Fluances have arrived...

Bronze Member
Username: Marsden

Capital City

Post Number: 18
Okay, my Fluance ES-1 tower speakers arrived today. Haven't started listening to them yet. I'm glad they didn't cost too much (about $465 incl s/h) because they don't seem very expensive in person. Particularly disappointed in the tops (which are very plasticky-cheap, and one is scuffed right out of the box) and the grilles (which seem extremely flimsy). Most unfortunately for me, they're taller than advertised. Some of you may recall that height was my #1 criterion, since I'm trying to integrate these towers in an assemblage of a/v equipment.

Turns out the 51.5" height advertised (which was already the upper limit of my desired range) did not include the isolation feet, which I'd really like to use since they'll be sitting directly on an oak floor. So they're really more like 52" to 52.25" high or so, depending on how far you screw in the feet. I think the feet are essential for leveling as well as acoustic isolation. So I'm back to the drawing board, and will have to figure a way of elevating the other components in my a/v setup.

More irritating than that even is that neither ES-1 box contained an owner's guide or instruction sheet of any kind. All there was is a warranty slip, reminding me to save my Bill of Sale (also not included) for any warranty claims. Ugh.

SO... I'm attaching a photo of the wiring terminals, since I really don't know what I'm doing here (one is shown unscrewed for clarity). I know they must have to do with "bi-wiring" and "banana plugs" or something like that, but both of those are foreign to me; I have an amp and some speaker wires. Advice please??

I wonder where I can find banana plugs on a Friday night :-(

Upload

Silver Member
Username: Exerciseguy

Brooklyn, NY USA

Post Number: 609
If your disappointed with the looks of them, re-box them & send them back. Much better than living with mistake.

Banana plugs can be had at any Radio Shack.

The speakers should come with directions as to how to wire them up, otherwise do a google search.

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 3613
Mike, if they don't fit your need why hesitate. Send 'em back and look at something else. I'm sorry about the bad experience. I didn't follow the original thread...what was the criteria that you were looking for? It seems that there are some great deals on Missions and Aperions and all kinds of of other speakers. No sense keeping what you don't want.....what the heck maybe the sound will win you over, good luck.

Bronze Member

Capital City

Post Number: 19
Ah, no worries guys, the cost isn't meaningful to me esp compared with the hassle of returning them. I just read the entirety of https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-audio/207532.html and would rather not bi-wire if I can avoid it. So which terminals should I use, as there are two of each and they're connected by cables (as in the photo)? Does it even matter so long as I've properly segregated pos & neg? And SORRY in advance if this question starts any trouble. I just want to hear what these speakers sound like before I go to sleep tonight. Right now I'm going out in search of banana plugs.. Thanks

PS: My original remarks are in the "Cerwin vs. Polk" thread in this forum. But really, no worries as whatever happens it's not a big deal to me. I'm just hoping they sound good!

Bronze Member

Capital City

Post Number: 20
I should add that I own about 12 sets of stereo loudspeakers :-)

Silver Member

Brooklyn, NY USA

Post Number: 611
You don't need bananas, just unscrew one pair of terminals, insert one speaker wire into the Red, one into the black, keep the jumper cables to the other set of terminals in place, and your done.

Just curious, 12 pairs of speakers and you haven't encountered bi-wireablity before?

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 4448
12?

Silver Member

Brooklyn, NY USA

Post Number: 613
...And I thought I was a speaker junkie!

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 4450
I caught you knockin' at my celler door
I love the speakers can I have sommore
Gone gone, the damage done...

Bronze Member

Capital City

Post Number: 21
It's true! 12 sets and these are the first bi-wires. Thanks Christopher, I kinda had a feeling about what you were saying (wiring w/o bananas) but anyway I have a CC and BB nearby so it was no trouble picking up some Monster Cable Quick Lock connectors. Silly stuff IMHO. I don't think ANY of it is necessary, including bi-wiring. But I'll shut up now, and hook them up, and let you know how they sound! :-)

Silver Member

Brooklyn, NY USA

Post Number: 614
How'bout a list of all those speakers?

Bronze Member

Capital City

Post Number: 22
Er... in an hour or two. Friend just phoned from the train station. Didn't want any of you speaker junkies to be overcome by suspense :-)

Bronze Member

Capital City

Post Number: 23
Hey CM... I can tell you what brands they are off the top of my head, but the model #s will have to wait.. JBL (old) KLH (old) Mission (relatively new) Fluance (brand new) Polk (relatively new, 2 pr) Altec Lansing (rel. new) and a couple off-brand ... nothing very prestigious... hmm that's not 12 is it :-)

Bronze Member

Capital City

Post Number: 24
And how could I forget, my Koss Bookshelf speakers with the crushed tweeter(s). I put my ear next to the really smashed one and was impressed with how good it sounded. They are what just got replaced by the new towers. They were only in use because the only other ones I've found while unpacking so far are the KLH's and you really don't want to hear about them. Or, even worse, hear them. Hey I said I had a lot of speakers I didn't say I had a lot of good speakers ;)

Now, these Fluances? What can I say about their sound...well, they're almost the right height :-) Just kidding, they sound good. Actually, I don't know just how long they'll take to 'break in' but they sound considerably better than they did just three hours ago. So I'll wait until some time has passed before submitting a serious review, complete with attempts at using arcane speaker jargon which should produce considerable mirth if nothing else.

I will say that they don't sound very good when you're laying on the floor in front of them. All muddy, mostly sound coming from those passive radiators at the bottom or the stack I think, plus my amp needed adjusting.

Now they're on at a more moderate level, since my friend is asleep on the couch, and she really needs her beauty rest, as the photo I generously contributed to the "Best Sounding Speakers Ever MADE" thread will attest. She hates it when I photograph her in the morning, before she's "put on her face" ... but I digress. More later...
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us