Surround speakers

Username: Lavalos

Post Number: 1
I am trying to setup a starter HT system and already have a SONY 5.1 receiver and I am picking up JBL EC25 for center and E30 for main speakers at Ebay. I will also be buying a Sub.

I wanted to complete the speaker set with a pair of JBL E10's for surround but could not find them any more so, could anyone give me a suggestion on speakers that I could use instead in the same quality and price range?

If you can throw any suggestions on Subs that would be great.

Platinum Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 11266
Ebay is not the only source of JBL E10s. Have you tried other online stores?

Post Number: 3
I checked other stores and many of them say that the model is discontinued. I found it in two online stores, one with a very low rating at ResellerRatings and the other with an extremely high price.

Gold Member
Username: Edster922

Abubala, Ababala The Occupation

Post Number: 4616
Luis,

Just go to Best Buy and pick yourself up a pair of the Insignia bookshelf speakers, they run about $40-50/pair and will equally equal if not surpass the JBLs by all accounts.

Search in the avsforum.com for the mega-thread on the Insignias.

You might like them so much that you'll return all of the JBLs and simply buy 3 pairs of them for a 6.1 setup---this will increase your subwoofer budget which IMO would make much more sense esp. if your main use is HT.

Silver Member
Username: Exerciseguy

Brooklyn, NY USA

Post Number: 523
Edster, have you heard the Insigias? They look a bit like "white box" Wharfedale 9s.

Silver Member

Brooklyn, NY USA

Post Number: 524
I mean "white Van", sorry.

Gold Member

Post Number: 4619
No I haven't, but I know several people whose opinions I respect that have, and they were very impressed. One of them is an Ascend owner who said that the Insignias come close to the Infinity Primus 150s which run about triple the price.

The AVS thread on the Insignias is also very convincing.

Silver Member

Brooklyn, NY USA

Post Number: 526
Yeah, I got a chance to read it. Very interesting. I guess they're a step up for the average person.

Are the Infinity Primus series a reincarnation of the Alpha series? They look awful similar. I like the Alpha 20s alot (I gave a pair of b-stocks to my brother that I bought for $97).

Post Number: 4
Right now you can buy a Primus 150 at CircuitCity.com for $49.99 minus $20 rebate, what puts both speakers in the same price range.

Gold Member

Post Number: 4620
CM: no, I think that the Alphas were replaced by the Beta series. Primus is Infinity's entry-level line.

Lavalos: wow, $60 a pair! Not bad indeed.

I'd love to do an AB comparison of the 2...the Insignias do have a full 1" tweeter vs. the Primus' 3/4" one, which makes it an interesting match up.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us