Denon 2910 vs. NAD 542 for CD playback?

Username: 20hz

Post Number: 1
Hi all,

I found this forum when googling 542 vs. 2910, and noticed that at least 2 of the members here have (or have had) both. My question is has anyone A/B'd these 2 players for CD playback?

I need to replace my CD player, and I have a noisy (transport) DVD player, and was thinking about getting a universal player, so I can sample the hi-rez formats. After reading some, I'm begining to think that I'll be less than pleased with the cd playback on most sub-$500 universal players, but I've read that the 2910 has pretty excellent audio (including CD) playback, and it can be found now for less than $500.

Sooo.. Anyone compared these back to back? I'm wondering if the cd playback of the 542 is going to be better to the extent that it outweighs the benefits of the 2910 (ability to junk my old DVD player, ability to play hi-rez formats).

The rest of my system is: B&W 704 fronts, Arcam AVR250, UFW-10 sub, older Boston Acoustic full size surrounds.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Silver Member
Username: My_rantz

Australia

Post Number: 956
I found the 3910 is as good as the 542, I have both, but have not heard the 2910 to compare. My previous 2900 was not quite as good as the 542.

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 3693
No contest the 542 whips the 2910 in just about everyway for redbook. I owned them both.

Post Number: 2
hmm..whips in every way. Ok so let me rephrase; Does it whip it enough to force me to buy a separate CD player, and live with my junky DVD player, and no hi-rez capability?

I realize that's a question I'm going to have to answer, but if you could quantify your response a little, i.e. does it have more detail, sound more complete, better soundstaging, etc that'd be helpful.

I may just have to figure out a way to A/B them..

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 3696
The 542 has more of everything that I consider musical (which is all of the the characteristics you listed plus). This subject has been visited a number of times here so you may want to check the archives.

Post Number: 3
after some more looking around, I think I'm going to give the Cambridge Azur540D a try. I realize I'm sacrificing SACD support, but oh well. Positive user reviews on this forum and professional reviews on the web (it's apparently an excellent CD player, for the money), plus the fact that I can get it for a song, make this appear to be a great solution for now.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us