1 or 2 receivers?

Username: Craigblue

Post Number: 9
Hi everyone, would you please explain me what's the story behind having two receivers together? someone suggested me take a rotel sonicaly wise for my fronts and another one for my HT?
Is there any benefit to have 2 units instead of having just one multipurpose music/HT receiver like denon 3806 or marantz 7500? I know it will be more expensive ofcourse but please explain what differenece in quality there will be.

Gold Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 1685
Leo,

It can be better to do this, only you probably wouldn't go with two receivers. One would be a dedicated integrated stereo amplifier and the other would be your HT receiver. Generally speaking home theatre receivers are not that good at making music. They are more typically optimised for home theatre. The sole purpose of a stereo amp is to amplify stereo music signals so it tends to fare better in that regard.

That said, it's also a question of budget (spending money on more things than you really need), integration (between the amplifiers), bias (which is the more important - HT or music?) and aesthetics. There are also exceptions to the rule. For example, Arcam make very musical receivers, much more so than the Denons. Now, the Arcam is arguably a bit too smooth for some to get on with it for Home Theatre. On the other hand, others (like me) really want their music first but with decent quality HT in the minimum number of boxes. So it's not a cut'n'dried equation.

regards,
Frank.

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 4314
Leo, as well, you are looking at multiple sources of power into single front speakers, which requires capable switching.
The interconnecting cables are a(in my opinion) consideration, as well as what source you will use.
Amplification on it's own should be purely a power(and power handling) issue, adding a second receiver will not likely do anything but offer an opportunity for sub-par cables to have their effect, and doubly amplify any source issues that existed before.
If a second receiver relieves the first from some distress, is the first one worthy at all anyhow?

Gold Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 1687
Never use multiple switching at the speaker end if at all possible. You should use the stereo amp as a slave to your HT receiver for surround sources. i.e. the stereo amp would simply act as a power amp in the context of the surround system. The front pre-outs of the HT receiver would be connected to an input on the stereo amp. The best is to have a dedicated input which isn't associated with the volume knob. Some people call this a Bypass or unity gain mode.

The stereo sources, such as dedicated CD player, record deck, tuner, would be connected directly to the stereo amp for the purest stereo signal.

Regards,
Frank.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us