$500 budget for receiver and speakers

Username: Blacklakelight

Post Number: 1
Hello, first post, and I know you get so many of these budget questions, so thanks for your patience. I need a receiver and a pair of speakers, and my budget is $500. This stereo will be used in a relatively small room, apx. 17.5'x 14' It will be used for 95% music, all styles but rarely classical.

I'm fine with 2-channel stereo--one of the reasons for this post is I haven't bought new equipment in forever, and all this multi-channel stuff baffles me. Favorite system I ever had was an old Marzantz solid state and klipsch kg4's; ideal would be an old Mcintosh and khorns. Not that I expect such performance, but just so you know where I'm coming from.

I'm considering a HK3480 and Wharfdale diamond 8.2's which I found on sale. Any thoughts or suggestions would be much appreciated.

Platinum Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 11358
You already have a nice system in mind. I say run with it.

Post Number: 2
Thanks man, that's what I'm thinking, the best I can get for the money. I think it's going to be pretty cool, actually. I have a project system, an old Dyna tube amp and kg4's, but that's going to have to wait until I'm out of grad school and have the time and $$$.

Silver Member
Username: Exerciseguy

Brooklyn, NY USA

Post Number: 567
Brett, just wondering if you picked-up that HK/Wharfedale system and what your thoughts are. It should be killer. On a tight budget, I don't you could do much better.

Silver Member

Brooklyn, NY USA

Post Number: 568
oops, I just saw you posted yesterday. Chime in when you get the system & take it for a spin.

Gold Member
Username: Petergalbraith

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 1946
I'd say save up for a pair of 30 year-old KHorns and refresh the caps on them when you get them. Figure around $2000 to $2200 for the KHorns and $100 for capacitors. I don't find that they need very fancy amplification, and image a they soundstage like crazy, completely disappearing on your 17.5 long wall. The only downside is that you will sit less than 8 feet from your front wall.

They work well for HT too, using at minimum Heresy on the other positions (but maybe your current KG would work out too).

Post Number: 3
Thanks people, it'll be a couple of months before I actually have it but I need to go ahead and decide. It's a wedding-related system, so Peter, while I like your idea more than you could believe, it won't work in this situation.

I think I'm going with the Wharfdale Diamond 8.3's, though, which I hadn't seen when I first posted. Looks like the same speaker but floor standing, probably better bass response? I may run it by over in speakers to see what people think.

Silver Member

Brooklyn, NY USA

Post Number: 573
Brett,

Buy those 8.3s now they are on closeout @ amazon for $199 + s/h. They will soon be all gone.

P.S. You can save $30 if you apply for an amazon credit card.

Silver Member

Brooklyn, NY USA

Post Number: 574
Another good choice, the Mission M731 for $229 http://www.tsto.com/cgi-bin/TSTO.storefront/453a4eec013f59642740ac10034105f7/Pro duct/View/2393

Silver Member

Brooklyn, NY USA

Post Number: 575
M73i I mean
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us