Need help deciding - Rotel RCD 971

Username: Xyzsurf

Tampa, FL USA

Post Number: 1
Hey all. I currently have a Onkyo 6-disc cd/dvd player that I'm using strictly for cds. I've been anxious to replace it with a dedicated cd player.

I've looked at several including Rega and Cambridge, but this 971 is in excellent condition and gets rave reviews everywhere.

What kind of reliability can I expect out of this unit being 5-6+ years old? Should I just hold off and get a Cambridge 340C or similar?

The player will be running thru an HK AVR 235 surround sound amp to Meadowlark Swifts.

Thanks!

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 4759
Hi Michael.
All of the players you mention are very good.
I hope the Rega you point out is the Apollo, if so, you will not find a more recommended product anywhere.
I, myself, run a Rotel 1072(1070 with hdcd and a bit more oomph). The 1070 was not a big leap above the 971(IMHO).
The Rotel delivers crisp solid highs and pays attention to the bass, not so warm as other makes.
If you like accurate, immediate delivery, the Rotel players mentioned are stellar. The only regular brand player that can rock with it is maybe the Naim 5.

Your other brands are markedly different in their delivery.

You really should bring your best cd's and listen to them all.

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 3712
The 971 is a pretty old model and depending on use may not have a lot of tread left on its tires. My friend who was a Rotel dealer and certified Rotel service center started replacing worn out transports and lasers quite some time ago. I owned the 971 and have to say that is my second favorite player that I've owned (second only to the Apollo that I presently own). I never had a bit of trouble with it and loved it's upfront and musical presentation. My ex wife still owns it and it's still working (last I heard).

Gold Member

Post Number: 4839
I imagine that 'the stereo is working' is the good news from the 'x'.

These Rotels just keep on going. My RB985 amp has been begging for abuse, but I only have 2 speakers...

Gold Member

Post Number: 4840
I just dig Rotel, a 1072 will fit any bill, I figgur...
Whap, bam, drummer slam, this player is fast, accurate, and a whole lotta love for the girls. 5 oughta 5.
I didn't ask the girls.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us