Im back at my spot!

Gold Member
Username: T_bomb25

Dayton, Ohio United States

Post Number: 1376
Hey,yo whats up guys,im glad to be back,1st off I wanna appologize to Tim,im not a unreliable person,and wasnt trying to take advantage of your kindness,i just had some problems at that time.Jan I have your cd,and I will send it back to you as soon as I can,but all probelems have been solved,and back to help people and have fun in our community again.To Art,Eddie,Stu,Frank,John A.,and to all the newbies whats up guys!

Silver Member
Username: Exerciseguy

Brooklyn, NY USA

Post Number: 536
Thought you were gone for good.

So what's cooking? You still swearing by those SDATs?

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 9216

Hello, TW.

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 4338
Hello again, TW.

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 3593
Welcome back TW.

Platinum Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 11337
What's up T-Bomb?!

Gold Member

Post Number: 1377
Thanks,guys good to be back,so fill me in on all thats been going on,system changes,life changes,bans,you know the whole nine.Oh yeah and who are the newbies thats helpful,and the idiots.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 3598
Check my pofile TW, you'll be the first to notice that my whole system has changed in the last week.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1378
Wow let me check your profile Art!

Gold Member

Post Number: 1379
Yep,I've been reading about all the R series for the past couple months,the whole line is very good,and its never been any Question about qaulity of the Rega electronics,good stuff congrats!

Gold Member

Post Number: 1380
Think,I might go up to Columbus,to go hear all the new Rega gear,I ve always loved their amps and cd players.

Gold Member

Post Number: 4346
Hey T, check out my profile, too! Moved uptown...

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 3600
Columbus...I had an Uncle who lived there. He didn't miss a Buckeye game in 50 yrs...amazing.

Gold Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 1694
Glad to hear things are well with you Tawaun.

Regards,
frank.

Gold Member
Username: John_a

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 4544
Same from me, Tawaun.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1381
Nice,setup Nuck,are the are the PSB silver series gona be upgraded next ? Thanks John and Frank.

Silver Member

Brooklyn, NY USA

Post Number: 544
T, Is your old profile still up to date? Audition anything new? What are you listening to?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1382
Chris,its interresting that you brought that up,there is one change right now,and in the next couple weeks it will be a few more.Considering that that im not at the same audio store anymore,im about to try to get my own shop off the ground things are about to get interresting,and Tims speakers will be on my short list,as will a few others.Everything im gonna be doing now is all experiamental,to see what brands im gonna carry,and the biggest thing will be that the average working man will be able to afford this gear.

Silver Member

Brooklyn, NY USA

Post Number: 546
How hard is it to become an authorized dealer, presuming you will want to be an authorized dealer.

For electronics, I would want to buddy-up to D&M Holdings product line: Denon, Marantz, McIntosh, Boston. I also like Music Halls products, including Epos. And you might be interested in knowing that Mission is currently in the market to set-up a new US distribution operation.

I don't know if any of this is helpful, but it can't hurt.

Gold Member

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 1700
Tawaun,

In that case you're probably talking Chinese manufacture. Cambridge Audio has good brand recognition and gets a lot of good press. That's the only entry level brand I would consider working with. CA is owned by Richer Sounds. they also own speaker brands such as JPW and Gale.

I must say I envy you. When I tried to setup a shop 18 months ago, it fell through because we couldn't guarantee survival. Then again, we wanted to setup a high end shop.

Regards and Good Luck!
Frank.

Silver Member

Brooklyn, NY USA

Post Number: 547
I was going to mention CA too, very nice products.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1387
Frank,here in the US we can sell retail out of our houses,you just have to make sure you have the room and,a great insurance policy.Its really not that hard Chris,but it helps to have already been in the buisness to.Also being that I've delt with many manufactures,it will be easier for me,since I have built a relationship with them.Frank I think going all high end isnt a very good idea,it all the depends on the area,you are located as far as cost of living and the intrest of certain product in your community and in the audio community,build up trust and a reputation,and then you can gradually start adding high end gear,who wants a 20k speaker or a amp sitting around collecting dust and making no profit when you can be profiting off of several 2k speakers or amps or ect.,just a few examples.Good luck with that Frank,follow your dream,you are one of the most knowlegable people in the audio field I know.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1390
So Nuck you have Classe,now I would check out the B&Ws they work very well together,try the 700 series,particularlly the 703.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1391
Yeah Cambridge is good budget gear,better than Nad in some ways and it would be on my list.My choices so far are Tims speakers,Wharfedale,Jolida,MF,Epos,Creek,Onkyo& Onkyo Integra,Bryston,Rega,Music Hall,Pioneer & Pioneer Elite,Kimber,Toshiba,DCM Time Window,Nad,Kenwood,Monster,AudioQuest,Usher,Cary,Emotive,Canton,Shanling,Morning star,Green Mountain,Infinity,HK,Phillips,Phase Tech,Audiotech,AE,Arcam.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1393
Franks,thats interresting,I dont think we can get Gale and JPW on this side of the pond,most people in the states dont know about those brands,but I've been reading the British Mags for well over 10 years.Heres a few other brands I,ve always been interrested in From the U.K:,Heybrook,Revolver,Ruark,AVI,Pure,Talk,Saxon,T+A,Eltax,Tube Technology,Arcaydis,Richard Allan,Diapason,B&O Beolab,ART,,and Qed cables, and Partington stands,Cyrus,I think Cyrus is here know.

Silver Member

Brooklyn, NY USA

Post Number: 558
Wow! That's a huge line-up T.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1394
Oh it will be narrowed down Chris,I wont be able to afford that many.

Bronze Member
Username: Nmytree

Post Number: 70
Hi Tawaun! Good to see you back!

While I'm basically a newbie here, I used to read your posts a lot.

P.S. Let me know if you'll be carrying Wharfedale and Rega :-)

You already have yourself a customer.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1395
Thanks,NMyTree,thanks for the support man.

Gold Member
Username: John_a

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 4547
Just a comment on Gale. It is a just badge these days, put on audiopartnership speakers (retail "Richer Sounds" in UK, as Frank says) to entice people, like me, who remember when it was a respected manufacturer. I think the speakers are the same as what are badged also as Mordaunt-Short.
www.gale.co.uk
www.mordauntshort.com
www.audiopartnership.com

Gold Member

Post Number: 1398
Oh ok,John,I got rid of my Mordaunts not to long ago.

Gold Member
Username: Dakulis

Spokane, Washington United States

Post Number: 1040
T-MAN!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well, I thought you'd died, bro. I have been absolutely buried, wandering all over Washington and haven't listened to a CD or anything in over 2 months, AAAAGGGGGGHHHHHHH

But, I couldn't resist checking in since you resurfaced. Nice to have ya back.

Ok, Nuck I knew about the new gear, congratz.

Art, I didn't know that you'd make the run from your new tubes to new gear so fast. You win the lottery or something. LOL

Now, my gear hasn't changed at all although I did decide to move into the new house (old house still not sold) and ordered some Ascend CMT 340SEs for fronts on the pre-wired 7.1 surround sound in the new family room/HT room.

That's about it for now. Nice to hear what everyone is doing and I'll check in more often as soon as things slow down. This whole work thing should be outlawed. LOL

Gold Member

Post Number: 4406
Dave, you are a work hound.
Good to see you again.
and Thanks.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 3609
Dave old friend good to hear from you. To be truthful I didn't know I'd run from the tube gear so fast myself...it ain't tube gear per se but the PL2...what can I say. In the end I went searching for a whole system solution. One with guaranteed synergy. The Rega gear much like Naim sounds beautiful together. Chord Company is both Rega and Naim's cable company of choice (after their own ofcourse). Rega shows their gear with Chord.

Dave, I hope all is well with you and yours...come back and see us again sometime....soon!

Gold Member

Post Number: 1416
Hey David whats up man! glad to here from you i was wondering when you was gonna show up!,hey we got a Ascend war going on another thread its about to get ugly over there,hell where is Eddie?Glad you are enjoying your new speakers and new system David,hey I'll tell you what if you wont stay gone to long i wont.

Gold Member
Username: Petergalbraith

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 1951
Nice to see you back TW!

Gold Member

Post Number: 1421
Hey whats going on Peter,any system changes?

Gold Member

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 1705
Tawaun,

I too am surprised at the breadth of the list you are considering. As you said, you need to start 'sensible' and build up from there.

I also see synergistic matchings here. The Rega/Creek/EPOS all work well together. I'm no fan of Rega's latest speakers but they get great press. The Arcam gear is effective, reliable and well built. It would work well with EPOS and Rega.

You need Chord Co cables to go with this stuff.

As for the dream, well...

Regards,
Frank.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1426
Yeah I almost forgot about the Chord Cables Frank,hey what can I say I love the Brit sound,as far as the Rega Speakers they have garnered lots of press,they are some of Arts new toys,so Art,I know you are gonna keep it real,what are they like and what made you give up on the Studio 40s? And Frank what is it that you dont like about the new Regas?

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 3610
Brief message before work....I traded back my ProAc Studio 110's for the Rega's because the Rega's are the best sounding match for the rest of my gear. Frank doesn't like ProAc either. Different strokes. I find the overall balance to be very natural and open and they produce better bass than one might expect from such a small footprint. I'm very impressed.

Silver Member
Username: My_rantz

Australia

Post Number: 904
I heard the Apollo with a valve amp through a pair of R5's Art. I was very impressed also. Congrats on the gear (again).

BTW, is true that someone's taking bets on this forum for when your next upgrade occurs?

Kidding of course. You're not the only one to come down with the bug.

Gold Member
Username: Stu_pitt

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 1484
Good to see you back Tawaun. I don't have as much time to post as I used to due to my new job. Speaking of which, my new job plays in the A-10. I'll be in Dayton in early February. Any chance the store will be open?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1428
Hey whats up Stu!,I dont know,but I hope so,but we will see,let me know when you get to Dayton so we can meet and have some listening sessions.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1429
Art,im big fan Rega electronics,but its been some time since I heard some of their speakers,but I have been hearing a bunch of good things about R series,and you already know im a big ProAc fan.Frank may something about them we dont know.

Gold Member

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 1954
Hey whats going on Peter,any system changes?

Nothing major like some of the guys here. I'm affraid that my Klipschorns are here to stay! ;-)

I recently bought a used DVD/SACD player, a Philips 963 SA. It's also a 192 KHz upsampling CD player, and to my surprise sounds better than the Rotel RCD-02 I have for that purpose.

Good luck with the store!

Gold Member

Post Number: 1431
Yeah the SACD players redbook ability have increased by leaps and bounds.So what are you gonna do with the RCD-02 now?

Gold Member

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 1710
Art,

At least both you and I are consistent! :-)

Tawaun, I'd rather not assassinate a speaker's performance and just say they're not for me. I remain bemused at the press they've been getting, since I just don't understand the attraction, but each must make their own mind up by listening to them.

Regards,
Frank.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1041
Gentlemen, and I use that term loosely,

It's great to hear from you. I think a small wager on Art's next upgrade is in order. I don't think his gear lasted longer than my Denon receiver, LOL.

T-Man, it's great to have ya back, we missed your knowledge and energy. I'm afraid I've been missing in action and I'll try to check in, at least, weekly while I'm running faster than my legs can carry me.

Nuck, Art, Stu, Frank and Peter, I miss not hearing from ya and talking about what's up in life. I've changed my mind, you are gentlemen all.

I'll do better about staying in touch. Now, where's the Ascend war, let me at 'em. LOL

Gold Member

Post Number: 1436
Thanks David,I missed all you guys to: it feels good to be back with my other family over here at ecoustics.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1437
Damn,where is Eddie at you guys!For all of Pauls (CV),I kind of miss his honesty,And where is Andy?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1438
Hey,Frank at least me and you agree on Naim,and Totem,its been about 5 years since I heard Rega speakers,and when I did it was on a Rega setup,it was ok it was very synergistic,but it was a little dry and light in the midbass with a rolled off topend,I guess you can say it was a very safe restrained sound,it wasnt very excititng,but it did do a lot of things fundamententally correct,the Rega electronics timing and rhythum sure shined thru it was a very listenable sound with no listening fatigue,but this is a different speaker than it was 5 years ago,I would like to hear them though.

Gold Member

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 1711
Tawaun,

Yes, a lot of that remains true I think, but the new R-series has moved on. I just don't like them, particularly the bigger ones. Unusual for me to be coy I know, but I think I'm reticient because they've had so much good press...

Dak, nice to see you again. As it happens I'm being quite sporadic in my posting as I am very busy at work and have other commitments on the 'net too.

Regards,
Frank.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 3611
"At least both you and I are consistent!"

Very true Frank. You've been alot of help to me Frank and I thank you much. We have a little different taste in speakers and that's ok...that's why they make so many...lol. Thanks again for your help. BTW I wound up getting the Rumour 4 speaker cable and the Chorus interconnects for the Mira3/Apollo connection and 2 Chrysalis for the other sources, I'll upgrade those later but for now it's working wonderfully. Both my P3 and Elys 2 came damaged...so I've only listened a bit (when I can get them to work right, replacements are on the way...kudos to The Sound Organisation in Dallas). Just the bit I've listened to them they flat blow away my ProJect/Speed Box/Grado combination. My wife and I were pleasantly surprised.

Dave, we miss ya buddy. Wassup TW, Nuck, Peter and Stu. Let me tell ya fella's there's something to this synergy thing...GO REGA. Out!

Gold Member

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 1955
Great to hear from everyone on a conversation, rather than a discussion about a poster's question.

So what are you gonna do with the RCD-02 now?

I don't know. If a friend ever mentions he needs a CD player, I might offer it up for a cheap sale to help out. But I'm unlikely to list it for sale for what it's worth. It might get used elsewhere in the house. First I'm overdue for more listenning just to make real sure!

I need to buy a few SACD titles now than I have a player, but that instinct hasn't kicked in yet. I even ordered a few redbook CDs online last night without even thinking about SACDs!

Do you guys think that the audio formats that come with Blue-Ray and HD DVD will eventually be marketed to audiophile music? I guess that would really make SACD/DVDA obsolete. Now that I have a player, the format is doomed! It's all my fault.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1441
You are indeed right about synergy Art,it counts in spades!

Gold Member

Post Number: 1442
Peter,thats the word from many audio,and software people,one of my best friends is a computer software designer,and thats what he said,thats why I own a cheap Toshiba SACD/DVD player,Peter thats why my money goes into a superior CD player,redbook is here to stay,and plus im a traditionalist.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 3616
I think that the new Blu-ray/HD DVD formats will be marketed to audiophiles expecially in the form of performance DVD's. Let's face it most of us think that performance DVD's are a great idea, if only they sounded good. In the end no disc format is going to win. CD will be left standing even if you can only buy them online and the media server will win the day for the most used source in most folks homes. Check the cover of last months Stereophile. I've been saying that here at this forum for better than 1 1/2 years and I'm sticking to it.

Gold Member

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 1486
Art -
Sounds like a great system. I'd take a system with great synergy over a system of better components that don't work well together any day.

I feel like a broken record here...
I'm contemplating that same system vs the Naim 5i system. I'm assuming the Naim system will be a good deal better, but it also costs 50% more. Good thing a good local shops stocks both.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 3617
Depends on who you talk to Stu, relative to whether the Naim system would be a great deal better than the Rega. Alot of folks like the Apollo better than the low end (for Naim) Naim player. The Nait 5i is better than the Mira 3 but not by a mile. For my ears the best balanced speaker by either company is the Naim Ariva, fabulous speaker but out of my budget. I like my Rega speakers but I ain't foolin' myself about their place in the world.

Great budget system for anyone reading this.

Rega Brio integrated
Rega R3 speakers
Rega Apollo
Chord Chrysalis interconnect
Chord Carnival speaker cable

Excellent budget pieces that will equal or surpass anything at anywhere near it's price and the synergy is awesome. The speakers and amp are just a fraction over half what I paid on mine with upwards of 90% of the performance.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1444
Im with both Art and Stu on this one,nothing is more important than system synergy,you can put 3 10k productd together if they dont gel,they wont sound as good as synergistic budget system.Yeah Art that would be a killer budget setup,I havent heard the new Rega speakers,but from Regas track record,I know system synergy is at the top of their priorties.I think Rega and Epos/Creek do the synergy thing better than any other budget gearMusical Fidelity/Era do it good to but,Rega and Creek/Epos have built a leagacy on it.

Silver Member
Username: Mike3

Lewisville, Tx USA

Post Number: 202
I have had many forum discussions about listening and synergy to get to where my system is today. Went from a Creek 5850 SE Integrated Amp to a Carver M-4.0t (which I had refurbished), a Rogue Magnum 99 Tube Pre-Amp, Rega Apollo CD Player, Linn Sondek LP 12, and Anthony Gallo speakers. Then I went tweaking.

I completely changed my sound to something I really love. The Rega Apollo got me into changing out the rest of my entire system. Every piece I put in complemented it, except the Linn, which it turns out is what I built a perfect system for. The Rega's sound which I developed my system around was synergistically (if that is a word) right for the Linn. LPs on the Linn will get my foot tapping almost every time, where a CD of the same title doesn't do it that often for me.

Maybe the synergy I sense with my system is part to do with the comfort I have developed with listening to my system's "sound". The more I listen to music through my system the more I become trained on its sound to where it is what I expect to hear when I listen to a song. When I hear something that I have played on my system on something other than my gear it just doesn't cut it for me. I guess this is a long way of saying that maybe "synergy" has something to do with familiarity.

Perhaps I have developed a system that is closer to my Grandfather's record player console with tubes and a mono speaker combo including a 15" Jensen woofer that I listened to over 40 years ago.

Familiarity?

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 3619
There really is some validity to that point Michael. For me synergy will forever be tied to the many years that I owned the Rotel/Paradigm sound. For better than 10 years I always had Paradigm speakers and Rotel electronics. I became familiar with that sound and really enjoyed it. I remember going out to listen to megabuck systems and usually being disappointed because they didn't sound as good to my ears as my own system. I've been trying to get back to that point of satisfaction since I last owned a Rotel/Paradigm system and think that I have finally arrived. I wish I could say it has been fun but it hasn't. I love music and to be in a position where you are often listening critically to the system and not just listening to music is not where I want to be.

Gold Member

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 1489
You know Art, it's funny you should mention the Rotel/Paradigm combo. That's the one I heard my Xpression played on in the shop. The Rotel seperates/cd player/Xpression/Studio 100 combo blows the doors off of some systems that cost a good deal more. Each individual component of the system may not be the best value for the money or greatest piece their is (esp. the Studio 100), but combined they sound phenominal and the overall cost is quite good for what you get. It's really tough to find fault in that system. Replace the Studio 100 with the Studio 60, and you've got even better value, and don't lose much SQ.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1042
Guys,

It's great to hear what you've all been up to with equipment and changes. VERY INTERESTING indeed. I don't know about synergy. I just know that I doubt that you'll get me away from the tube sound, Art. It's so warm and coozy and the music just feels right. (Possibly because of that old Luxman tube amp in my past.)

But as always, I'm open to listening to other things and then if the bug strikes, AND if I ever get my house sold, I might try something else.

But for Eddie's information, the new Ascend 340SEs arrived and I'm sure that I'll have the new HT system set up in the next month or so. I'll report how the music and DVDs sound with 7.1 in a fairly rectangular not very well damped room. CYA and talk at ya later all.

Username: Rysa3

Post Number: 6
A little late but welcome back Tawaun.

Gold Member

Post Number: 4507
And you too, Marc.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1449
Thanks,Marc,and welcome back to you.