SX-750 Hum

Username: Ruggeri

Post Number: 1
Hi! First post!

I have a very old (1976) receiver: a Pioneer SX-750. It seems to be in fine shape, except for one thing. It has what sounds to be 120 cycle hum, even though _nothing is plugged in_. It's in both channels, and you can hear it from the headphone jack just listening to AM or FM radio (and also if you set it to the inputs, even with nothing plugged in). As mentioned, it sounds like 120 cycle noise, but it also doesn't increase with volume (or attenuate either). I don't get it from either of the cassette deck out plugs.

Any thoughts?! I'm desperate!

-- Ned Ruggeri

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 9207

After thirty years, the caps are starting to go bad. You can replace the caps, if you can find anyone willing to work on such an old unit. But, for the money spent repairing an older amplifier, you might want to look at replacement. If you are interested in repair, and cannot find anyone local to work on the unit, you can place "Vintage audio repair" in search engine. Such services are typically not cheap since you are asking the technician to get tied down to a unit where other problems might surface after the repair. A sometimes forum member called Kegger has been doing some vintage repair. You can find his profile here, https://www.ecoustics.com/cgi-bin/bbs/board-profile.pl?action=view_profile&prof ile=kegger-users. Send him a personal message to ask about repairs.

Bronze Member
Username: Jaw

Post Number: 52
Thanks for the info. You're welcome.

Oy.

Silver Member
Username: Gamerdude

Ontario Canada

Post Number: 226
What a weird back panel

Bronze Member
Username: Stevestar99

Dahlonega, GA

Post Number: 22
I use to be a tech at a factory authorized service center back in mid 70s and was thing about doing some vintage work on the side. The only problem I've run into is the shipping charges on the the equipment is petty hefty. It's over a $1.00 per pound each way. If $100 to $150 in shipping charges doesn't scare you off, plus $100 for the repair. PM me I might be able to help you.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us