Wharfedale Diamond 8.4 Blems for $100/pair

Silver Member
Username: Exerciseguy

Brooklyn, NY USA

Post Number: 582
Found a guy on craigslist selling a pair of Wharfedale Diamond 8.4s for $100/pair. There are some blemishes (a corner on the bottom rear of speaker is crushed a bit & a couple of nicks along the veneer here & there). I've heard the 8.4s have little trouble with their high-end management, any thoughts? I really don't need another pair of speakers, but at this price, it's a deal I can't refuse.

My wife IS going to kill me.

Gold Member
Username: T_bomb25

Dayton, Ohio United States

Post Number: 1406
Get them!!

Bronze Member
Username: Serniter

Piscataway, New Jersey USA

Post Number: 76
Always the case with deals... get em when you dont need em. I'd get them anyway. Can help someone get started on a (real good) budget system with those.

Silver Member

Brooklyn, NY USA

Post Number: 583
Srinivas,

You have the 8.3s, right? How do you like them? Are they power hungry?

Silver Member

Brooklyn, NY USA

Post Number: 584
This is the worst of the damage:

Upload
Upload

But this is what they look like from a distance with the grills on, not too bad.

Upload

How hard to re-veneer these babies? Maybe just build some new cabinets?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1411
And easy fix,with the veneer,and they sound great with a good source and amp.Chris I owned the 8.3s,8.4s,Evo 20s,and the Evo 40s,yeah they all are very very good,sure the 40s have the best resolution by far,the 8.4s are a very good speaker,but I must admit I love 8.3s for their imaging and sounstaging with some very tight bass,but they all benifit with some good power behind them,I wish i had the electronics that I have now back when i owned all of these,I may try and find me a pair of 8.3s though.

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 4402
Buy.
The lower corner looms like maybe a bit of water damage as well. If they buzz use some plastic filler to re-square the corner.
Did I mention buy?
What is list on those?

Silver Member

Brooklyn, NY USA

Post Number: 586
$275 each @ Amazon

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 4405
nice deal for blem's if all else is well.

Bronze Member
Username: Serniter

Piscataway, New Jersey USA

Post Number: 77
Yes, I have 8.3s and like them a LOT. I do not have much experience with hi fi though... Tried them with a Sony receiver and an early model NAD receiver. I would say they are power hungry because they shine at higher volumes, when the Sony gives up. The NAD powers them with no effort, and to my ears, offers more separation. If the drivers are intact, the 8.4s are worth much more than $100.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1423
Yep easilly!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us