CDP Upgrade from Marantz CD-6000 OSE LE

Username: Hi_fi_guy

Post Number: 3
Hello all,

Needed your advice on CDP upgrade.

Currently using a Marantz CDP-6000 OSE LE.
Paired with a Marantz PM-7200 Integrated
Speakers are B&W 601 S2 bookshelves.

I have almost finalised my upgrade for the speakers. Will most probably be going for the Monitor Audio GS-10 bookshelves.

From going through the entire CDP section on this forum, I understand the following CDPs are generally recommended.

Cambridge Audio Azur
NAD 542
Rotel RCD 1072

Parameters:
1. My CDP budget tops out at 1000 USD.
2. I would like the CDP to be HDCD capable.
3. Speaker upgrade to the Monitor Audios GS-10s is almost for sure finalised.

Also, to be borne in mind is that I will also be eventually upgrading my amp to a Rotel RB 1080 or an Advance Acoustic 200 wpc integrated, though the amp upgrade is not in the immediate future.

My queries are as follows:
1. Which of the above would you recommend based on my existing electronics and possible future upgrade ? More importantly, reasons for recommendations...technical specs etc.
2. Will the upgrade to any of the CDPs listed above, be a significant upgrade in terms of music quality and purity, or will it not justify the cost of the upgrade ?

Reason for CDP upgrade:
1. Irritated by the occasional refusal of the CD-6000 OSE to play perfectly ok CDs and similar problems while skipping tracks.
2. Would like to move up in the audiophile experience.

Thanks all in advance. Looking forward to your inputs.

hi_fi_guy

Silver Member
Username: Daniel_canada

Canada

Post Number: 218
Can you save some more $$ and look at the
Musicial Fidelity A3.5 player? The GS-10 books are sweet.

Post Number: 7
Dan,

As tempting as that sounds, I am rebuilding the entire setup and the budget cannot extend beyond this. Actually even $1000 is a bit more. I just mentioned it to see what specific options I could consider with that amount.

Right now, the NAD C542 seems to be the most cost effective and qualitiative option at Rs.28500 (Indian Rupees) (1 US $ ~ Rs.45)

The Rotel RCD 1072 is Rs. 41500.

What I would like to know from your experiences is whether the Rotel is that much better ? Does it warrant the extra dough ?

(p.s. the NAD C542 too has HDCD like the Rotel RCD 1072.)

thanks all.

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 3722
The Rega Apollo is not HDCD ready but is still better than all of the above. Worth consideration.

Username: Morozky

Post Number: 2
NAD 542 sounds best of them-even Rega Apollo does have diffuculties to get same level BUT NAD 542 has big failure rate. Technical point it is surprisingly weak-a lot of NO DISC-symptoms have happened to users.

Silver Member
Username: My_rantz

Australia

Post Number: 967
I had my 542 for a year now and it has had a thorough workout without any problems at all. All brands have their problems even the Apollo hasn't always read a disc correctly. That's not to say the 542 is better, I know it's not, but it's half the price of the Apollo here. All the above mentioned are worthy contenders, it's money vs quality vs your ears that's important.

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 3724
I forgot to mention that I owned the C542 and the Rotel RCD971 and later a modified RCD 971. Enjoyed them all. Liked the Rotel and Rega better than any. As MR states it's about what you like not what we like. Give them all a listen and let us know.

Username: Develara

Post Number: 6
Sorry about the Marantz 6000OSE LE ...its just a very good player ...just try to fix the problem try changing the lens .... its equally good to NAD and better then Cambridge and Rotel. Marantz are always good at Cd and DVD players i have a Marantz 72SE player which is working fine for years . just try for new lens
dev

Bronze Member

Post Number: 14
well..

will see what i can do about that lens. if that fixes the problem, i can spare some of that dough for other areas.

thanks dev.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us