Receiver for b&w 602's

Username: Gov

Post Number: 1
hello all--

i have b&w 602's and i am leaning towards the marantz 7001 avr. i have the lcr60 and some in wall cwm650's in the back. hsu stf-3 sub. any thought son this receiver with these speakers?

i also was real interested in the rotel 1057 but i need 7.1 since i have a second zone. i suppose i could add a cheap two chanel amp since the second zone is only kitchen cooking music. the rotel turned me off a bit since i did not feel (but i am by NO means an expert) it was very strong in the video side of things--limited surround modes--lack of audio pass through over hdmi etc. also not sure about the 75 wpc rating--the marantz is rated at 110 wpc. not sure how big a deal the extra 35 wpc is but it is about 50% more power nonetheless. i have heard rotel is among the most accurate ratings but i have also heard marantz is pretty accurate as well.

does anyone have any other suggestions for avr's with my speakers at around $1000 with hdmi?? also needs to fit on a 17" shelf so the pioneer's and a few others are out.

thanks in advance.

gov

Platinum Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 11642
Take a look at the Pioneer Elite series of receivers. I think they work well with Bowers and Wilkins.

Post Number: 2
thanks berny--the pio's are too deep at almost 18" before the speaker connects so they will not work.

any other ideas?

Platinum Member

Post Number: 11646
ooops, sorry about that, I did not see the size requirements.

How about getting a bigger shelf, it'll be a shame to narrow down the receivers because of size :-)

Is HDMI a must?

Post Number: 3
well the situation is dictating a few things here. the shelf is a built in system about 8 feet wide by 11.5 feet high so that's not going anywhere ;) and since this is the only thing that possibly will not fit (meaning the cdp, dvd, cable etc WILL fit), i need to stay in these parameters.

the marantz is only something like 15 inches.

having said that, i do want the best sound possible so if for some reason the marantz was like oil and water with my b&w's, i would HAVE to come up with something better.

any other suggestions????

thanks again berny--if you've got other ideas, i'm all ears.

Silver Member
Username: My_rantz

Australia

Post Number: 955
The Marantz will be fine with the 602's. I've been using a SR7300 with them for a long while before throwing a NAD into the system. The 7300 still drives my center and rear surrounds - see my profile.

Marantz and 602's sound very nice.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 11648
Try this on for size. One of the better products I have tried and will do you B&W justice.

http://www.outlawaudio.com/products/1070.html

the only drawback is that it does not have HDMI. Only DVI. I do not believe it is such a big deal since HDMI is yet standardized and may yet change again. You can also connect your HDMI source directly to your TV.

Bronze Member
Username: Jedi1

Post Number: 24
yes, B&W602s3 is fine with Marantz. my month i just bought SR7500. is sound great.
to M.R:
with my SR7500 i have to turn up the volume until -20 or -15 or more a bit. at this level, then the sound will much more powerful. this will spoil the speaker????? tq...

Silver Member
Username: My_rantz

Australia

Post Number: 960
You have no worries at -20,-15 or even higher. You will hear the speakers clip with too much volume and you never want to turn the reciever's volume all the way. The 602's can handle quite a bit or power. Those measurements are around what I had on my 7300 and it is quite normal. Congrats on the gear, Enjoy!

Bronze Member
Username: Jedi1

Post Number: 25
ok great, now i get it M.R. now i have more confident with my SR7500 and B&W602s3.
thanks M.R
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us