What should I be looking for?

Bronze Member
Username: Underarock

Milwaukee, WI USA

Post Number: 70
New to this particular forum.

I was wondering what basic characteristics should I be considering, aside from the sound, in a new CD player? I can maybe spend up to $300, which is peanuts in the audio world, I know, and currently use a Sony jukebox. I also have an older Nakamichi changer, as well, that I haven't used in some years. Neither has SACD capability, which certainly is an attribute that might be useful in a newer deck.

I'm also assuming that I can maybe get a better player for the money on the pre-owned market, if I knew what to watch out for.

Silver Member
Username: Ravbains

MelbourneAustralia

Post Number: 303
Hi,

Perhaps you could be looking for a used Rotel RCD-02, or even a RCD-1072. These are both CD only, but good machines. Also you could consider a used NAD C541, C541i or C542. I am not sure on prices, best to check your local classified ads.

But if buying new, perhaps you could consider the Oppo universal DVD player, or a entry level universal Pioneer.

cheers
Rav

Bronze Member

Milwaukee, WI USA

Post Number: 72
Thanks for the tips, Rav! I checked eBay and Audiogon, none of the models you mentioned are available at this time, but I'll be checking some other sites.

As an aside, I ran across a thread here that mentioned that I may need to be concerned with the "use by" date on the laser? What is that, and what does it really mean? For example, right now I can get one of those "new in box" Harman Kardon HD-7500 CD players, but now I wonder if it would be a very short-lived piece of equipment.

Silver Member

MelbourneAustralia

Post Number: 304
Hi u_a_rock,

I would not think that the life of the laser is something you need to worry about, unless buying a used machine more than 10 or so years old.

The laser doesn't have a "use-by" date, so much as a service life, so it is dependant on how much the machine has been used.

But IMHO this is something you don't need to worry about in that case unless buying an older machine, in that case you could investigate if a replacement part is readily available before commiting to buy the machine.

good luck
Rav

Bronze Member

Milwaukee, WI USA

Post Number: 73
Hi, Rav

Thank you for your prompt reply.

So, if I understood you properly, it's not necessarily the actual age of the unit, as it is the number of years it's actually been used. If so, then that makes me feel a little more secure regarding "pre-owned" units. (We do live in age of of euphemism, don't we?)

u-a-r

Silver Member

MelbourneAustralia

Post Number: 305
Correct..........

BTW here is a link to a fair review of the Oppo unit:

http://www.tnt-audio.com/sorgenti/oppo_dv970_e.html

Also the older Rotel's are very good also, eg the Rotel RCD-971, look out for one if you can. Here's a link to a review on the 971.

http://www.enjoythemusic.com/magazine/equipment/1200/rcd971.htm

cheers
Rav

Silver Member

MelbourneAustralia

Post Number: 306
Also consider the Rotel 991

You can find plenty of reviews sorted A-Z below:

https://www.ecoustics.com/editorial/reviews/Single-CD-Player/Alpha-Name/All/

Bronze Member

Milwaukee, WI USA

Post Number: 74
Rav, thanks for the info and the links (although som e are now dead...:-().

Anyway, I do have my eye on a Rotel 971 now on eBay, but will see if I can find a 991 out on the 'Net. NAD 541's are a bit harder to find in this country right now.

But I'm having fun (and spending way too much time!) looking!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us