NAD, Rotel, Outlaw...???

Username: Stevenforrey

Post Number: 1
Hi all,

I've got the itch to replace my old Carver receiver and am looking for some of your collective wisdom.

I'm not really an audiophile (that is, I'm not really up on what's current in the field) but I am a musician (jazz, mainly) with fairly good ears -- I appreciate accurate, uncolored sound.

I've just replaced my old Allison Six speakers with even older (but mint!) Allison Ones, and I've been really pleased with the sound from these speakers plus my new Cambridge Audio Azur 640C cd player. To my ears this CD player was a revelation.

So - I'm thinking about a new amp/receiver. I'm a cheapskate and want the best sound for the buck. Also, Allisons are not very efficient speakers and need a bit of power. With all of that info, what say you?

I'm thinking about the new Outlaw receiver, the NAD 320BEE, a Cambridge Audio Azur amp, Rotel, etc, etc.

Are these all preferable to good vintage gear (like an old Marantz receiver)?

Any thoughts appreciated!

Best,
Steve

Gold Member
Username: Chitown

Post Number: 1304
I don't know the Cambridge Audio, but I don't think you will go wrong with any of the other three.

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 4336
Steven, the 320 is a good, solid unit. I would(as always) look a bit higher in the Nad line for reserves of power.
Not receivers, though.

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 3595
I believe that the Allison's would do fine with any of those amps and receivers. Like Nuck I would probably look at least one model up in the NAD line to the 352 but I do believe that the 325BEE would drive your speakers. The bit more grunt that you get with the 352 would give you better control of the low frequencies. The Rotel integrated and receiver both have a pretty good phono section if that is a consideration.

Username: Stevenforrey

Post Number: 2
Thanks for the advice -- much appreciated. I'll check out the 352 and a Rotel if I can find one to audition.

Bronze Member
Username: Underarock

Milwaukee, WI USA

Post Number: 41
While I'm no musician like Steve, nor an audiophile, for that matter, I did have a similar concern. I, too, was wondering who actually makes a really good STEREO receiver these days, especially in this era of the seemingly ubiquitous "home theater" stuff out there, which I have no interest in.

I myself have a late 70s/1980 era receiver, and just acquired a brand new set of Lineaum Towers. Right now, I have no need to replace the Sansui receiver, but was wondering what might be the best way to go in the future, especially as some of the great brands of the 70s have passed their prime (or died!).

And like Steve, budget is definitely a concern. So is the NAD 325BEE, a name I've seen bandied about on these forums, the best "bang for the buck", and does it offere that extra reserve of headroom that some larger amps/receivers don't always have?

Gold Member

Post Number: 4437
Rocky, Steve, check out the Outlaw 2150 STEREO unit (with phono)!. 100 or so solid watts, internet direct, 30 day trial.
Art sent another poster there a while back and delivery seems to have caught up to demand.

The unit has bass management as well,seems an all round solid performer. I have not demo'd it.

Bronze Member

Milwaukee, WI USA

Post Number: 42
Thanks for the tip, Nuck.

Checked it out. Outlaw says they may be shipping some out by mid-October, but the price is going up to $649, due to increased cost of the metal work, and I'm assuming, the cost of setting a new plant.

It's definitely one to keep in mind, and to start saving up for. Good thing I don't need one this minute! Sounds really good, though!

Gold Member

Post Number: 4439
Rock, mid Oct. has come and gone, Mid Nov, perhaps?
If the move is going to be made, I would wait till that Outlaw falls at my door.
Save the pennies, open the pink pig bank.
From what I have read, this is THE unit to have.

I have dealt with these guys at Outlaw while mapping out my new kit. Friendly, helpful, and available.
It was Scott who helped my there. Highly recommended.

Gold Member

Post Number: 4440
And a good owners forum as well.

Bronze Member

Milwaukee, WI USA

Post Number: 44
I'll need an industrial-strength piggy bank, Nuck, in order to hold 70,000 pennies! :-)

I also saw a Rotel RX-1050 pretty cheap (so far) on eBay. OVer and above the perils of buying stuff on eBay, is this receiver any good? Just curious, not serious at this point.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 3614
That Rotel is a fine receiver, I used to have it and was quite impressed...then again I'm a big Rotel fan.

Bronze Member

Milwaukee, WI USA

Post Number: 45
Looked at a few more things regarding the OUtlaw RR2150 early this morning. It sounds awful intriguing. I may have to get the hammer out for that piggy-bank! Oh, wait, I do't think I put any pennies in it yet...

I always struggle trying to do the "right" and "sensible" thing. Then, again, I'm not married, either!

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 3615
The Outlaw may very well be the most sensible purchase. Very nice package of features, great company to deal with, plenty of power, and a phono section just for kicks....pretty hard to beat.

Bronze Member

Milwaukee, WI USA

Post Number: 46
Well, Art, I agreed, and I went ahead and put my order in the hopper last night. When I'll get it, I don't know.

Apparently, the price is still $599 plus shipping, which was a pleasant surprise. I may know more this week.

I'll keep you guys posted, just in case anyone is interested.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 3620
Congrats UR! I'm anxious to hear your impressions when it arrives.

Gold Member

Post Number: 4460
Rocky, have you visited their hideout?
They have a good group, and most will call out problems or issues for all to see.

Hope it comes soon!

Bronze Member

Milwaukee, WI USA

Post Number: 49
Yeah, Nuck, I did check out the hideout, per your suggestion, and then ended up in the saloon (what else is new? :-) :-)). Did find out my order timed out, so I had to call it in this morning to a gal named Jennifer. But I'm in, for the $599 + shipping, which I'm happy about.

Gold Member

Post Number: 4462
Dandy!

Bronze Member
Username: Polksavage

Post Number: 87
did any one see the back of the outlaw 1070? these guys know how to lay out a reciever.

http://outlawaudio.com/images/1070-rear-huge.jpg

Gold Member

Post Number: 4466
And check the power consumption-1000w.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us