retail or find it secondhand.
When I was younger I used to research some shelf systems and a lot have sub outs. The sub would really add a lot of power (especially if the shelf system already has subs). Hope that HELPS!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 75
The Sharp Sys-G15000 seems exceptional at $350. Has all you need and of course that sub out. It got lots of good reviews.

Hopefully you make the right choice, but for now, bye (and hi Mr Me Too).}
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us