Please help a newb choose speakers

Username: Black_octagon

United Kingdom

Post Number: 1
Hi guys this is my first post so please be patient.

After some basic research I have finally bought the folling items:

CD Player: Cambridge Azur 640C V2
Amp: NAD C320BEE
Headphones: Audio Technica ATH-AD900

One thing I'm only just starting to think about now is speakers. I really have no idea where to start. Can anyone suggest some ideal models that would suit this CD player and amp?

I'm interested in a fairly broad budget range, from US$150 to US$750.

Thanks guys

Silver Member
Username: Exerciseguy

Brooklyn, NY USA

Post Number: 518
This is an old list of bookshelf speakers under $500 I complied with some old prices.

1. Wharfedale Diamond 9.2/$499
2. Monitor Audio Silver S2/$499
3. Totem Dreamcatchers/$450
4. B&W DM601 S3/$450
5. PSB Image B25/$449
6. Monitor Audio Silver S2/$399
7. Alegria Audio Ling/$389
8. B&W DM600 S3/$350
9. Wharfedale Diamond 9.1/$349
10. PSB Image B15/$349
11. Monitor Audio Radius R90/$329
12. Alegria Audio Ling Single/$369
13. Ascend Acoustics CBM-170/$328
14. B&W DM303/$300
15. Epos ELS-3/$296

I would add:

Alegria Audio Emma
Paradigm Reference Studio 20
Epos M5
AV123 Onix X-LS

This should help you narrow it down a bit.

United Kingdom

Post Number: 2
Hey thanks a lot Christopher!

I'm going to pick up the CD Player and Amp from the same store in Wales next weekend, and they have most of those speakers in stock. What I'll do is have a listen to them with my music and see which ones I like the most.

One small question though. The Alegria Audio Emmas seem to have a lot of praise, especially around here. Do you think there's any sense in which the NAD C320BEE might be a little underpowered for these, or any of the others? It is, after all, still a budget amp.

Then again, I really am a news so I'm probably wrong.

Thanks again.

Silver Member

Brooklyn, NY USA

Post Number: 519
NADs are under rated & very efficient. I have a C740 receiver that has a very similar amp section. You should have no problem at all driving any of the speakers, even the 6-Ohm Wharfedales.

Are you limiting your choices to bookshelf speakers? What kind of music do you listen to? How large is your room?

United Kingdom

Post Number: 3
I am in a University residence, so am confined to a small rectangular bedroom. I think bookshelf speakers will be enough for now. I listen to a whole variety of music, though heavy metal and textured electronica do get a lot of attention.

Having said that, I've become much more concerned about sound quality than roaring volumes in recent years, which is why I'm only now starting to dedicate more of my budget to my source rather than the speakers.

Would I be right in assuming that this CD Player and Amp configuration could handle stronger speakers in the future, but that for as long as I'm in Uni accommodation the bookshelf speakers will be fine?

Unless there are any compelling reasons to get non-bookshelf speakers I'll probably just stick with these.

By the way, if I did get something like the Wharfedales, can you recommend any particular model of speaker stand? Most manufacturer's web sites have recommended putting their bookshelf speakers on stands and I have little idea what constitutes a 'quality' stand.

Thanks

Silver Member

Brooklyn, NY USA

Post Number: 522
Yes, your set-up is one that you will be able to grow into.

As for stands, I'm not sure what's available on your side of the pond. But in general you want a solid stand that's heavy, spiked, and puts the tweeter roughly at listening hight.

I'm not sure if they're still available in the UK, but I own & love a pair of Mission M32i that I picked up on sale at Amazon.com for $175(US) last year. They blend wonderfully with my NAD, I would look into them if I were you.

Gold Member
Username: Edster922

Abubala, Ababala The Occupation

Post Number: 4617
Oliver,

the NAD 320bee is no slouch but it ain't no powerhouse either---as much as I like the Wharfedales, I'd probably go with a smaller, higher efficiency 8 ohm bookshelf like the Ascend 170. It's got the most accurate mids and highs of any speaker under $500 I've ever heard, really superb SQ, very balanced.

If you decide that you want extra bass just add a $300 ($250 shipped b-stock) Hsu STF-1 and you'll be set.

Silver Member

Brooklyn, NY USA

Post Number: 525
Edster (as usual) makes some good points. The Ascend 170 has an excellent reputation. You may save a few bucks if you call Ascend and ask for a pair of B-stock speakers.

Gold Member
Username: Stu_pitt

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 1478
Keep in mind that Oliver is in the UK. Those prices may sky-rocket with shipping and taxes/duties.

I have no idea of the availability in the UK, but PSB mate great with NAD, in addition to the ones listed above.

Also, don't get too hung up on the power figures and speaker specs. While a higher rated NAD will put out more and better power, my 320BEE hasn't had any problems keeping up with lower impedence speakers.

Silver Member
Username: Gamerdude

Ontario Canada

Post Number: 206
Athena f1.1 or f2.2
or
Klipsch f1 or f2

Silver Member

Brooklyn, NY USA

Post Number: 528
Consider these FloorStanding bargains:

Wharfedale Diamond 8.3 @ Amazon.com for $199/Pair
http://www.amazon.com/Wharfedale-Diamond-Floorstanding-Loudspeakers-Black/dp/B00005IA32

Wharfedate Crystal 30 @ STO Sound & Vision for $109/Pair
http://www.tsto.com/cgi-bin/TSTO.storefront/452c1aa3004684242740ac10034105e4/Pro duct/View/2099&2D2

KEF Coda 9.2 (NOS) @ uBID.com for $49/Each
http://www.ubid.com/KEF_Coda_9.2__2-Way__Floorstanding_Speaker_(Each)/a10814729.html

United Kingdom

Post Number: 4
Thanks for all the help guys, you're awesome.

I ended up buying a pair of speaker stands the other night. They're called Atacama Nexus 7. 70cm tall, spiked, and very heavy. I even filled them with a bucket load of Atabites, which made them REALLY heavy. I don't think those vibrations are going to be doing anything that oughtn't.

The stands with the atabites cost the equivalent of US$150.

The amp and source should be here before the weekend. We'll see about the speaker situation when I visit the store in Cardiff this weekend. They have about half the models recommended here, all of which are burned in and available for listening tests. I'll spend a good hour or two there and just choose whichever one sounds most like the ideal speaker in my mind. The only limitation is that the speakers will have to be bookshelves, now that I have the stands set up.

Will keep you up to date.

How crap will bookshelf speakers sound before I burn them in? I've never had to do it before and my brain is gets particularly irritated by 'off' sounds.

United Kingdom

Post Number: 5
Hi guys,

So I went to the store and after an hour of listening was pretty much completely seduced by the Wharfedale 9.2s. I've just finished breaking in my new pair and all in all the system is amazing (compared to anything I've had in the past)

I'm very satisfied. Thank you all.

Silver Member

Brooklyn, NY USA

Post Number: 552
I thought you might like them, they were number 1 on my list.

Gold Member
Username: T_bomb25

Dayton, Ohio United States

Post Number: 1384
Like Stu said,I would try the PSB B25s,a great speaker with a huge soundstage and tremendous bass with great scale,and they go very well together.

United Kingdom

Post Number: 8
Yeah thanks heaps Christopher M. Your finger was on the pulse, i'll tell you! This is incredible. How have I gone through the last 22 years using a stereo of any less quality than this?

I fear I may have opened a Pandora's Box here...

Silver Member

Brooklyn, NY USA

Post Number: 563
Oliver, 2-years ago I knew less than s**t about any of this stuff. I had bought a plasma tv, and was considering a HTIB for $200, then I walked into Harvey Electronics on a whim for a listen, and I was fatefully introduced to NAD, Marantz, Monitor Audio & Paradigm (I still can't get those damn Studio 20s out of my head). It's been an interesting ride ever since (see my profile).

Basically, I'm a very frugal guy who loves a bargain, and am continually discovering how much I love music. I've spent a lot of time on this board, sat back & read, made a few acquaintances, and listened to & tinkered with a lot of bargain basement quasi-audiophile equipment.

I don't know anything as compared to some of the regulars on this board, but I'd like to think that I'm learning and can be of some help from time to time.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us