Receiver with 12 V trigger

Bronze Member
Username: Serniter

Piscataway, New Jersey USA

Post Number: 83
I found a set of home theater speakers that will work only with a receiver with a 12 V trigger for the subwoofer. Do any of the entry level (Pioneer, Yamaha, Onkyo) receivers have such a trigger? Further, has anyone heard a similar set of speakers from Boston Acoustics? Thank you.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 84
Here's a link to the speakers:
http://www.audioadvisor.com/store/productdetail.asp?sku=BOSTAVIDEA770B&product_n ame=Avidea%206%2E1%20Channel%20Speaker%20System

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 4598
Srinivas, you have been around here long enough to know the answer to this one, Never buy anything that is exclusively powered or controlled.
if it smalls like Bose, and looks like Bose...

Bronze Member

Post Number: 85
Yeah, I almost got taken in by the low price!! Actually, I am trying to save friends from plonking down huge money on Bose by showing them alternatives.. perhaps Orb audio or KEF then.

Username: Dbpaddler

Post Number: 1
I only signed up because there was a thread about these speakers in another forum, and someone posted this thread as a reason to stay away from them. And on one post from one person you're going to stay away from these speakers because they have a box.

They have a box because they were made to be part of a fairly high end home theater setup from BA a couple years ago. The product is gone, but there were quite a few leftover speaker sets with nothing to match them up to. Since these were part of a system, the preamp/processor functions were done in the main dvd unit. The only thing in the sub were the amps and the speaker connections. It was connected via a main cable. So since that is the only connection to the sub they had to make a control box to allow it to work with a normal receiver. There is no rule that says you have to use it that way. You can use the control box strictly for the sub out connection and 12v trigger. If your receiver doesn't have a 12v trigger, you can splice into almost any ac adapter and plug it into the switched outlet on the receiver or have it always on by going to the wall. You can then connect the speakers directly to your receiver like you would any other speaker. They do have proprietary plastic connectors (idiot proofing for those that needed it and hence were buying an HTIB to begin with), but they come apart very easily to show your typical two wires that will work with your receiver. You could also use your own wire if you had something prewired and pop them onto the plugs. It's not rocket science.
You set your receiver as follows:
front speakers: small
Sub: LFE+main
Filter: 150hz

Pretty easy. Sorry I don't have 4000 posts like skippy up there, but I do have quite a few years in some decent high end home theater installs under my belt. The main speakers don't compare to my M&K S85's I had in my living room, but with the corner fireplace I'm putting in with the tv above doesn't leave room for the S85's. These will do just fine. And the sub alone for $200 is a great buy. Leaps and bounds above the entry level 10" subs from Athena, Velodyne, Infinity and take your pick of any other mainstream company that sells a sub $200 sub.

Here's a review from Sound & Vision magazine on the complete Avidea 770 system which retailed at $4k which is way on the high side, but I'm sure street priced for much less. But I guess they don't know what they're talking about either as they don't have 4000 posts around here. And I can't stand bose either. Sold it for a couple years before doing the home theater thing.
http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/av/676/boston-acoustics-avidea-770-home-enterta inment-system.html

Gold Member

Post Number: 4622
Do any of the entry level (Pioneer, Yamaha, Onkyo) receivers have such a trigger?

Gold Member

Post Number: 4623
Well, half of that post made the trip.

Good first post, RC. Hope you stick around.

second half of post...'Srinivas, RC's info is better than another receiver, Skippy or not"

Post Number: 2
sorry for the little shot in my post. was more for affect than anything.

If the receiver doesn't have a 12v trigger it is not a big deal. Some quick splicing into an old ac adapter will do the trick. The white wire is positive, the bare wire is negative.

Well I was going to attach some pics, but I've already shrunk them once and don't feel like doing it again to make it 800x600. So if you want to see them, just go here:
http://forums.slickdeals.net/showpost.php?p=4487919&postcount=239
The deal on these was posted on a deals site so that's where all the hoopla began. The link is to the first post of pics. The next post has a few more. Hope that helps whoever is interested.

A shame the title of the thread is what it is. More people might be interested in these.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 87
Ryan, thank you for the information. I was not keen on small satellite speakers, but thought they might be good as they're made by a reputable company. Unfortunately, I received one negative response and zero positives. Coupled with the hassle of having to locate a suitable receiver, I decided the effort is not worth it. As you suggested, the sub by itself may be worth the money. Unfortunately, splicing wires would be a hard-sell to friends who would rather get something conventional. I would still appreciate information on receivers with a 12V trigger...

Bronze Member

Post Number: 88
I read through the description of making a 12V trigger out of a wall adapter. Wouldn't this cause the sub-woofer to remain on all the time?

Post Number: 3
if you do splice in, you can always plug it into the switched outlet on the back of the receiver. Then it will turn on and off with the receiver.

As far as receivers with a 12v jack, the Onkyo TX-SR603X has one. I think it's the first in their line that has one. The Yamaha RX-V559 has one as well. Just to give you two.

Post Number: 4
and if it is plugged into an unswitched outlet, it would be on, but it's not drawing any real power as there is no signal going into it.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 89
OK. Thank you.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us