Help - Receiver keeps shutting off on me

Bronze Member
Username: Ryersonresurrected

Post Number: 16
Anybody know what may be wrong with my Kenwood receiver, other than that it's a pile of crap.

It keeps shutting off on me. It sometimes shuts off when turning volume up. But sometimes it will shut off while playing softly and low.

I know it's some sort protection capability it has, but how do i fix this thing? Is there a fuse or something?

Thanx in advance....

Platinum Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 11175
What speakers are you using? What is the impedance load?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 19
I have no idea about that...but i am using Technique speakers...and they were fine for over a year.

This just started happening.

Platinum Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 11182
Impedance load...8 ohms or 4 Ohms.

Check the cables and wires to make sure that there are no crossed wires.

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 4272
Ryerson, I dated a few girls from your school..I remember one time...oh, BTW, your unit is dead, this redhead...

Bronze Member

Post Number: 20
what u mean dead.....it still plays......sometimes just goes off

Gold Member
Username: Kano

BC Canada

Post Number: 1085
If it is going into protection mode and all the connections are good without any frayed wires, it is most likely a short inside the unit. The time between dropouts will eventually decrease to where it will turn off within a few seconds of power up. As you know, this receiver is a pile of crap and not worth repairing.

Go get a Pioneer 1016Tx, it will likely be the same price you paid for the Kenwood and it will last a lot longer.

Username: Cobra11

Post Number: 1
Do you have good air circulation around the unit?

Have you recently added more electronics equipment to your rack that could be throwing off more heat and causing your unit to be warmer than in the past?

Also make sure that your speaker wire connections on the back of the unit as well as the speakers themselves do not have a fine wire acting as a short across the +/- Red/Black connection poles.

Do you have anything plugged into the back of the unit ie: are you using it as an AC power source? If so disconnect.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 21
Thanks Art & Kano

I already have an old Pioneer, still powering nice...

I have nothing attached 2 this Kenwood at the back. Just using 2 play my tunes from the PC.

Air circulation is good i've tried playing it without the cover for a while 2 see...same problem.

There is no dust problem either....it's pretty clean inside....i've looked at the speaker wires.....but haven't tried replacing them yet 2 test that theory out...sounds like a good idea though.

Any more suggestions would be welcomed and appreciated.

Thanx.

Ps : Knuck, the girls at Ryerson ARE hot...Miss Universe was a Rye High girl. Oh the redheads???? tell me about it....

Bronze Member

Post Number: 53
bump

Gold Member

Post Number: 4371
Rye, the answer is the speakers.
The Kenwood(shudder) is unable to power the low impedence of the speakers. The Kenwood is designed to power 8 ohm speakers only, and the power supply is unable to carry a difficult load.

The Pioneer, however, seems to be able to run your speakers. Right then.

BTW, Pioneer has a few new models, for cheap, with power, features and value.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 58
Thanks Nuck....i have other speakers that i suppose i can give a shot.

Except i have been using these speakers for over a year without any trouble...and i was really playing them loud quite often. Would something change, do u think?

If it turns out 2 be the speakers, can i still use them with the Kenwood as b speakers or something? Would they possibly still cause the receiver 2 turn off? I've noticed it hasn't been shuting off on low volume lately..

Thanks again, you've been great help.

Gold Member

Post Number: 4390
Yeah, the receiver is getting tired. It happens.
A lower load(higher impedance) speakers set may give it sommore life.

Check out those new Pioneers, if just for info, they are quite good.

Cheers!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 82
thanks a lot....my old pioneers are still kicking pretty good...i might just have 2 go with pioneers again. My older Pioneer receiver loses the treble if i try 2 play it 2 loud for 2 long....

I bought this Kenwood receiver, and these speakers (technique) for hooking up 2 my computer. Which leads me 2 another question....

Can i be damaging the receiver by hooking up my soundcard to the cd or aux inputs of the Kenwood....i would assume no, but u guys seem 2 know ur stuff.

Also, I want an amp & speakers that will play louder than i can stand it, not as loud as it can handle. lol...i want my system 2 be heard - what kind of amp speakers system should i get for that? what kind of power i mean?

Thanks again :-)
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us