How many mistakes can I make?!.........

Username: Bullethead

Tampa

Post Number: 1
First of all, I must say GREAT forum. I found it a couple weeks ago and it's been an interesting read. It's been about 5 years since I have thought about my setup, believe it or not, my wife got me on this slippery slope. She found a "great deal" on a hand made EC, my only request was she measure the TV for fit. She did, but it didn't. So now I am a proud owner of a Samsung 40" LCD pro panel.

First step on the slippery slope. My Denon AVR can't switch Hi def video signal (deal with that later). Next, time to remodel florida room, where all this crap sits, move around the speakers, and it all sounds like shite. So to the point, I need to treat the room and get new fronts (and AVR eventually). Here's what I am dealing with:

room 21x13x7.5 wood floor, florida room
block walls w/dry wall, flat ceiling
4 windows on one long side
8 ft opening on other long side
2 windows on rear wall
french doors off set on the front wall
EC adjacent to doors, EC almost in corner

current equip:
Denon AVR 3600
Denon CD DCM 420
Sony DVP NS500V
fronts NHT bookshelf (model 1a?)
rears Bose (to be retired)
center NHT VS-2e
NHT SA-2 w/SWS1 sub

60/40 HT to music
goal is to clean up the sound and eventually switch Hi Def.

Mistakes
1. no room treatments, I have a rough plan
rug on floor
fiberglass corner traps
Wiff is allowing 2 ceiling traps
maybe somthing on the sides in front of rears
the center will go inside of the arched EC (armoir like thing, will be suspended above Samsung panel) a pic would be nice wouldn't it.

2. I mounted the fronts on the wall, crammed in top corners. The NHT's have an angled face, down, maybe 15 degrees, thought I was OK...

Need to get new fronts and move NHT's to rear
dumping Bose
wife is OK with floor standing
I can get them out from the front corner about 5 feet, but maybe not away from walls
one will be in front of an upright piano

3. Sub is a mess
sits beside EC next to wall in corner
faces the peeps
what to do with position, trial and error is the plan

I am looking at the Ascend CMT-340s on the pedestals. So many options from this forum, what else would be a good choice? It's OK to spend less

The Denon AVR will eventually be replaced, not sure by what. Will it match OK for now?

Other considerations for speaker positioning and room treatments? I haven't really paid attention to this in the past... ughhh

Thanks in advance for those that can help.

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 9225

Clean up the sound - how? If we don't know what you want to achieve, we can't guide you toward that end. Once you tell me you are restricted in speaker placement options, then I begin to suggest you are limited in how much you can clean up the sound. Placement is the first key to good sound in any room. Sub placement is described in several articles on the internet. You can find several threads on subwoofer placement in the "subwoofers" section of the "Home Audio" portion of the forum. Or, you can put "subwoofer placement" into a search engine to begin getting some ideas on how to resolve your low frequency problems. After that getting the room to cooperate is going to be highly beneficial with the room you describe.

I assume you haven't read the archived threads in the forum. You might want to begin with this thread; https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-audio/263652.html and then read some of the suggested articles in the "Accessories" section of the forum.

Personally, I wouldn't bother trying to switch high def or low def TV through a receiver. Make the connection directly from your satellite receiver to the TV/monitor. Use the macro commands on your remote to take care of getting the sequence of switches done correctly.

Username: Bullethead

Tampa

Post Number: 2
Thanks Jan.

I read, re-read, and read again the link you noted, prior to posting. I searched alot on treatments and found several DIY designs, to it will be some trial and error since I am new to it (other than putting a rug down).

After moving the fronts to being mounted on wall in corners (they were in the old EC prior), there is very little L/R separation. I am certain it's due to where I mounted them, hence the decision to go to a floor standing set.

The bass "ringing" seems worse then before. Prior to the change, it was stuck behind a sectional, which seemed better. I did a search as you suggested on sub placement, have a better feel for it now. I also saw an old post of yours that putting it on a stand can help, makes sense.

Any thoughts on tower speakers other than the Ascends mentioned?

Thanks again

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 9229

Sorry, I seldom do equipment recommendations. There are too many variables for me to feel any input can be of any real value. There are plenty of folks who give equipment recommendations, so, possibly one of those members will chime in. Otherwise, the best advice I have on which peakers you might like is to read a few of the archived threads. There's plenty of information in there regarding Ascends vs. other brands.

« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us