Harman Kardon AVR 645

Username: Mkdhaka

Alexandria, VA USA

Post Number: 6
Has anyone used AVR 645? If yes could you please let know your feedback including price and website. I appreciate the help in advance.

Silver Member
Username: Riches1

Atlanta, GA US

Post Number: 235
Great receiver. Try going to onecall.com or B&H photo.

Username: Morrow

Post Number: 1
I just bought one @ Visions Electronics (Canada). I found a low price @ ecost.com and it displays the CDN dollar amount which helps. I went to visions there reg. price was $1788 it was on sale for $1588 and i showed them the online price from ecost.com added $200ish for duty and shipping, and they gave it to me for $1250CDN.

Good thing about Visions is you can buy the extra warranty and if you have no claims they mail you the store credit when the warranty expires if there was no use (this is rare). I don't have things hooked up yet but $1250 is a great price for this new product from a local retailer. It is a tad sketchy buying online when you're dealing with this kind of money.

Username: Orion

Post Number: 1
I recently bought an AVR645 as my first home theatre receiver. I found that volume to be kind of low. With minium volume at -80db and maximum at +6dB, I have to turn knob to at least -25dB in order to get some reasonable volume. Is this normal? I am troubleshoot with my old 45W/ch stereo amp, and the speakers are efficient (polk audio RTi10) and the problem seems to be the HK AVR645 itself. Can someone educate me?

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 5831
Orion, the receiver is a discrete output type.
This prevents small children from filling their diapers by twisting the loud knob(they love to).
Instead, more than one twist of a child's hand is required to get to the upper registers.

Play safe.

Gold Member
Username: Kano

BC Canada

Post Number: 1143
Orion, I watch movies and some shows at -14dB - Rti8s/AVR430 - sounds pretty normal.

Post Number: 2
Thanks Nuck and Kano. -14dB? seems not too far from its max +6dB. How much more volume can obtain without distortion? How many watt do you think it's giving out at -14dB?

Gold Member

Post Number: 5852
Sufficient, with reserves.

Silver Member
Username: Eramsey

South carolina United States

Post Number: 514
Depends entirely on the speakers. This I know is rather meaningless, but anyway my front floorstanding speakers have 96dBl sensitivity and 4Ohm(nominal)impedence. With cd(coax digital) and dvd-same,any volume setting on my AVR335 above -35 is quite loud and at -10 my God man the walls and floor of the room(15x15) would be pounding and the one window would rattling! With analog inputs (2ch.) -25 would also be quite loud. Usual listening volume position is about -50to -40 The RT10 is a power hungry speaker up to 300Wrms and has fairly steep crossover(12dBl per octave-correct me if I'm wrong) and not very sensitive at 89dBl and would be best driven by a powerful amp in my opinion and in actuality I am confident this would hold true.

Post Number: 3
True, and also the fact that your speakers are high in sensitivity and also 4ohm instead of 8ohm RTi10. Power output could increase by 50%. I have tested my RTi10 with my old stereo amplifier (Rega Brio) with some 40-50W/ch and is LOUD! At only 9 o'clock volume setting on Brio is as loud as -20dB on AVR645. That's the reason I questioned about the lack of power (which is not suppose to) from the AVR645. As Nuck suggested it's a safety feature, however I still haven't had the courage to crank up to over -5dB, it's sure loud at -5dB but close to the upper limit, distortion would be my concern.

Gold Member

Post Number: 5880
Orion, you may have just proven the quality/price conundrum.

Your Rega has more!

Silver Member
Username: Eramsey

South carolina United States

Post Number: 515
That's a tough call then Orion, you can keep the AVR 645-fine receiver and find some more agreeable speakers( a bit higher sensitivity,less complex crossover) or find an amp for the RT10's(also a good speaker) which it is difficult to find a receiver to drive these speakers to their full potential,save a flagship which is a waste of money in my opinion since for the price of most flagship receivers you can get seperates that will offer much more.

Gold Member

Post Number: 5885
Orion, if you are using the receiver for HT and music, then you have a good unit.
For stereo listening, I back up ER above. Particularly if the stereo seperates come pre-loved from a good dealer.

Silver Member
Username: Gamerdude

Ontario Canada

Post Number: 401
I've got the avr-245 and its fine about -25 is about normal volume

when i got mine to distort it was at about -9
i had four speakers running (fronts/rears)
and for some reason the volume only goes to +1 when running four channls

but it was pretty loud

it seems when i hit -20 -- -10 it when it really gets loud

When i game its usaly around -20

I dont have a sub

just two towers with a set of 10's one in each
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us