Yamaha RXV-659

Bronze Member
Username: S_jones

B.C. Canada

Post Number: 25
Wondering if anyone owns the RCV-659, since it's fairly new on the market, and if so, how do you rate it? I listened to it in a local retailer but found it really difficult to evaluate the sound in such a setting (they don't have a dedicated listening room).

I found this review and it sounds like this guy was impressed:
http://www.audioholics.com/productreviews/avhardware/YamahaRX-V659p1.php

I'm seriously considering buying this instead of the HK AVR340 that I was previously considering. In order to get the 340 for a decent price, I have to buy on-line from the U.S., and don't much like the idea of that with the warranty and cross-border transport issues.

Bronze Member
Username: Jaw

Post Number: 47
http://reviews.cnet.com/Yamaha_RX_V659/4505-6466_7-31855319.html
This guy liked it, also.

This is not a Yamaha board. It is a Harman Kardon board. Hang around audioreview.com and they are the extreme to the opposite - a pro Yamaha board. The truth is probably somewhere in between.

Every board has their favorite flavors. To make sure, it's best to get a hold of both and listen in your own system.

Bronze Member

B.C. Canada

Post Number: 26
My current (15-year old) receiver is really on the fritz this week, so I'll likely be picking the Yammie up on the weekend. I'm anticipating that it will sound better with my system than it did in the store.

Thanks for the input.

Silver Member
Username: Bleustar

Pensacola, Florida

Post Number: 233
Just my two cents. I have listened to both receivers. The Yamaha has better clarity, especially at lower to mid volume, but lacks the power of the HK at higher volumes. The HK sounds good at moderate levels but becomes worse (unmusical) at higher listening levels. The room sized I sampled at was 12'x12' by 9' tall. I don't like the HK remote either which can be a deal breaker for some people.

Bronze Member

B.C. Canada

Post Number: 27
I purchased the Yamaha just over a week ago and am very happy with it. Many people seem to be of the opinion that the Yamaha sound is "bright", so I was a bit concerned that it would not match my Polk Audio RTi8s too well. No worries though...the Yamaha sounds great with my system. As you said, Bleustar, the clarity is impressive. I live in an apartment so the lack of power at higher volumes is not really an issue...though I certainly will test that when the neighbours are not home ;)

Bronze Member
Username: Jaw

Post Number: 55
Good choice and terrific value. I wish this stuff was around 20 years ago when I paid more for less on a surround receiver.

The sound quality, amps, Burr Brown DAC's and feature load are amazing for the money. You probably noticed you have pre outs to add a good used NAD, Adcom, Parasound etc. outboard amp for more power and probably better SQ when the time comes.

Also, it will be easy to sell if you upgrade. Enjoy.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us