Quadraflex model 55 3 way speakers? Any info/history

Bronze Member
Username: Aid4hearing

Redlands, CA

Post Number: 16
Was wondering how much these would be worth in good condition. Just aquired some for free and can not seem to find any substantial info. in regards to the Quadraflex brand and especially for this particular model 55 speaker. pwr handling capacity is 25watts (RMS) and recommended amplifier rating is 80watts (RMS)
Those specs. were off the sticker still on the back of the speaker cabinet. wich for some unknown reason is all sticky and oily to the touch. not the first time i've encountered that on a old speaker cabinet. Anybody know what causes that? is it like an over application of pledge wood /furniture polish cleaner or something? N-E ways. Info on Quadraflex model 55 is primary. thanks.

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 9250

Quadraflex was the main house brand speaker for Pacific Stereo, a chain store that existed throughout the Western half of the US in the 1970's and early 1980's. At the time Pacific was owned by CBS and Quadraflex was owned by CBS. It was illegal, but CBS made speakers for and sold speakers to themself. The markup was quiet significant a salesman's spiffs on the speakers were usually distributed in the manner of some form of drugs. (This was the 1970's, things are much different now.) Nothing in the Quadraflex line was really worth much and they should be forgotten when they finally die.

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 4368
Jan, you crack me up.

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 9254

We didn't have "crack" back then, Nuck.

Gold Member

Post Number: 4385
Thank goodness the commissions were payed in pot.

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 9256

Coke.

Gold Member

Post Number: 4387
how distasteful.

Bronze Member

Redlands, CA

Post Number: 18
OooKay then..... I had read some other info from this forum from 2002 or 2004 and CBS was also mentioned along with how it was their "Go to speaker". Another person's comment stated he/she had seen a pair of Quadraflex speakers of a certain model(wich i forget what the hell they were..) , were valued at or around 3 to 5 thousand dollars!! So I can only assume, those comments left on that old thread, were left by those same co-co puffs that were dealing with the speakers with CBS in the business manner you spoke about above. They were high and high marking up the price for basic speakers not worth the material that they were even made with. Does that about sum it up? Hell, if the history story you tell is true, how do you know of it? Were you smacked up back then or are you just smack talking? Couldn't quite tell if You and Nuck were just dicking around...With a story like that, since i didn't pay a red cent for em'. they're already worth having just for the speakers shady history. Can anyone else out there back this CBS story up? Or is the CBS story just a story minus the C?

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 9258

I worked at Pacific Stereo in Hazelwood, Mo. for a few years. I had sinus problems back then from living too close to the steel factories in Granite City, Ill. and the oil refineries in Woodriver, Ill. The only time I tried a spiff, I nearly choked to death.

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 9259

Once a product line has disappeared from the market, or even while one still exists in some cases, the name can be used by anyone as long as they aren't sued by someone who coined the name earlier. Quadraflex is a catchy name and there has probably been more than one company producing a speaker under that name. You might own a $10k sleeper.

Nahhhh!

Gold Member

Post Number: 4391
It's like the antique speaker roadshow, you never know.
And Ed McMahon is knocking on the door.
It is all so surreal, I think I will have a beer.

Hey remember the Saturday Night Live where Belushi is being interviewed at Studio 54? He has all the powder under his nose for the whole bit, then has another powdered jelly donut at the end.

Bronze Member

Redlands, CA

Post Number: 19
...Alright. Guess i will be putting these Susuki Samari speakers that look like Jeep Grand Cherokee speakers, out in my Saturday morning Live yard sale and make 100% profit on them, oooo! AND TO DRAW A BIG CROWD, I'LL ALSO OFFER FREE JELLYnuck FILLED DONUTS! Thanks Jan for being direct with the info. Very interesting but bitter sweet to have learned about the Quadraflex name. And Nuck...well, you CRACK ME UP! I think i understood your analogy with the whole SNL Belushi bit. Things aren't always what they appear to be, right?! I'm f#@king over it! Quadraflex is junk and don't forget to take a drive on a empty highway road winding along side a cliff after that beer.Just remember, friends don't let friends drive drunk and its a good thing i don't know ya. See there Nucky. Doesn't sit right when somebody reponds like that now does it? All condescending and sarcastic. Might as well just respond like i did if you're gonna do that. cause beating around the bush might be your style. But i prefer to beat right up in it.Thanks again there Jan. And Nuck, no hard feelings:-) Just trying to give you a taste of your own medicine.

Gold Member

Post Number: 4413
Medicine taken.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us