Why won't it work?

Username: Father_of_the_year

Omaha, Ne Us

Post Number: 3
I have a toshiba 2005 television with digital audio outputs ang a onyko reciever with line/dvd, cdr, md, and tape inputs. Why can't I get television sound through my reciever. I have tried all the reciever's inputs with no luck. Is my dolby digital television not campatible with my reciever?

Bronze Member
Username: Shawnharman

Post Number: 31
do you have the tv hooked up to the receiver through the the digital output?

Omaha, Ne Us

Post Number: 4
yes, but will my reciever accept a digital signal?

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 9393

It would be hard to imagine your receiver not working with your TV. However, to begin with, you don't normally run the audio signal from the TV to the receiver. If you have a cable box or satellite receiver, the signal is typically taken from this unit to the audio receiver. If you have neither source and you are taking the DD signal from an off air antenna, you will need a HDTV tuner to receive DD signals and these will only exist on programs broadcast in HD.

Which inputs you should use is something we can't tell you when you only tell us you have an Onkyo receiver. I would suggest you call the shop where you either bought the TV or the receiver and ask for some after the sale assistance.

Gold Member
Username: Leew

XXXX!!WWWW, Yokosuka, ... SPESNAZ. ...

Post Number: 1021
Upload

Bronze Member
Username: Lorneth1

Post Number: 13
Yeah! Put that Visio in use. Nice diagram.

Omaha, Ne Us

Post Number: 5
Thanks for the help so far. I have niether a cable box or hi def/ digital cable. My cable comes directly from the wall to my t.v. My t.v. has a built in dvd/vcr. My only option is to go from the t.v. to the reciever, unless i purchase something else.

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 9394

Have you read the owner's manual?

Gold Member
Username: Leew

XXXX!!WWWW, Yokosuka, ... SPESNAZ. ...

Post Number: 1027
well, then connect from "headphone out" straight to receiver! 100% will work!!! Maybe you have to get adapter for that: two RCA male one side 3.5mm male the other side...looks like "Y"

Bronze Member
Username: Rysa3

Houston, Texas

Post Number: 56
Okay- you say that your Toshiba combo TV has digital audio outputs. I have some experience with those Toshiba combo deals and have some doubts. Be that as it may, is the uadio ouput from your toshiba Optical, Coaxial Digital, or HDMI?

Omaha, Ne Us

Post Number: 6
there is a left and right, red and white rca output. and directly above that it says coaxial with an rca output that is orange.

Bronze Member

Houston, Texas

Post Number: 58
Okay. That orange one is a coaxial digital audio output most likely. That is your friend. It is NOT an RCA output and you must you a coaxial audio digital cable. In fact, the one I used to use is Orange ( the cable).

Also, your Onkyo, MUST be have a coaxial digital input. It may or may not.

I am guessing you arent using the correct cable for the digital audio output OR your Onkyo oes not have a coaxial digital input.

I'm with Jan on consulting your owners manual.

Omaha, Ne Us

Post Number: 7
my onkyo does not have a coaxial digital input, but it has rca inputs for md, cdr, and line/dvd. are these not digital?

Omaha, Ne Us

Post Number: 8
i have read the manual and the only information it gives on audio is that the tv puts out a dolby digital signal.

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 9398

If I am understanding you correctly, you should just use the analog outouts of the TV running to any of the analog inputs of the Onkyo that you find convenient. The analog jacks/plugs are the red & white RCA connectors. You are only going to have two channel audio apparently and not a full blown DD 5.1 HT system, though you can use a matrix format such as Pro Logic to get surround sound. Dolby Digital will only be in two channel and I wouldn't be concerned about whether you are putting two channel analog or digital through the receiver. If you have a digital coax out from the TV, you would have to have a receiver with a digital coax input. You say you don't have that connection on your present receiver, so you shouldn't be too concerned until you decide to upgrade your receiver.

You will more than likely have to get into the set up menu of the TV to assign the audio output to the rear panel jacks. Your owner's manual should tell you what needs to be done. You will then have to decide whether you want to run fixed or variable outputs from the TV. I would suggest fixed output and control the volume with the receiver. Turn the internal speakers to the TV "Off" and that should get you up and running with sound through the receiver. If this doesn't work or you can't decipher the set up menu, I would then call your dealer.

Bronze Member

Houston, Texas

Post Number: 59
jan is right of course. Scott- if you give me the model number of your Onkyo receiver, I'd be able to help you more with any options other than 2 channel red and white, which, as Jan is saying, is basically what you have right now.

What model Onkyo do you have?

Username: Dobugp

Greensboro, NORTH CAROLINA USA

Post Number: 1
My receiver is Model STR-DE 925 I have all speakers wired but turned on no sound. ONLY THE WORD PROTECTER KEEPS FLASHING on the reciever. please help someone.

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 4737
Prentiss, the way to start a new thread is via the 'start a new thread' selection at the top.

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 9403

PF - Try unplugging the receiver from the AC outlet for about 30 minutes. If that doesn't bring back sound, contact a service center.

Bronze Member

Houston, Texas

Post Number: 61
Actually check the wiring of your speakers-- there should be no frays or twistees in the middle of the speaker wire path--meaning wires twisted together-- this will activate the protective mechanism of the receiver.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us