Over-emphasised cymbals....

Sean Williams
Unregistered guest
Hi, I've just bought another C370 amp (used) for a second room but I have a question for you. This amp is so much brighter than the other one, the cymbals are in your face crashing about all the time and WAY too emphasised. I've taken the top off and had a look but it doesn't look to have been tweaked in any way. Is there a chance that something is faulty with the amplifier and if so, what could cause this overemphasised treble?

Bronze Member
Username: Billdashill

Post Number: 87
What amp are you comparing the C370 to in your post? And has the NAD been burned in or was it barely used by the previous owner? Not that it would make much difference, just wondering.

J. Vigne
Unregistered guest
What are the acoustics in both rooms? It sounds as if you are hearing a bright room. Also, are the speakers the same? The speaker cables? Tell us more about the situation. It is very unlikely the amps are different.

Sean Williams
Unregistered guest
Hi, I've tested the amp in my usual set-up just to confirm that it is indeed the amp and not the room. One C370 sounds warm and chocolately and my new one sounds full of treble, very bright and the cymbals are to the fore in every track. When I say "new" it is in fact a 2 year old model so I assume it's burned-in by now! I've also played it for a good couple of days since I bought it. Seems bizarre to me and I was just wondering if anyone knew of any possibilities within the amp such as duff capacitors/resistors etc (Just an idea, I've not actually got a CLUE!)

Bronze Member
Username: Billdashill

Post Number: 88
I also thought of this but failed to mention it...((out of phase speaker cables?)) A distorted sound would be the symtom of a bad capacitor/resistor would it not?

Silver Member
Username: Kegger

MICHIGAN

Post Number: 250
well the only problem with out of phase should
actually lessen the treble.

i've been into electronics for a long time and
have never heard of this situation before.

if the amp was placed into your normal config and
still does this their must be a problem with it.

just double check that it is broken in.
but even then it shouldn't be that different.

i definetly suspect something wrong.

Unregistered guest
I hate to recommend this as my most recent experience with trying to get a question answered by NAD has been very unsatisfactory but, at this point I would give them a call to ask if there were any production changes in that amplifier's model run (say, to "correct a perceived problem) and, if there were, at what serial number did they make the change. Otherwise, if the amplifier meets its specifications there is not too much that can be done short of an overhaul of the offending amplifier. To verify your suspicions you could try finding a technician who would run a frequency sweep on both units while they are hooked to a scope to test for output at various frequencies. But, as I said, if it meets spec there is not much to be done. It only takes a very small increase in amplitude to give the impression of a bright or dull amplifier.

Have you tried diferent inputs? Run your CD player into AUX and TAPE IN to see where the problem might be hiding. Can you isolate the problem to the pre amp or the power amp section? If I remember correctly this anmplifier has pre out and main in. If so, try running one amp as the pre amp while driving the other unit's power amp. Or, if your CD player has a volume control try running the CD directly into your power amp. Your best bet is to start logically isolating the possibilities before you make any calls. I will make one last stupid suggestion as I don't know this amplifier very well. Is there a tone bypass switch? If so, try pushing it several times to see if there might be an interaction there. Also, if you haven't already, just check to see if the treble control is actually in its center detent. It's unlikely but it could be someone, since this is a used amplifier, has messed with that control and you don't know it yet. Unlikely, but this is a start playing around until something changes situation right now. Good luck.

Sean Williams
Unregistered guest
Thanks for your advice, I'll try messing about with various inputs and the pre/power sections as you recommend. I've been listening to the two again this evening and I'm absolutely convinced that one is brighter than the other, the upper frequencies seem to be enhanced. All the bass is still there, it isn't a tinny sound - just that there's too much going on in the treble. It sounds really piercing on most cd's and is unbearable really. Will see what I can deduce...

mark audio4kicks
Unregistered guest
everybody seems to be hooked on NAD, i don`t get it, where does one even find it, years ago i had a cd player and a receiver, both pieces with there hoods off looked like crappy transistor radio`s from the 60`s, and the look is god awful, and there still making there stuff in that deathrow grey, i just don`t get it.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us