CD or SACD?

Bronze Member
Username: Underarock

Milwaukee, WI USA

Post Number: 75
I just saw a refurbished NAD C542, a CD player I've heard nothing but good things about, for $349 (DMC Electronics, I believe). I was ready to jump at it, but then, as is usual with me, started waffling. Is this a good investment, or would I be better off with something that supports SACD (Oppo comes to mind). The C542 does support HDCD, which helps, and I do have a pretty decent turntable (Dual 606). But some would say that SACD beats the pants off most vinyl, but I'm wondering. There are SACD players and then there are other SACD players, ranging from maybe $150 to $3,000 or more. Is "run-of-the-mill" SACD better than a good turntable? Do I sound confused???? You bet!!! :-)

Any thoughts?

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 4618
Hi Rocky. I am sorry, but you will have to remind me which 5 speaker setup you have to optomize sacd.
Or do you mean sacd in stereo?
Thats hdcd, for me.

Silver Member
Username: My_rantz

Australia

Post Number: 938
Unless you already have a SACD collection, get the C542 - hard to beat for the money. A low price SACD player will not provide the benefits you're looking for.

Bronze Member

Milwaukee, WI USA

Post Number: 76
Nuck and MR, thanks for your input!

Well, I am looking at strictly stereo -- home theater is not an interest for me (many of the movies I watch pre-date stereo!).

If, as Nuck says, SACD stereo ~ HDCD, then NAD is the way to go (or possibly a Rotel). I recently bought a non-hybrid SACD (Jeff Beck's "Blow by Blow"), and I was ignorant of the fact that it would't play on my Sony jukebox or the DVD player . Well, I still have the LP, at least.

Bronze Member

Milwaukee, WI USA

Post Number: 79
FYI, to anyone who cares(?), I managed to get a NAD C541I on eBay yesterday afternoon, and will be on pins and needles waiting for that to come (along with my Outlaw RR2150 receiver).

The question now is what to do with my "old" Sony jukebox. All my disks are in it!

Silver Member
Username: Ravbains

MelbourneAustralia

Post Number: 307
Congrats u_a_rock, I think you have got yourself a good CD player there!!!!

cheers
Rav

Silver Member
Username: Mike3

Wiley, Tx USA

Post Number: 212
The Sony will make for a nice storage case. :-)
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us