Fluance ES-1 Towers - Review

Bronze Member
Username: Marsden

Capital City

Post Number: 25
Fluance ES-1 http://www.fluance.com/fluanes1higf.html

Rightly or wrongly, I look for good speakers to show me something new in my favorite music. Even the Altec Lansing XA3021 three-piece system I use with my desktop computer has taught me about the music. (It hasn't taught me much, but it's taught me a bit ;) And I bought it just for looks :-) but when I learned how good it sounded, I bought a set for everyone I knew.

When I hooked up the Fluance towers, they replaced my old beat-up Koss bookshelves. This leaves my Polk bookshelves as my "B" speakers, in another room. There's some virtue in that, as I can walk back and forth to compare the sound, without switching speakers on and off. Therefore the music and amplification are continuous; anyway there's really no comparison. Simply put, the Polks are throwing off a cleaner, more precise sound.

At one point, after listening to the Polks, I actually went to the Fluances and removed the grille off one of the towers so I could put my ear next to the tweeter and make sure it was working. That should tell you something. This wasn't a matter of the Polks being 'bright' -- they're not, particularly -- but of an almost-total absence of the high end on the Fluances. I'm still thinking something's wrong, frankly. I'm driving them with an unpretentious Sony receiver at present--it was the first one to come out of the box (I just moved) and I have been happy with it anyway, for an inexpensive two-channel system. For some reason, I still like two-channel amplification. But then, I don't watch many movies and when I do, they're seldom the Hollywood Blockbuster-type that would make good use of your subwoofer and delayed surrounds.

It would be easy to point at that Sony receiver except for the fact that it is simultaneously throwing off very good sound through the Polks. And where will I find a vintage Conrad-Johnson with a full-function remote?

Anyway: Precision, detail, clarity, imaging... these are words that I want to think when listening to quality music on a good sound system.

After spending a couple of days with jazz and classical from Comcast Music Choice--my chief source of music--I found a few of my CD's, as well as a CD player, and hooked it up. One bit I know well is Earth, Wind & Fire's "All 'n All", having listened to it a thousand times or so ;) So I consider it a good test, particularly given the recording quality (and ensemble playing).

So, what do these Fluance towers sound like playing "All 'n All"? Well, the horn section sounds great--precise; edgy even, without a hint of harshness. Extreme low bass isn't usually a concern of mine, and just as well as the Fluances don't really go there. The rhythm section sounds tight and punchy, except..... cymbals? Snares? High hats? EWF might as well not be playing them. And that matters.

And strings (now I'm mostly talking about classical music again) tend to have a grating, strident edge, even at moderate volume. The whole sound is lacking in transparency and delicacy.

I could probably get used to these Fluances. On the positive side, the sound doesn't appear to have any major gaps or dips in response, aside from the high end and the low end ....sheesh... I'll try again... If I didn't have any decent speakers to compare these with, I might think they throw out some good sound. Seriously, it's not bad, it's just nowhere near as clear and intriguing as the sound I'm used to from the Polks and even the old JBLs (which are a tad bright).

The Polks achieve a seemingly-effortless, shimmering effect with their high end. I miss that.

For some reason, the Fluances sound best with jazz, or piano music. Currently I'm listening to about 40% jazz, 50% classical, and 10% other (mostly rock). I can't explain why the high hats sound better with jazz than they do with rock. I think it has to do with the more spare arrangements--less competition for response at that particular frequency. And the closely-miked vocals common in jazz music are reproduced with a welcome immediacy.

Just now I listened to Wm. Hurlstone's Piano Concerto in D (LPO/Braithwaite) and it confirmed my earlier perceptions: strength and a rich, wonderful tonality in the piano, consistent stridency in the strings. What a shame. But you know, piano music isn't exactly an acid test for any system.

I've never returned a set of speakers in my life, which is one reason I have so many pairs now. But I'm considering doing that with these Fluances, even though the shipping isn't cheap. But I'm going to wait until my Niles speaker control gets here. I'll still run my "front" set directly from the amp, but a "rear" pair (as well as those in other rooms) will be run via the Niles. I put "rear" in quotes because it's not a HT setup, I really prefer just two channels, but I use attenuated rears for sound fill. I play around with their orientation, etc. I want to see how an ensemble sounds before making a final decision. And I really need to locate my CD collection (still in a box somewhere, we all have priorities!) because I want to hear the Metropolitan Opera Orchestra with Leontyne Price singing "Pace Mio Dio" from La Forza del Destino before committing myself one way or another. My listening room is 25x14 by the way, with oak flooring (a loop-pile area rug) and solid-wood panelling.

I really wanted to like these Fluances. I think there's generally too much mark-up in expensive speakers, so I was hoping that these--available directly from the mfr for less than $500--might measure up. They are attractive and unobtrusive--their brushed silver and black design co-ordinates well with the Sony HDTV that I never watch :-) And speaking of "measuring up", they're almost exactly the right height for my setup. I still don't want to spend $1500 for the Polk towers. But I'm wondering...

Okay, since writing the above, I've played the Electric Light Orchestra's "A New World Record" at a healthy volume, since it's music I'm familiar with and like to hear loud. It would appear that the right tower tweeter is blown... it's making a buzzing, sputtering, almost burbling sound and is clearly wrong (and clearly different from the left tower tweeter). I then confirmed this by listening to Lorraine Feather and EWF again, both loud and both sputtering. Did Fluance send me some returned speakers (might this explain why there was no literature with the speakers?) Should I return one or both? For return or exchange? Hmm. To complicate matters even further, the sound is growing on me (so long as it's not loud enough to make the tweeter sputter). OTOH, I have the treble turned up. Advice welcome, even if it regards dosages :-)

Bronze Member

Capital City

Post Number: 26
Oh...and OMG... sorry for how long that was!

Silver Member
Username: Exerciseguy

Brooklyn, NY USA

Post Number: 622
Send them back. Sounds like a blown tweeter to me.

I have purchased many Factory Refurbs./B-Stock items and have NEVER received an item that was NOT in perfect/good as new condition. I would be shocked if Fluance, a seemingly reputable company, was the exception and is sending out broken merchandise with no literature.

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 3623
I concur...send 'em back, sounds like a blown design...better luck with the next ones (hopefully something other than Fluance).

Bronze Member

Capital City

Post Number: 27
Well thanks guys, I'm going to call them on the phone tomorrow and ask their advice. I'm so lazy I'd probably accept an exchange of just one tweeter module, presuming that switching one out is a DIY thing... But I'll bet they want the whole thing back, to maintain "quality control"--it's my time & money, not theirs (the return I mean).

Just for kicks, I'll attach a photo of the blown tweeter... unlike the one on the Koss, it looks fine (that's just a reflection in the photo). Also unlike the one on the Koss (2nd photo!), it sounds crappy. Go figure, huh!
Upload
Upload

Bronze Member

Capital City

Post Number: 28
Now THAT ^^^ is what I'd call a blown tweeter!
Or, more accurately, smashed. That's the Koss.

BTW, a motivation for considering an xch of just the tweeter module is that I could keep these here in my Den for the duration. I'm pretty easy to please, which means I probably shouldn't bother reviewing too many speakers :-)

Silver Member
Username: Exerciseguy

Brooklyn, NY USA

Post Number: 624
You might want to consider less expensive speakers like SDAT, Theater Research, or Radiient as a more economical choice to satisfy your habit.

I imagine the experience can't be any worse than with Fluance.

Gold Member
Username: T_bomb25

Dayton, Ohio United States

Post Number: 1445
Man send those back and get your money back,it seems that even if the tweeter wasnt screwed up you still would'nt be unhappy with them.I feel for you,but im not gonna sugarcoat it for you,send them back and get your money back,and look into the true internet reptuable brands,such as:-Onix,Ascend,Axiom,SVS,Odyssey,Cambridge,even Bic America,maybe audioadvisor,their are plenty of other sources to get good speakers from,you should be fine once you get your money back,and were here and we will help you out with your availible options in your pricerange.

Bronze Member

Capital City

Post Number: 34
Update: Fluance sent me a new tweeter module right away and I'll be switching it in tonight. Meanwhile I've been listening at lower levels all week and (particularly with the extra two I'm using for 'fill') the sound really has grown on me. OTOH the receiver's treble setting is still set way high...........
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us