Thinking about receiver upgrade...

Bronze Member
Username: Arande2

Post Number: 19
I have been thinking about upgrading my receiver. I might want to go for a Pioneer or maybe a Rotel. If anyone has any suggestions please don't hold back.
www.rotel.com

Platinum Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 11760
Budget?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 22
Oh yeah that's what I forgot!

Budget max of about $2600 sorry I forgot

Bronze Member
Username: Rysa3

Houston, Texas

Post Number: 62
whats the use for? HT or 2 channel hi fi audio--or both or other-- makes a big difference in recs from me anyway.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 23
I'm looking for a receiver with primary usage of music listening but for HT too.

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 4743
What is your present equipment and what do you want to improve upon?
The volume? The features?

Bronze Member
Username: Shawnharman

Post Number: 33
would that budget include speakers or just the receiver?

Gold Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 1740
Andre,

If music is important to you I suggest you look at the Arcam receivers. They don't have the full feature list of the Denons, Pioneers etc., and they're not as powerful as the Rotels but they are far more musical in my opinion.

This is, of course, presuming that your speakers aren't the devil to drive...

Regards,
Frank.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 24
Ok my present equipment isn't the very best, but I've decided to go from a really REALLY cheap to the better part of the home audio spectrum.

Right now I have a Yamaha HTR-5740 for the receiver, 2 KLHAV5001s for the mains and front and back centers (yes I know it's sad), some old Bose I got from some guy at a garage sale, a cheap ($100) Magnavox DVD player, StraightWire interconnects (mostly level 1 and 2, some monster cable as well), and of course the dish and gaming systems.

I'm starting with the receiver and working my way out from the heart. I need an XLR subwoofer output which I haven't really been able to find.

My goal is to achieve more output and to be able to tune to the system better (.5 db increments etc.). I'm wanting more power also to make the amp able to produce peaks and of course I like to test the amp's macho (which I do almost daily around here).

Hopefully this has helped you to understand what I'm looking for~

P.S. The Budget is toward the amp yes.}

Bronze Member

Post Number: 33
Yeah it's been a couple days now whooo! Anyway, I've decided that maybe I could use the Yamaha as a preamp for another amp until I later upgrade to a better preamp. Just thought it might be a good idea.

Gold Member

Post Number: 4842
Andre, for a next step into better sound, I went with a Harmon Kardon receiver.
It does not present itself in any way like your Yamaha, however.

Simply adding an amp to the receiver will likely add volume, and probably some bass authority over the Yammy alone, but will likely end up as a louder Yammy.
If this is what you want, so be it.

You might consider your source as another way to ramp up.
What cdp do you have?

The player is not as glamorous as a new receiver or amp, but it is, after all, well...the source.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 56
If you mean cd player then I use my Dvd as a cd player. Since I couldn't afford a better Dvd player at the time I got a $50 dollar Magnavox. The Dig. Coax connecting it costs $75 if that tells you anything.

I would very much like to upgrade it to a much better model... If you want to know more check my thread on Dvd Players in home video. Otherwise, if you prefer I get like something other than a new Dvd player then go right ahead

Bronze Member

Post Number: 57
Seems that I put it as $100 up earlier in the thread. Maybe I mean that's what it cost then and $50 now in case you notice that =P

Gold Member

Post Number: 4854
Andre, any bucks saved count as money in the bank.
You might want to demo some dedicated cdplayers.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 65
Hey in case you haven't seen my age yet, I'm at the age where I (particularly me as a person) tend to save every last penny I can. I've saved $300 so far from various things such as school lunch money (no not bullying for money, haha nice try), getting jobs around the community, and anything that can be converted to money without losing anything important (who would sell an old Bose multimedia speaker set anyway?).
I use those with my bedroom system, which is hooked up to that Scott receiver, even the unswitched outlet on the back.

Silver Member
Username: Jorge59

Rio de JaneiroBrasil

Post Number: 101
Andre,

If you want to upgrade your system, think about starting by what makes the bigger difference: the speakers. Then you might go for the receiver, sources etc. From your starting point, you probably don't need to jump to high end stuff ($$$$). Look for good value in speakers (Ascend, Paradigm, B&W etc..etc) and receivers like Marantz, HK, Pioneer Elite, Denon etc.

Silver Member

400dB could probably d..., 4000 isnt ev... 100,000dB FU...

Post Number: 106
A good B&W or Paradigm is what I was planning on in speakers, however I also plan to upgrade the bass with a MartinLogan Descent first. I'm just looking for weak links in the system that might be hindering other parts if this makes sense. I bet it does.

Username: Db77

Salem, NH

Post Number: 4
Andre I am running a NAD T763 with Paradigm Monitor's and I think it sounds fantastic for the money.

When I auditioned speakers for my system I also looked at Bowers and Wilkins and found them to be very good for vocals, acoustis music and classical. However when playing heavier stuff like rock or rap they couldn't keep up with the paradigm monitor's. They sounded thin and tinny.

Personally I like a sound that is somewhat bright and forward when listening to certain things like songs that are mostly vocal with limited music accompanyment but I find that speakers that do this best tend to be too bright to be an all around versatile speaker for playing all types of music so I went with the Paradigm Monitor 7's which are warmer and more laid back than the B & W 603's I auditioned. Plus bright speakers like B & W will fatigue your ears after awhile while the Paradigm's won't.

I also highly recomend PSB speakers.

Everything is so subjective and you may not like what I like in terms of sound so the best advice I can offer as many many people have done on here time and time again is to try and audition as many component/speaker combinations that you can and decide which is best for your personal tastes.

For me at my price point that happened to be NAD and Paradigm monitors.

Bets of luck and please let us know what you decide.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us