Speaker Choice

Username: Soundstorm

Post Number: 1
I'm putting together a 2-channel system for an entertainment room and have purchased an HK3480 Stereo Receiver and JBL's 400w Powered Sub. I'm looking to spend about $1000 on speakers. I decided to check out the Polk RTi10's...which also has a free (but weak) sub offer now. The wrench in the system is when I found a pair of Martin Logan Mosaic's for the same money. It seems like a whole new level of speaker...a chevy to a benz. The specs seem challenging though, especially with the 5 ohm rating of the Logan's. The Logan's seem like a much, much better brand and quality. Please, any advice on this purchase? Thanks for the help...

Gold Member
Username: Stu_pitt

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 1533
That's because Martin Logan is a much better speaker. Harmon Kardon is a good company. Any claims they make power wise can be taken as truth, unlike stuff you'll see on the floor at Best Buy.

I think the Harmon Kardon should be able to run the ML's without any worries. They would benefit from a better sounding power source, not that the H/K is bad at all.

Not that I'm trying to mess up everything you've got but...

Can you still bring back the H/K?
How much did you pay, if you don't mind me asking?
Can you still bring back the JBL?

If keeping the H/K and ML's, the JBL is going to be the weak link by far. I'm guessing that you saw the ML's in Magnolia in Best Buy. If so, check out the Martin Logan subs. The lowest priced one is about $500, and will wipe the floor with the JBL.

Also, you may be overlooking something important as well... What is your source? Are you using a good CD player?

Post Number: 2
Thanks Stu. I've been a big fan of the HK amps for some time, but I do realize that I'm now playing in the bigger leagues! I got the HK for a measely $289. I'd probably keep it and upgrade to something better w/o the exchange. The 400w sub MSRP is 799, I got that for $289 as well. (employee discount through a friend). I actually ordered the JBL L880's given their range and sensitivity levels, but one was defective and that turned me off to the line (I also considered upgrading to the L890). I've been looking into Axiom, Aperion and Polk, and the Polk RTi10 looked good, sounded good and seemed like a good deal...until I saw the ML's at the same price! I'll be using a dated CD player and MP3 players intially but will be getting a new CD player as well. It sounds like even with the HK receiver, you'd still highly recommend the ML's over the Polks correct? That's where I'm leaning, I'm just afraid that I'm going to go do the sound check (they didn't have the MLs in stock when I was test driving the Polks) and the Polks may sound better given their range, ohm rating and sensitivy levels. But at the same time, knowing that the ML's are a much better deal. Do you think that the Martin Logan's will actually sound better? As solid bass, real crisp highs and loudness will probably be better with the Polk (?)given their specs) I'm guessing I should listen more for clarity and separation? I'm a novice in all respects! Thanks!

Bronze Member
Username: Rysa3

Houston, Texas

Post Number: 43
I'd recommend you take some more time listening to speaker brands as you are able. One thing thats disappointing is when you put together a system and realize you wished you had done it differently.

Each of your system components individually is OK in isolation but as a group its not a good mix IMHO.

The HK Receiver is OK but wont optimally drive MLs, although you can hook em up and sound will come out of the speakers to be sure. Heck I used to run floorstanding Boston Acoustics ( lo those years ago) with the wimpy amp in my plasma Monitor of all things! And an HK receiver isnt wimpy by any stretch! But not optimal for 5 ohms either at moderate to high volumes.

I dont feel that the JBL sub will integrate well with the MLs for music either.

Take your time and keep listening.

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 4661
Garrett, if the H/K is still available that cheaply, why not consider another and mono-bridge them?
I ran a H/K avr55 into 4 ohm speakers(Psb stratus silver) and it never even coughed.
Down to 3.2 ohms. Friendly phase xo, though.

The Mosaic's are low but steady inpedance. A mono bridge would not have any issues.
Cheap power from H/K.

Post Number: 3
The advice here is very much appreciated. I never thought about mono-bridging. I like this idea as another HK3480 lying around isn't a bad thing either, and for 299 could hold me over until I get some real power.

Question: To mono-bridge, I take the Pre-Amp out (HK3480 #1) and hook it into Main In on HK3480 #2 correct?

How do you then configure the speaker set-up? HK3480 #1 powers Martin Logan (left) and HK3480 #2 powers Martin Logan (right)? Do I set both receivers to run on Speakers 1+2 and have 4 sets of wires out of each (Postive and Negative for Left Speaker 1 AND Positive and Negative for Left Speaker 2) and then hook that to the (Left) Martin Logan? And vice versa for HK3480 #2 to the right Martin Logan? OR do you set both receivers to "Speaker 1" L and R and send power from both amps (Left 1) to MLogan Left and both right sides speaker 1 to MLogan Right?

Gold Member

Post Number: 4679
Garrett, I may have done you a disservice. Upon further inspection og the 3480's back panel, I do not see a selection for mono bridging. My last H/K had the option, I assumed this one did as well/My bad.

How about a couple of these?

http://www.outlawaudio.com/products/2200.html

Certainly no impedence issues there.

Gold Member

Post Number: 4680
I agree with Marc on your sub, too. Sorry. That sub will work very well, no doubt, with standard box speakers.
If you run the Mosaics, the sub might seem a bit slow.

In all honesty, the ML's might expose the rest of the kit, as is wont to happen.

Username: Rector

Earlville, Illinois

Post Number: 1
Hi all, I'm new to this chat room but need some advice, even if it's that I'm in the wrong chat area on this site. Anyway I recently purchased a Pioneer VSX 24TX Elite recieve for both home theater and music. I am considering a new set of speakers but I'm on a budget and would like to know if anyone knows about the Cadence Cinema series speaker and how they compare to other speaker sets. These include the Cadence A-15 3-way towers, the Cadence C-15 MTM center channel, and the Cadence S-15 sattelites. Any feedback or advice?

Username: Rector

Earlville, Illinois

Post Number: 2
Hi all, I'm new to this chat room but need some advice, even if it's that I'm in the wrong chat area on this site. Anyway I recently purchased a Pioneer VSX 24TX Elite recieve for both home theater and music. I am considering a new set of speakers but I'm on a budget and would like to know if anyone knows about the Cadence Cinema series speaker and how they compare to other speaker sets. These include the Cadence A-15 3-way towers, the Cadence C-15 MTM center channel, and the Cadence S-15 sattelites. Any feedback or advice? You can reply to my email at Floyd_Crook@hotmail.com also.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us