HDMI Video Isolation

Username: Anthonyvin

Post Number: 2
I have a Yamaha Receiver with 2 HDMI in's and 1 HDMI out's. Currently, my computer DVI out is connected to one of the HDMI in's (DVR/VCR2 source) and my DVD player is connected to the other. The HDMI out from the receiver is connected to our 40" LCD. Our cable box is connected to the receiver with a component video cable and a Dolby Digital Audio cable. The audio from the computer is connected to the receiver through the MD/Tape source. I am able to play music from the computer, CD player or tuner on the receiver and watch video from the cable box through the receiver to the LCD. When either the DVD player or Computer video is selected, though, only that corresponding audio can be heard. Is there a setting to isolate the audio or video going to the receiver through the HDMI inputs? Can I watch video from an HDMI input and listen to audio from a strictly audio source, simultaneously?

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 9404

You are probably going to have to go through the receiver's set up menu to assign inputs and turn them on. I can't say for certain what provisions Yamaha has made for separating audio and video inputs, but it would seem as if there would be no desire to separate the HDMI audio and video of the DVD player, satellite box, etc. Normally, I would say that would mean you can't separate them. But who really knows what the manufacturers think is a worthy contribution to their never ending fount of button and knob tweaking. Your dealer would be your best resource for a question like that.

Username: Anthonyvin

Post Number: 5
The receiver we have is an RX-V2600. When I select either the DVD or DVR/VCR2 source (which are the HDMI inputs) and then select MD/Tape, Tuner, or CD source (which are strictly audio inputs) the video from the DVD or DVR/VCR2 goes away. When I select the cable box source (a component video and dolby digital input) and then select MD/Tape, Tuner, or CD source (which are strictly audio inputs) the video from the cable box remains. I've been told that it's because the HDMI carries both video and audio on the one cable?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us