Musical Fidelity x 10v3 tube buffer

Bronze Member
Username: Byam

Post Number: 20
I have a NAD c542 cd player and a c320bee integrated amp driving a pair of Dynaudio Audience 42 speakers. When I listen to some classical and other music that has a lot of solo piano the sound is just a bit bright. I was thinking of trying a Musical Fidelity x 10v3 tube buffer between the cd player and amp. I have read reviews both for and against. I am questioning the use of it particularly for the NAD set up. Any thoughts or results of you trying this would be appreciated.
Thanks

Silver Member
Username: Ravbains

MelbourneAustralia

Post Number: 308
Hi Bill,

I guess this tube buffer is something that you will have to try to see if it makes an improvement.

In principle, I am against adding extra circuitry in the signal path. But, I have read stuff written from people more knowledgeable from me that the op-amp output stage of a typical CD player is not even capable of driving a 1 metre interconnect cable, let alone anything else. So there is a type of argument for using a buffer to provide a more substantial load-tolerant output from the CD player towards the amplifier.

The following is a solid state buffer unit, made by a local Melbourne tweaker company. It seems to be well reviewed, and has good customer feedback also.

http://www.bursonaudio.com/Burson%20HDAM%20Buffer.htm

If possible, get the dealer to loan you the x10v3 so you can try it at home, and see if it provides you with any sonic benefits.

cheers
Rav

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 4639
Rav, quality post, man!

Silver Member
Username: Ravbains

MelbourneAustralia

Post Number: 309
-thanks Nuck.

These type of buffers exist to better interface a CD player to the amp, but it does kind of raise many questions in my mind. In Bill's case he is trying to use the buffer for a bit of tonal adjustment, since he mentions a brightness on piano recordings.

OT: My system is working great at the moment, my "new-to-me" pre-owned Tri-Vista amp is making all the right sounds with the Dyn 1.3se's. There is some good synergy between the amp and the speakers happening!

I read your posts on the Focus 220, I cannot comment much, but I must say that my thoughts beforehand did kind of predict that it would not be a walk in the park for the Focus-220 to beat your PSB's. In my view to make a good floorstanding speaker normally involves a mega-buck price tag. But in any case, what did you decide in the end?

cheers
Rav

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 4668
Rav, I responded in Focus 220, so as not to Kill Bill.
Hey what a great name...

Bronze Member
Username: Jingka99

Kuala Lumpur, Kuala Lumpur Malaysia

Post Number: 69
Hi, going back to the audio buffer, has anyone here tried this Burson Audio buffer? Any pros and cons? What does the experts here think about this? Is it worth it?

Thanks...
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us