Ikon Speakers

Username: Geek74

Toronto, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1
Hello all,

Firstly, I am not a sales person trying to sell anything.

I am in the market to buy speakers and receiver. Budget about US$1,200. I checked out Ikon S.6200's at a store in Mississauga, Ontario and they sounded pretty good to me:
92 db
35hz to 25khz
125 RMS
built in 10" powered woofers in each tower (this is what I liked the most about these speakers - the ability to produce good bass with out a sub kind of thud!).

I am in for music (stereo) and not home theatre sound.

I read a forum posting earlier that demolished these Ikon speakers (forum thread address is below), but my question is simple - its not rocket science; you check them out and they sould pretty good. Is this not what its all about at the end of the day? Does it matter if the product is not an Energy or Boss? What am I missing....? Also, has anyone else purchased these speakers and if yes, what has your experience been?

http://forums.audioholics.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10033

your expert comments would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Vivek

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 9192

You buy what you like. It's that simple. What are you missing if you don't buy a name brand speaker? Resale value. When you finally want to move on from these speakers that were panned in the only review they are likely to get; who do you think will give you any money for them? Otherwise, you buy what you like. It's that simple.

Gold Member
Username: Petergalbraith

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 1940
See other comments here:

https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-audio/270497.html

Personally, I would stay away. This is US$1200 for a pair or a full 5.1 system? US$1200 can get you a pair of really good speakers that, like JV pointed out, will have resale value once you leave the lot. The low frequency extension isn't very impressive considering that they have integrated powered subs, and any resonance from the subs won't be good for the overall sound of the rest of the speaker.

That being said, a lot of people don't agree with my choice of speakers. It's up to you!

Gold Member

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 1941
Also, the brand has been "around" since at least May 2005 according to other posts. Yet the web site's "dealer locator" is still coming soon, and no review exists for them, no internet buzz about how good they are. That alone should tell you something.

Toronto, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 2
Thanks all. Can you suggest some speaker brands with models to look into. My focus is more on music and not movies. Also, I like good bass, but not the club kind.

Thanks.

Gold Member

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 1942
The more available brands in Canada that don't cost a premium relative to our neighbours to the south include Paradigm, Totem, Quest, Mirage, Energy and Athena Technology. The last 3 are held by the same parent company that is now owned by Klipsch, a brand that is also increasingly available here and more competitively priced in Canada than it used to be yet. (For example, Klipsch RF-82 retail for US$1000 and C$1400 a pair in the US and Canada, still a slight premium but not so bad). Totem are higher end, more for music, and are made here in Quebec. Quest are lower end, held by the same parent company as Ikon Audio, but are actually known and sold in stores such as Future Shop (I would tend to put Ikon in the same league as Quest, but they don't extort high prices for Quest speakers).

Other available brands include JBL, Polk Audio, Kef, B&W. The first two are available in big chains but might still be at a premium price compared to canadian brands. Kef and B&W are found in speciality stores and have a huge markup in Canada.

I like Klipsch for movies because of their dynamics. I suppose some people like JBL for movies for the same reason. People on these forum tend to like Paradigm a lot; they have different lines for different budgets (Monitor, Studio and Signature). Athena is more a budget brand known for good bang for the buck and you can get them (often on sale) at places like Future Shop (although it's difficult to audition them properly in those stores), where you will also find Quest, JBL and Polk.

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 4278
JBL's suck.Polk is ok, Athena is ok,Quest is crud, Paradigm is getting cheaper(in price and quality).
Kef used to be ok, but not available much.

Check Revel at a stereo shop.

If you are buying on price#1, Athena is ok.

Toronto, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 3
Peter and Nuck,

Thanks for your comments. I heard JBL's recently at Future Shop and they really sucked in comparision to Polk (JBL's almost missed mid-range completely).

I will try out Athena and Paradigm. I am planning a trip to Bay Bloor just to see what's out there plus I believe they showcase speakers by connecting them to stereo receivers instead of the home theatre one's.

Cheers,
Vivek

Gold Member

Post Number: 4280
Vivek, I must have misunderstood your budget and target. Bay Bloor is wayyy up there in selection and price.

Fun afternoon, I must say!

Let us know.

Toronto, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 5
Well, I am going to check out speakers. Does not mean that I have the doe to splurg...I wish I had, however.

Nuck, what speakers and receiver do you have, if you don't mind me asking.

Thx.

Toronto, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 6
Went to Bay Bloor yesterday.....great afternoon, as you thought it would be, Nuck.

I am soooo sold on Definitive Technology 7006's($1,600). Bi-polar Towers with built in 8" subs....man I can't wait to go pick them up. I would love to go for the 7004's (10" sub's), but a bit pricy in Canada ($2,200).

Guys, if you have not checked these babies out....you need to.

have fun,
VG

Gold Member

Post Number: 4308
Vivek, click on my Name for the speaker info, no receiver.

Those DefTech speakers are quite popular, I only heard them in passing, though.
I but the 8" models will give more than adequate bass response.

Congrats on the aquisition!

Toronto, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 7
Guys,

Bought DefTech 7004's (not 7006's) - need that bass for dire straits (private investigation), G'NR (estranged), et at.

NAD 352 - 80 * 2 stereo integrated amp.

can't wait until delivery day.....

For any one looking to invest in music - check out Canadian Sound in Oakville....

Username: Rtaitt2000

Hey Guy's

I am looking at buying a pair of those ikon speakers myself I have to hear them first, so here is what i know Jbl designed them but they are made in Canada so the quality of the cabinets should be very good.
The subs are amplified which is real nice.....
I will know more once i hear them

Gold Member

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 1972
You gotta wonder if that says much since they are way more expensive than most JBL products these days. They might be assembled in Canada, but I would be surprised if they were actualy made in Canada.

The "Dealer Locator" feature of their web site is still "coming soon".

As much as I'm happy for you to pump money into my economy, I think you should pick another better-known Canadian brand (Paradigm, Totem, Quest, Mirage, Energy and Athena Technology).

Toronto, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 9
check out Def. Tech at Canadian Sound - Oakville (ask for Grant and give my name). You will get top end speakers with powered subs for CAD $1500 - ask for 7004 or 7002 series. Ikon is selling for the same price but no one appears to have heard of them as opposed to Def. Tech - all the sound and vision magazines have write ups on these babies...

You will get the same even at Bay Bloor in Toronto but for an added $500, premium for going to Bay Bloor.

Cheers,
Vivek

Gold Member

Post Number: 4717
To help pay for all the commercials on Q107, no doubt.
VG, how seamless is the bass in your DT's?
I found the low's to be a bit detached when I heard them. That was in a more open space.

Well VG inform yourself do you remember when Energy speakers hit the market way back when no one heard of them but they are known now another Canadian product that is well made. Here is the Ikon web site
www.ikon-audio.com
And VG these speakers are high end the 6200 will go for $1600, also it depends on your application for the speakers for home theater this is where Ikon speakers kick, it made a huge difference for my home theater system over the JBL speakers i had before. I have a combination of Energy,Ikon and i still have my JBL subwoofer.
The sound is amazing these speakers work well together.

Gold Member

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 1973
There's a huge difference between early-year Energy and Ikon speakers in terms of dealer network, audition availability, professionnal acknowlegdment of the brnds and reviews. There's an actual factory flooer you can visit where Energy, Mirage and Athena Technology speakers are assembled but I'm not sure you can say the same about Ikon. The Ikon have been introduced to the marketplace for 2 to 3 years now, and the models have not changed, the web site still shows the 'Dealer Locator' as a feature that is 'coming soon', nobody in the province where they are made knows about them and they are not widely available in stores. That makes them look white-vanish because a price is slapped on them without any real reference.

I always wonder when a new poster joins the forum to ask about such speaker, or rave about them. Possibilities include (but are not limited to):

1- a real person, novice about the market, joins after hearing a demo for some validation before making the purchase. This is Vivek's case.

2- a real person, novice about the market, joins to defend the purchase he made in impulse after hearing a demo.

3- a fake person joins to promote the brand.

Gold Member

Post Number: 4719
Another internet only brand that needs some exposure.
As if there weren't enough.

Peter,
I won't take what you wrote to heart simply because you don't know me just like i don't know you.
One thing I believe we share is a love of Audio I was a DJ for over 15 years, I don't have to tell you how many speakers,amps i have had the pleasure of testing over the years and any sound equipment i have suggested to people over the years I have yet to hear a complaint on the suggestion.
I am not here to promote,I did not buy on impulse I have been looking for over 13 months for a speaker that would compliment my system and i found them.
As for how Ikon markets their product that's their problem,centre-hi-fi has been selling them for 4-5years and can't keep enough of them around i had to wait for mine. To make a long store short when it come down to it you buy a speaker based on how it sounds to you 1st take it a step further on how it is made, and then for me the brand name simply because every speaker that JBL makes does not sound good to me, just like every speaker cerwin vega makes etc, etc

Hopefully in the future we will get the chance to to talk about future purchases.

Gold Member

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 1974
Thanks Rich. It's certainly good to know that Centre Hifi carries them. I have not seen them in any store either in QC or Rimouski.

Toronto, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 10
Hey Guys,

I don't really know how to answer Nuck's question but I can tell you that I went for the DT's only because of their capability to produce low end frequencies. I like my music with good bass, especially when I listen to stuff like Dire Straits, etc. That is exactly why I purchased NAD C 372 (stereo amp) as well - they churn out solid 160 watts per channel at all ranges. I am what you call an "audiophile". To me home theatre does nothing. Its all about music.

Peter put it as well as anyone could - I am a novice when it comes to market and what's out there. But I will tell you this, I had been looking to buy some good stuff for over 5 years. Not until did I listed to the combo - NAD CD player, NAD C 372's and DT's did I decide to go for them.

As for Ikon...I will continue tomorrow morning - my dear wife's losing her patience.....

Cheers guys...

Bronze Member

Toronto, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 11
hey guys,

to continue...i must say that i am not a person that can appreciate Yahama receivers - too "bright" for me. NAD gives me the warmth that i have not experienced else where.

Nuck, its possible that the guy turned up the bass a bit too high on the DT's while he was giving you a demo. the amp's on the speakers are pretty powerful with the capability to kick up the lower frequencies when required. that's probably why you felt that it was disconnected.

Vivek

Username: Revster27

Hello All,

Hope all is well?

I'm new to this forum but would like to input the following... I've personally never tried IKON speakers. I have seen them advertised in a CENTRE HI-FI paper received in the mail... I did some research and found the following website...

http://www.dali.dk/us/

Bottom line the choice is yours what you buy... In my opinion when shopping for audio products always bring your own CD/DVD music. Remember especially with speakers they will always sound different at the store then at home (room acoustics)... Make sure the sales guys are not turning on additional speakers when trying the ones your interested in. If you already have an amp try making the sales guy use an amp that is similar in specs to yours to drive the speakers your trying. Always shop at a reputable store.

My 2 Cents,

revster27

Gold Member
Username: Stu_pitt

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 1541
Louie,

Welcome to the forum. You have some good points and I hope you stick around for a little while.

The speakers you link to aren't the right ones. Dali is a well known and very respected company. There wouldn't be any issues if these were the speakers being considered.

Appearently, Ikon is the manufacturer. Dali makes a line of speakers called Ikon. Maybe the Ikon company is trying to use Dali's model name to confuse the issue and give themselves some credability. Maybe not.

Montreal, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 4
How is everyone doing?

Looking for some feedback on a Home theater reciever
looking to spend between $600-$1000 max
I plan on checking out Pioneer Elite,Yamaha,Onkyo

let me know what you guy's think

Gold Member

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 1975
Rich,

First off, you should start a new thread in the receiver forum (may you have). Second, some brands are expensive in Canada for some unknown (to me) reason. I bought a receiver about 3 years ago from www.ecost.com in the US. It's a www.borderfree.com affiliated site and they quote you a price in C$ that includes shipping to your door, applicable duties and GST, and brokerage fee. The price is all-inclusive; no surprises. At the time, I bought a refurb h/k avr-325 for about C$650 total, which was selling new at Future Shop for about C$1500 plues taxes.

Montreal, Quebec Canada

Hey Peter,
that's a crazy price difference that makes no sense at all so at $650 did that included everything no border fees or hidden taxes???
I have a good friend who is a real Audio head he use to sware by H/K no he longer believes in their product based how they are built poor parts quality and since he is a tech he takes most of these receivers apart, he now likes Yamaha what do you think.

Gold Member

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 1977
Includes everything, yes. You get the total price before you commit to the purchase.

h/k can drive 4 omh loads, which is rare in mid-hi receivers. That's why I picked the brand. Yamaha tend to bundle way too many bells and whistles for my taste (multiple DSP surround modes of hall effects), whereas I tend to want to bypass all that stuff. But other than that, I don't know. AZ on the forum purchased a Yamaha receiver for HT a while back (as I recall) and he said nice things about the particular model; it seemed to be an especially good model for the brand.

Username: Revster27

Stu,

Thanks for the welcome.

Your probably right, maybe Ikon is trying to use the Dali model name for credability.

Username: Brawny

Niagara Falls, Ontario Canada

Top Choice Electronics also carries Ikon. They are in Woodbridge just off Weston Rd. I thought they sounded great.

Gold Member

Post Number: 5001
Good spot, RB.
I get close to there.
How was the listening area and the power/source?

They have a seperate room and I brought in an April Wine cd which they were too happy to put in, and when I was listening to the big ones (6800 ?) I was hearing tones that I have never heard before. They also have a dvd player and asked me if I wanted to watch a movie to listen to the speakers. Ask for Eric or Blair. Tell them Ron B from Niagara Falls referred you.

Montreal, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 7
I would like to wish all of you in this forum all the best for holidays!
Now it's been about 3 weeks since i purchased the 6800 Ikon speakers and I am very happy with them, if your looking for a pair of speakers to make a difference for your home theater these speakers will make it happen for you, they are very powerful and clean, on the music side of things I have heard better, the new JBL's i heard at centre hifi are pretty awesome for music very clean, and Athena speakers also sound very nice.
The Ikon speakers subs are very powerful and clean to the point that having my 10in JBL sub is now pointless so i will be selling it, and picking up a Velodyne DPS-12 12" Subwoofer or an Energy S12.3
sub to get that bass that a 10in sub won't give you.
does anyone have one of these subs?? looking for some feedback

Merry Christmas
I forgot to say that top choice was powering them with a Harmon Kardon.
Rich, what do the 6800's run for?? That way I have a reference point, If you don't mind. Thanks, Ron

Montreal, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 8
Hey Ron,
believe it or not they are listed at $1600 i got them for $900 at centre hifi the sale price was $1000 i got another $100 off. i am using a pioneer VSX D712 5.1 receiver to power them.

Post Number: 4
Wow, that sounds like a great deal for those big 6800's. I have a pioneer 711. I guess your'e a model better.Thanks and Merry Christmas

Montreal, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 9
Hey Brawny,
same to you all the best, listen I guess i made a mistake I have the 6200 Ikons the 6800 are the big boys they are quite $$$$$ i believe around $2200

sorry about that.

Post Number: 5
And I was ready to speed up there. Thats ok.

Gold Member

Post Number: 5024
Had the car warmed up and everything...

Silver Member
Username: Praetorian

Canada

Post Number: 450
Me too and I am in New Brunswick... I have seen these speakers in a local shop believe it or not, I have not had a chance to audition them though. These monsters were freaking HUGE and I did not have the heart to ask the guy to set them up in a demo room when I have absolutely no intention of buying them no matter how much I may end up liking them...

Montreal, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 10
Like i said before they are on special at centre hifi maybe you could order them if you like them.........

Username: Blairman

For the sake of clarity...
cm 6800 - 1995.50 EACH
cm 6500 - 1495.50 EACH
cm 6200 - 995.5 EACH

These prices are right out of the book. They are each, not per pair.

Hey Rich, whats the # for Center Hi Fi and where are they located?? Was that 900 for the pair??

Gold Member

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 1999
Centre Hifi is a chain. The stores are listed in this ad:

http://shopping.montrealgazette.canada.com/ROP/ads.aspx?advid=182270

Not that I want to encourage anyone to buy these speakers without an audition. I still question their value.

Bronze Member

Montreal, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 11
Hey Braun....

that was $900+tax for the pair good luck with your selection there is alot out there to choose from.
I am still enjoying the 6200.........and by the way i have a JBL sub for sale $200 10in 300watts self powered.

Gold Member

Post Number: 5175
Good link from the Gazette, Peter.

Gold Member

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 2002
Thanks Nuck.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts