Nad C320bee vs C352 + t513 vs L70 Receiver

Username: Arnie68

Post Number: 1
I'm thinking to buy a new hifi system, but want also to hook up my TV/playstation and a DVD-player.
I was listening to the DALI Concept6 speakers with the NAD L70 integrated (homecinema)-receiver/DVD-player (all in oneproduct). which sounded pretty good. However, I have the suspicion that I can get better stereo-sound for less money , buying a stereo-only amp and a DVD-player. I was thinking of the NAD T513 DVD-player and either the C320BEE or the C352 amp. I still want to combine them with the DALI speakers. Can anyone tell me his/her advice on the stereo-quality of these combination compared with the L70 receiver? Cheers

Silver Member
Username: John_a

Post Number: 934
Arnie,

You have analogue 5.1 input on the NAD L70. So, personally, I think it would be a missed opportunity if you did not get a DVD-Audio/DVD-video/CD player. There are more and more coming along. I have an NAD T533 and its CD-only performance is outstanding. But DVD-Audio is the best thing since sliced bread. Better.

Silver Member

Post Number: 936
Thinking about it, I am not sure if you already have the L70. If not, it would be waste of money getting a separate player, and I recommend you think of an NAD T533 (for DVD-Audio) with a NAD T743 receiver, or similar models from other makers. That will give you all the flexibility you need and great performance even with stereo CD. If you go for NAD, the T743 has a "Stereo direct" mode where the whole thing is working as a high quality, integrated, stereo amp.

Post Number: 3
Hi John,

thanx for responding. To make myself more clear:
Since my old stereo-system is dying a slow and painfull death, I wanna buy a new one. Up till now I was only interested in good stereo-quality for LPs/CDs, mostly classical/jazz music. However, I like the idea of having both DVD-movies and my playstation in surround mode. But I never experienced HT yet, so I don't know if it really works. Did not listen yet to DVD-audios at all. (BTW, My room is 4.5 x 3.5 x 2.6m).
So my basic problem is maybe this: Shall I spend my money on good stereo amp, or can a get a surround amp with good stereo qualities for a the same or slightly more money, and have HT every now and then without compromising my audiophile demands too much.

So, if I would buy the L70 DVD/receiver, I would by anyway only stereo speakers (probably DALI Concept 6) right now. And buy later smaller rear/center/subwoofer speakers, once my wallet recovered.

Thus, coming back to my question: Is the L70 stereomode comparable with, say, NAD C320 BEE with T513. or is the quality of the 320/513 significantly better (especially since it costs 200 Euros less). because right now surround feels more like a (desirable!) gimmick to me, but as i said i have no experience.

Or buy maybe the 533 instead the 513, preparing for DVD-A? But is the CD-sound of 533 better than 513? (because L70 =1000 Euros, c320/513= 800 Euros, c320/533=1000 Euros). the t743/533 combo (1400 Euros) is beyond budget right now.

Any thoughts/considerations on this topic are appreciated. thanx anyway.

Post Number: 4
Oh ja, maybe that helps to judge on my taste:
My old system is a Musical Fidelity B1 amp, TEAC CD5, and Boston a60 speakers. The TEAC still sounds great, but has problems with copied CDs. And DVD-movies don't look great on my playstation, so that's why I'm thinking to replace the TEAC for a DVD-player.

Silver Member

Post Number: 937
Arnie,

I think I see "where you are coming from". It is difficult to advise. I guess it all depends on economics.

But...the Musical fidelty B1 is a difficult act to follow. If it is working OK, and you want stereo for the time being, keep it. If it isn't working properly, you would have to know the cost of fixing it. It can be impossible to get an estimate from service centers these days, they want to be paid even just for thinking about it. Replacing the B1 with a new amp of similar quality will not be cheap and I can see why you are thinking of the C320 BEE.

If the B1 is OK, then I would definitely recommend a DVD-A player such as the NAD T533 or Cambridge Audio 540D. It will perform very well on CD, but also open up the world of hi-res DVD-A, which is worth it even in two-channel. It will also give you good video performance and leads on to audio in 5.1, if, and when, you go that route. You might also weigh up whether you want to go SACD.

I also wonder whether NAD or another company has something like the L70 but with DVD-A in the pipeline. It is not impossible.

I am currently an enthusiastic convert to DVD-Audio - you might check this forum topic Home Audio/DVD-Audio & SACD.

Therefore I think anyone getting a CD-only player today is missing a great opportunity, and investing in an obsolete format. See the thread I started Twilight of the Compact Disc.

I could be wrong. But that is "where I am coming from", and at least it is something you should think about, in my opinion.

Post Number: 5
John,
thanx for your response. You helped me in identifying a strategy for what I actually want.

I first gonna replace my speakers. They have huge cracks in the membrane.
Definitely i'm NOT gonna buy the L70.
I gonna find out first whther I actually really want surround-system or not.
Then I would buy a NAD T473 or similar and wait a year to upgrade my CD-player to an DVD-Aplayer, once my bank-account recovered. Or first upgrade my DVD-player and get an new amp the year after.
Or my conclusion will be to stay stereo anyway, but with DVD-A support.
MY B1-amp is still operational by the way,. just the volume-control produces a short-circuit signal on the left channel when switched on or turned. I guess it is just a matter of replacing a pot, but that can be expensive as well, i'm not sure if it is worth to spend money on a 15 year old amp. And since I hooked my TV up to it as well, I miss a remote control.

One question, maybe you know at least a link for an answer:

My couch (favourite listening/watching movie location) is right up against the backwall , so potential rear speakers would have to be placed on a approx. 90-degree side angle - next to the wall. Nothing like rear at all, really.
Is a surround-experience possible with a placing like this. Or is it not worth spending money under such circumstances? Because, really, then I am happy to spend my money on true stereo-equipment. Is there a site/forum about placement-advise/-limitations? Maybe I should open a new thread on another forum...
Cheers

Silver Member

Post Number: 945
Arnie,

Yes, you can get surround sound with speakers either side of you. In any surround sound mode, it is good to set the channel delays so that the sound leaves closer speakers a short while after it leaves ones farther away, to compensate for the different times it takes the sound to travel to reach the listening position. 5.1 receivers allow this, and DVD-A does, too; you can adjust the settings to correspond with the distances of the speakers. You don't need this function in stereo, but you do in 5.1.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us