Music for the holidays/ kef iq1 VS wharfedale 9.1

Username: Dwrong

Post Number: 1
hi all, im currently in Beijing China where hifi buying can be a little tricky,
and am choosing between the more expensive iq1's and the cheaper 9.1s, trouble is the store doesnt have test stock of the 9.1s, so i have no idea what they sound like.BTW all from the same store.

the kefs sound good to me, although slightly cold, great midrange and tight bass which is great from such small speakers, and nice soundstage.

I listen to a lot of electronic, bass heavy music, post-rock, jazz , basically across the board.

The 9.1s have recieved rave reviews everywhere,
and i can get them cheaper. .. .. I did listen to 8.1s but didnt even compare to the kefs.

any opinions much appreciated

cheers
Daniel

Bronze Member
Username: Serniter

Piscataway, New Jersey USA

Post Number: 66
I like electronic music and often listen through a pair of Wharfedale speakers (8.3). Though I like the sound, a satellite-subwoofer combination may be better suited for electronic/dance. Mid-range is a Wharfedale strength and is wasted on such music. For pure electonic music, I'd get a good subwoofer (Hsu?) with satellites (Klipsch?). For jazz, the Wharfedales excel.. superb midrange, highs that are detailed without being harsh, and acceptable bass extension. However, you'll need an accurate subwoofer to extend low-frequency response. Wharfedales are not 'cold'. They do demand a good amplifier though. Havent heard the KEFs..

Post Number: 2
thanks for the info Srinivas, ive also heard that the wharfedales are warm sounding...

Im definitely looking at getting a sub as well

Im wanting to pair up with my trusty denon pma 480r 50w amp, so in the end will take it in and see how it does with speakers.

its also strange as i cant find any reviews of the IQ1s at all on the web. . ..

best
daniel

Post Number: 3
got the IQ1s, and am pretty satisfied,
still breaking them in but out of the box, theyre
sweet, and it could be just me but they make listening exciting..

gonna add a sub at some stage too,and then
i will be complete

cheers
dnl

Username: Xxthesiknessxx

Post Number: 2
whats the word on theater research tr-7000? i paid 150 for them. any good?

Gold Member
Username: Stu_pitt

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 1477
Jason -
Are you kidding me?

Don't hijack someone else's thread.

You somehow found this site, yet couldn't find anything on Theater Reasearch?

Do a google search of Theater Research, and see what wonderful things turn up.

Do a google search of The White Van Speaker Scam and see even more great results.

Never buy products on an impulse buy that you know nothing about. $5 or $10 is one thing, $100 or more is something else.

If you bought them on E-Pray, you REALLY deserve to get ripped off. You didn't research them first?

DON'T BUY SPEAKERS FROM THE BACK OF A VAN IN A PARKING LOT, NO MATTER HOW GREAT OF A DEAL IT SEEMS TO BE.

Silver Member
Username: Stefanom

Silver Spring, MD United States

Post Number: 194
But but but....my Dogg Digital speakers are really good!

Post Number: 3
i got them from a pawn shop. not ebay. and i heard them. they didnt sound bad. but im far from an expert on this stuff. ya know. i was just wondering if its possible i got a deal. like i said they did have them hooked. up. 2 of my friends work there. one ive known for years. he said these are the speakers that made him realize his suck.

Post Number: 4
stu. no need to be a dick. i was just lookn for someone that was on recently. concidering i only have until tomorow to return them if i want to. so if i affended you by "hijacking" someone elses thread. go blow yourself. im not in the mood for some internet a.shole to give me sh.t.

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 3586
Stu's a good guy Jason perhaps you follow his advice. The White Van speakers and their kin are a tired topic here and if you search this site and the web in general you'll find plenty of info. Good luck......in more ways than one.

Post Number: 5
should i even try to hook them up? are they useable? just simple stuff im tryn to find out. ive been look on the web all day. all i see is dont buy it. i mean i only paid 150 plus tax from a pawn shop. is it even worth getn rid of them. can i get better for that price? i apologise for all the questions and being difficult.

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 3587
Hook 'em up, if you like them keep them. They are your speakers after all. We don't have to like them for them to meet your needs. $150 don't buy a lot of speaker so if they work for you, more power to you.

Silver Member
Username: Stefanom

Silver Spring, MD United States

Post Number: 195
You can't expect the world for $150, but I wouldn't really mess around with something that is effectively known as a scam speaker. There are things like warranties, guarantees of craftsmanship, etc that you simply have to wonder about when it comes to something like those speakers.

For 150, I would look at something like this:
http://www.fluance.com/fldycothhisp.html
or
http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_nkw=Polk+M20
or
a pair of these
http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_nkw=Infinity+PRIMUS+150
with
http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_nkw=Infinity+PS-8

You won't win any awards with this stuff (well you might...who knows), but I would be willing to guarantee that in the long run you'll be better off with one of those options than with white van speakers that some guy was able to sucker a pawn shop into buying who is now passing the savings on to you.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us