NAD T763

Bronze Member
Username: Mgkaplan

Calabasas, CA USA

Post Number: 21
I just incorporated an NAD T763 and Paradigm Studio 40s into my A/V system, replacing a Yamaha RX-V 630 and some old polk audio speakers. The system sounds much better than the old one - of course. The sound is warmer and much more refined.

I am surprised however at one thing. This unit as I understand it is 100 watts X 6 - unlike the Yamaha which was 75 watts X 2 (and maybe 38 watts X 6). Somehow, I expected that the increased power would require that to achieve the same volume level, I would have the volume dial set to a much lower level on the NAD than I did on the Yamaha.

What I am experiencing is that my typical volume level on the NAD is -9dB to -20dB. On the Yamaha the volume level read anywhere from -25 dB to -40 dB to achieve the same percieved volume level.

My questions are

Am I comparing apples with oranges? And - are these dB readings typical for this unit?
Is this possibly a result of my current speakers requiring more power than my previous speakers?

Thanks for your input.

Silver Member
Username: Johnny

Missouri

Post Number: 304
Michael,

I think you are indeed comparing apples and oranges. You have a different receiver and different speakers (which have a different resistence and sensitivity I am guessing). To expect them to have exactly the same volume settings is like...well...comparing apples and oranges. Each receiver will be calibrated differently. What is "0" on one may be much lower or higher on another. That T763 has boat loads of power...MUCH more than the Yamaha. Don't fret about where the volume setting is...just enjoy the sound. It is unlikely that you will ever hear how loud the NAD really can get.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us