Cerwin vs. Polk

Username: Marsden

Capital City

Post Number: 1
Okay, hope this isn't too stupid or annoying. I have the feeling that Polk Audio speakers are generally more appropriate for audiophiles than Cerwin Vega?

Here's my situation. I need floor-standing speakers around 50-51" high (Don't ask ;)

The only ones I can find are Cerwin Vega CLS-215 and Polk Audio RTi12 towers.

I like the way the Polk look much more than the CVs, but the Polks are $1400 a pair, exactly twice what the CVs cost. I can't ignore that.

BUT... I listen mostly to classical and jazz. Clarity is paramount to me, much more important than impact. I get the feeling reading about CVs that they're much better for rock/disco/hiphop etc. THAT might matter.

Advice please? TIA..

Capital City

Post Number: 2
Hmm... also.... thanks to a link on this site, have also found the Fluance ES-1 speakers which are attractively priced and only slightly too tall ;)

(I could raise everything else a fraction of an inch I guess ;) ...anyone know about these? TIA.

Gold Member
Username: Kano

BC Canada

Post Number: 1101
Yes the Polks are worth twice as much as they are twice as good for what you're looking to listen to. The Vegas are indeed rock and roll boomy bass play loud with any amp speakers - no fidelity or soundstage for classical.

$1400 is a bit pricey, I own a Polk system and in hindsight find the speakers expensive compared to similar models. The Rti12s also require lots of available power to sound their best - 300W a channel would not be overkill IMO.

You said not to ask, but I must - why must you have floorstanders 50-51" high? Could you not achieve the same height with speaker stands and bookshelfs. It would be cheaper and easier to achieve your desired results. While I like the tower stand, I had to spend an extra few hundred on a 200Wx2 power amp to power my Rti8s - for most applications bookshelfs would have sufficed.

What receiver/amp(s) do you have or are looking at?

Capital City

Post Number: 3
Thanks Kano, as you doubtless guessed I'm attempting to align the floorstanding speakers with a DLP, which is almost odd since I virtually never watch TV. Still, they have to look right together. I have now looked at Klipsch RF-83 speakers which are 49" high, figuring I could raise them slightly. They're nearly $2500!

And I recognize the possibility that the DLP might itself be replaced one day, but since I don't watch it it's unlikely to break ;)

I have several amps/receivers and if I'm spending $1500 for a pair of speakers, I won't mind spending money for a new amp either. Haven't looked yet though.

Although I don't watch TV, I listen to music almost all day and half the night. And it's about 50% Classical, 40% Jazz, and 10% Rock. So precision, imaging, clarity, timbre, etc.. these words speak to me. Thanks again.

Capital City

Post Number: 5
And wow... you've got to hand it to Infinity for addressing the situation so comprehensively
http://www.infinitysystems.com/homeaudio/product_detail.aspx?cat=ACC&series=TSS& prod=TSS-SAT4000PLT&Status=

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 4357
Maggie MMG-W wall hanging panels.
http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/magnepan/mmgw.html

Capital City

Post Number: 7
Thanks Nuck--that's actually a pretty fascinating review. I tend to wonder about the profit margins in some of those $600 - $1000 speakers, and now I wonder even more......

For a cheap speaker that doesn't take up any space, I can't see how you could beat these.

Gold Member

Post Number: 4362
Considering your heightened alignment considerations(that sounds better than tall speakers, I figgur), Mike, and your stated listening preferences, this may be an elegant and equitable solution.
A few members here and elsewhere have never looked back after the first panel set-up.
Spent more on other panels of course, but not another box.

However these beasties require a heapin' helpin' of amplifier to operate near peak efficiency. I, for one, always suggest superior amplification, for any occasion, and have seen some good deals on audiogon and other sites. Some older Mac's are popping up, and THAT combination would be quite fine.

Hope things are 'looking up'.

Gold Member
Username: Petergalbraith

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 1948
I have now looked at Klipsch RF-83 speakers which are 49" high, figuring I could raise them slightly. They're nearly $2500!

On the high side, I think, but they are also the top of the Reference line for Klipsch. The RF-63 or the RVX-54 is about the same height.

Gold Member
Username: Petergalbraith

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 1949
$300 for Maggies? Who would have thought?

Gold Member

Post Number: 4369
Yup, I wonder where and how much in Canada, Peter. Maybe check it out in QC? I'm gonna surf around today and find out. For Mike's usage, they might just do it(except the 10% rock, these are not recommended for RnR.

But if the price is right, they could offer a nice option for reflective moments.

Gold Member

Post Number: 4372
Of course, the MMG-W covers down to 100Hz.
The article used a Polk sub, no pass filters on the stats, doesnt mention the sub pass.
I would think there could be a big ol' hole 75-110.
Maybe a slower sub would be better here, with a full octave roll-off to marry up with the mags?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us