Archive through May 03, 2006

Silver Member
Username: Unbridled_id

ChicagoUsa

Post Number: 133
Seems to be full of propreitary technology, and from what a couple of folks on audioasylum say it's impressive.

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 2649
I listened to it yesterday. I auditioned it against the Naim CD5i, Arcam CD192, and the Audio Refinement CD Complete Alpha. To my ears it came in 3rd place behind the Naim and Audio Refinement players. That said it becomes pretty obvious what I like by the fact that the Naim came in first and the Arcam last.

The Rega has a richer fuller sound than the Arcam with decent rhythm and pacing but sounded unrefined and edgy at the upper end. The Audio Refinement and Rega players had similar presentations with the Rega having more defined bass and the Audio Refinement sounding more coherent in the mids and highs. Everything fit together a little better with the AR player. My favorite was the Naim but by just a hair. The famous Naim rhythm and pacing was in evidence. The AR does have a mod available in my area which puts it's performance out of reach for these players.

The equipment I used for my audition was the Prima Luna Prologue One and Spendor S5e speakers as well as Naim Ariva speakers and a whole host of ProAc's.

Gold Member
Username: John_a

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 3880
Interesting, Art. Thanks.

I wonder if you can add anything on the question of SACD vs. Cd for two-channel?

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 2652
John, I have very few SACD's, less than 20. Also my SACD player isn't of the same quality relatively speaking as my CD player. I must say though that everytime I play an SACD I am struck by the dynamics. A crescendo for instance seems to happen more fluidly and with a less digital haze. The sound seems to rise from a blacker background than with CD. There are however recordings on CD that challenge SACD. The Mahler Symphony No. 1 by the Florida Philharmonic and James Judd on the Harmonia Mundi Classical Express label. A budget Cd that boggles the mind. A must hear for those who want to hear what can be done with the Cd format.

Gold Member

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 3882
Thanks, Art.

I checked your profile to see which players you have. Serious and informative!

Silver Member

ChicagoUsa

Post Number: 134
Hey Art, what did that cdp set you back, audio advisor has them for $995 ...

Silver Member

ChicagoUsa

Post Number: 135
Your Audio Refinement CD Complete Alpha.

Username: Joe_perry

Post Number: 3
i heard it against a rotel 1072

wider and deeper soundstage
image height was higher floating above the speakers
better imaging all around in fact
sounded more like live music - more transparent

but i believe the rotel had stronger bass for the
coldplay disc i was playing

Bronze Member
Username: Nmytree

Post Number: 32
Interesting description by Mr. Kyle.

I just spoke to a friend of mine (he's not a dealer or anything, on Tuesday, who auditioned the Rega Apollo and he commented on how the high frequencies were smooth, musical and fluid, without a hint of harsness or edgieness.

In fact he said the Apollo was smooth and so very pleasing through out the whole frequency spectrum.

I'm guessing that combining different components in the chain, will render different results.

Maybe Art's combo didn't match up well with the Apollo or maybe something else could have been off.

I also wonder how many hours the Apollo had on it.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 2670
I'm sorry UI I was out of the loop for a couple of days. The AR cost me $995 + $50 for the YBA remote.

NMT, You may be right about the Apollo I only used a couple of amps and 5 or 6 different speakers. It was a nice player just not as nice as the other 2 I rated above it, and that would be totally subjective as all of these players had many strengths. The Apollo had just been broken in and may sound better with more time.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 33
Yeah, who knows. It's not unusual to see different results or descriptions of a components sound characters. But it does seem like you made the effort to try different combos.

But it's always interesting to see what a compnent sounds like, in comparison to what the Manufactor says about their product. Those wonderfully written....almost mouth-watering descriptions they use in their marketing literture (and websites) don't always coincide or give a realistic account of their component.

I mean, smoothness, no harshness, no edgieness or digital nasties is part of the syntax used by Rega.

Will be interesting to see how this player pans out.

I plan on giving it an audition in the near future, when I have some time.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 2672
Yeah I'd like to hear it again in a few weeks after it's been played in a bit more. I won't be trading mine out but it's always good to keep listening to new gear.

Post Number: 4
the apollo is what i chose

just a little bit better than everything in its price range that i could
listen to and compare

the nads,cambridges,rotels,music fidelitys,roksans,arcams,marantzs

all good - even great - but the rega
was the best for my system

monitor audio rs6
bryston amp and preamp

Bronze Member

Post Number: 35
t h,

Are you encountering any digital nasties with the Apollo? Any edgieness, harshness or brightness?

Would appreciate your thoughts on this player and what you are hearing.

Tippy2006
Unregistered guest
Anyone has the new Dish Net Sat Key?

Post Number: 5
no harshness or brightness

in fact at first i thought the player was overly smooth
but the more i listen - the more i have come to appreciated the
sound

my previous cd player was a nad 502 and this player did sound hard or harsh at higher volume levels - but to be honest i have never had a cd player that is as high end as the apollo
i did not know what i was missing until now

the real strength of the apollo is the ability to disappear
and let the music exist in a realistic space

i do agree that i am listening at a higher level than normal
but at the same time - listening at low levels is way more
enticing than my previous cd player

Post Number: 6
i have been able to compare my apollo cersus the
naim cd5i and i can say except for bass extension
(slightly better on the naim - both have good punch)
the rega is the clear winner in every other category including prat
luckily for me the rega was also cheaper - some
650 dollars cad cheaper

Gold Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 1182
I am surprised at this mention of harshness with the Apollo. This is not my experience. I've been playing with the Apollo for a couple of weeks and, certainly here in the UK, it's fabulous value for money. Obviously there's the question of personal taste so one might prefer a Naim CD5i's presentation over the Rega's but the Rega shows even more expensive CD players a trick or two. It really is stunning in the right system.

Regards,
Frank.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 2703
I may have to take my Audio Refinement in for a repair. If I do I'll borrow the Apollo and bring it home for a more thorough listen. At the store in Portland it didn't impress me as being better than my AR.

I agree with both Frank and th and I believe I eluded to the fact that my personal preference for the Naim over the Rega had to do with my taste. I would readily admit that the Apollo was more detailed than the Naim but for me was not as fun to listen to. I felt that my AR gave me the best of both worlds. Good detail and articulation particularly in the midband and good rhythm and pacing all for the same price as the Apollo.

Username: Asimov

Post Number: 4
I'm searching for a better CDP over my NAD542, sort listed Cyrus CD6,Naim CD5i,Roksan Kandy MK3D, Creek 50 MK2,Exposure 2010s and lasly Rega Apollo.

Could any body tell me which player will give a significant improvement over my existing NAD542.
Did you compare Rega apollo with NAD c542.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 2704
Probably all of them. It's just a matter of taste which of those you will like better.

Post Number: 5
Then what's the difference between a entry level cdp and a mid-fi/hi-end cdp? Is it just a matter of test? How could we justify our huge additional money spend on mid-fi or hi-end gear?
Please enlighten me.

Recently i'm reading UHF magazine and they emphasize on source, we have to spend highest on source to get the best from a hifi setup.
So i'm searching for a affordable hi-end cdp before upgrading any other component.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 2711
Perhaps you misunderstood. All of the CD players you listed would probably sound better than the C542 but in different ways. I used to own the C542 and liked it very much but it can be easily bested by most of the kilobuck CDP's. So what I meant is that most of the players you listed will sound better than the NAD but it will be a matter of taste or preference which of those sound most appealing to you.

Silver Member
Username: Sun_king

Leeds, West Yorkshire UK

Post Number: 327
Art, I used to have the C542 and have just purchased a Nad Silverline S500 - I wouldn't say there is a night & day difference between them. As the S500 is very highly rated and allegedly "a snip" at the price, the C542 must be one hell of a player with the price tag it carries.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 2713
SK, you and others here on this forum have seen me talk up the C542 for many months. It is an outstanding value for the money. However Asimov sounds like he is looking at the next level up and indeed there is a next level up. Neither you or I still have our C542's. You and I have agreed many times on the value of NAD 2 channel gear. I stand with you that "the C542 must be one hell of a player with the price tag it carries." Indeed.

Post Number: 6
Thanks ART.

First I have to admit that i am not a audiophile but trying very hard to learn.

I'm participating in this forum from a very remote corner of our world so i've limitation to audition the various cdp i choose. My dealer have only NAD542,Rotel RCD02, Cambridge Azur640c and Marantz CD 7200 and I choose NAD542 just three month ago. I've a old NAD 5325 cd player, I find NAD542 more detailed but not involving as 5325. When listening to Miles Davis- Kind of Blue - the cybal sound is not realistic- the decay is short in both cdp.do audiophile call it "timing". Alternative music like coldplay-X&Y- in quick passage of music instrument separation is not evident.

I need a very detailed and sweet sounding cd player but in a very musical manner. I discard Apollo for its edginess on higher frequency according to your review.

So far i know Naim is famous for its musicality and PRAT but is it very detailed? Do the Naim CD5i match with non-Naim amp?
I have choose many model could you help me to narrow it down.

As you and other inmates have vast experience in this field, you could give me a guide line to select the right cdp.
Regards

Silver Member

Leeds, West Yorkshire UK

Post Number: 328
With the digital medium, you're going to find cymbal sounds hard to nail down I'm afraid. Also, you'll never find a player that ticks all your boxes - even if you spend BIG money. With regard to the Naim CD5i, it's a great player but not the most detailed in my opinion. It has excitement though, Nad cdps are a little laid back. I think you'll either love the CD5i or hate it but I'm pretty sure it won't fulfill all your desires.

Silver Member

Leeds, West Yorkshire UK

Post Number: 329
Art, I agree with every word you've said. I hadn't read the thread properly and didn't realise Asimov was looking for the next step up. Realistically though, the "next step up" is a tricky one because the C542 has many strengths and it does take a lot of money to beat it wholesale. My S500 is better but it has taught me that upwards from the C542 is a land of diminishing returns. The $600 cdp category is fantastic these days.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 2714
Don't dismiss the Apollo as it may not have been broken in. I'm hearing from other folks who I respect like Frank that it sounds very good. I have to believe that my experience was anomalous.

I don't think the Naim is very detailed and from your description probably would not meet your needs. The Arcam Diva CD 192 seems like it might be up your alley.

What is the rest of your system? We have a little idea of your music taste but knowing your system would help alot.

Post Number: 7
I've NAD c350 int amp, B&W602s3 speaker, QED qunex2 interconnects and Chord Carnival silver plus single wire speaker cable. Room size 14'x11'x10' feet with hard floor, wall and ceiling without any acoustic treatment, though i need bass trap but not available here. I've to make one myself with native materials.

I listen mainly to soft rock, new age, alternative, country, jazz and various sort of instrumental song (around six hundred cds), late at night at low volume and moderate volume at day time.

It's my first audiophile setup, planning to upgrade my entire setup, starting with cdp and speaker (considering Epos M5,epos12.2, Dynaudio Focus 110/140 and Totem rainmaker/Arro).And finally right amp to drive the speaker.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 2715
The Arcam may fit the bill for you. It's detailed without being bright. I like the plumpness of my Audio Refinement and of the Apollo but they aren't as detailed as the Arcam. If the Apollo does indeed settle down in the high end as has been suggested here it may also be worth considering. I really can't speak to system synergy because you are going to change it all out.

The Audio Refinement line is at the end of its run and will be discontinued. Very soon YBA will introduce a new budget line. No doubt that it will be splendid and perhaps a top contender in your price range.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 36
Asimov, you may want to consider the Eastern Electric Minimax CD Player (which by the way now comes with a black face plate and upgraded caps (Wima....I believe).

http://www.morningstaraudio.com/shop/item.asp?itemid=3

Bronze Member

Post Number: 37
Also, everyone (excluding Art) who has auditoned the Apollo, has spoken very highly of the Apollo and has said the highs are smooth and pleasant, not harsh or edgie. I believe Art's experience had other negative elements at work and it was not an accurate representation of the Apollo.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 2719
As I said the player may not have been run in yet. Other than that I used the same associated equipment and interconnects with all of the players I compared.

Silver Member

Leeds, West Yorkshire UK

Post Number: 330
Although the Rega has its virtues, the overall sound isn't to a lot of peoples' liking. I've heard the harsh treble being mentioned before. One of my buddies on another forum had one, moved over from a Rotel cdp but then went straight back! That was paired with a naturally warm sounding Sugden amp so I would imagine it's rather edgy in any system although I must stress that I've never listened to one. Also, I'm not sure I believe in electronics needing to be "run in" - speakers yes but not cd players.

Bronze Member
Username: Bvan

Post Number: 50
for what it might add, i had the apollo for a weekend and did extensive comparisons between it and my denon 2200 and 2900 universal players. i ran two identical cd's simultaniously on each source and flicked back and forth for hours on end.

my impression was quite favourable. firstly, it had more bass than the denons. but what i most liked about it was that images seemed more solid/whole/'organic', and the denon a bit flat and 2-dimentional by comparison. not 2-dimentional as each instrument relates to others, but that each instrument/voice seemed a bit better fleshed out with the rega.

the differences were slight though. i would/will buy the player when i get funds, but its not a priority as the differences were small compared to what i'll get from adding a decent sub and bass traps to my setup, which is my priority at the moment.

i found the apllo closer to the 2200 than the 2900. but i'm one of the few that prefere the 2200 to the 2900. the 2200 is the brighter/more open sounding player of the two, but it never did accur to me that the rega was in any way harsh in the trebble. my overall impression was of a rather smooth analogue-like sound.

unfortunately i dont have much experience with other cd players in my system so i cant make any meaningfull statement about the rega apart from how it rates against the denon universal player.

cheers

b

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 2721
The Marantz CC4300 outperforms the Denon's for redbook playback so that's not real difficult. The NAD C542 was head and shoulders better than the other two. The Denons do an admirable job with hi res but not so special with redbook. At least that has been my experience. I own the DVD2910 (and have a friend with the 3910)and used to own the other two players I mentioned.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 53
anyone heard both the apollo and the bel canto dac2? which do you favour?

the bel canto was going to be my buy before the apollo came along, and i'm still a bit undecided. no chance for me to hear the dac 2 unfortunately.

cheers

b

Gold Member

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 1196
Asimov,

All the players you have in your list will outplay the C542 to a greater or lesser extent. The problem is that they're all so different that it's not easy to tell you to discount a player. If you have the opportunity to hear them then do so, since this will give you more of an idea of which way you can go with the presentation as well as arm you with more understanding of what the 542 does right and what it doesn't.

The Apollo has impressed me very much more than it appears to have impressed Bvan. I don't subscribe to the idea of flicking between one source and the other with the two discs and playing through different inputs. Some preamps sound better through one input over another, the interconnects (although identical models) could be performing differently, and even the discs could be different due to different stampers. Far preferable to listen to more of a track and switch over interconnects and CD. This allows you time to evaluate the effect of the listening process. You're not just looking for differences in presentation, but differences in emotional connection - something that you cannot do by flicking over sources like that.

Regards,
Frank.

Silver Member

Leeds, West Yorkshire UK

Post Number: 331
"Far preferable to listen to more of a track and switch over interconnects and CD. This allows you time to evaluate the effect of the listening process. You're not just looking for differences in presentation, but differences in emotional connection - something that you cannot do by flicking over sources like that."

Good point Frank.

UKAdam
Unregistered guest
I have had an Apollo for a few months now. At the time I auditioned against similarily priced Rotel, Arcam , Audiolab, Cyrus 6 and Naim CD5. The Apollo was simply more engaging and musical than the rest, and also at the cheaper end of the scale - in the UK it is £350 cheaper than the Naim.

It sounds hard when cold though, and openness and detail could sound harsh with the wrong partners. I have it paired to an Arcam Alpha 3 and Kef iQ3 (both due for replacement) and it can set teeth on edge from time to time.

However I think, Asimov, that it would suit your tastes and listening style.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 57
yeah, i think its also very important to listen to a few favourite track all the way through, without flicking, and try to guage how the music effects the emotional centre.

didnt think about cables or inputs possibly being different, might have to do few listning tests now.

just found out i can get my tax back when i leave the country(25% in denmark), so i've decided i'm going for the rega over the bel canto dac.

b

Unregistered guest
Both I and my non-audiophile wife had two shots auditioning the Apollo against the Arcam CD73. I have an Arcam alpha 6+ amp and expectected to buy the well-reviewed and popular Arcam, but having popped into a hifi shop just to hear the rega, we were both very surprised how engaging it was. I bought the Rega, and in my system it sounds great - detailed, accurate bass, no harshness in the upper range, a clean sound. It is well focussed and gives a solid sound stage with well localised instruments. After a month listening to it, I would recommend it as a very musical CD player.

Post Number: 7
THE THING IS THE APOLLO SOUNDS GREAT FOR THE PRICE BUT AS THE PLAYER WARMS UP (AFTER 30MINUTES) IT
BECOMES A FANTASTIC PLAYER REGARDLESS OF COST

ukadam
Unregistered guest
Hi Clive. What are the other components in your system?

rubber_duck
Unregistered guest
I put the Naim in the too hard basket. It seems to play the music differently every time you play a disk. One day it's bright and bouncy, next day it's in the armchair smokin cigars. Looked sexy, and had that cool feel about it. At the time I also had the similar Rega Jupiter and found it too be a bit soft for me, (plus that lid thing was just dumb and over time would annoy me). I like a bit of detail and as I'm not an old fhart, a nice fat bit of Bass in there too thankyou very much. I also find that most of the UK designers like the smoother analogue sound (or to paper over the cracks) and that bass is a dirty word and procede to kill it. Maybe they never get the time to go to live rock gigs, where there is lots of bass and bright screaming guitars, who knows?
When you think about it though, this makes sense if you live in a shoebox sized apartment in London where chances are you won't be able to crank the volume knob to 11, but I would like to hear the Apollo up against the Audiolab 8000, Rotel 1072, and the Azur 640 v2. End of the day I'm sure it will come down to whether you like lagers or bitters. Cheers.

Gold Member

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 3957
Thanks to all for this thread, and to Frank for bringing the Rega Apollo to my attention on another.

I have one on trial at home this weekend. Initial impressions are extremely positive.

Don RX-1
Unregistered guest
John A.

When you do get the chance, please do post your impressions of and comments about the Apollo.

Regards,
Don

Gold Member

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 3961
Don,

Will do.

I put a few comments on "Old Dogs" but nothing like a review.

All I can compare it with from personal experience, in my system, is the CD-replay performance of my NAD T533 DVD player. It is no contest. The Apollo has amazed me, and caused me to revise my opinion of CD, as a format.

It stays, that I know!

Gold Member

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 3979
Manufacturer's link on Rega Apollo The title is "Rega Planet CD player" (sic.)

Here are some edited extracts from my posts on the Rega Apollo, from Teaching an old dog new tricks... under "DVD-Audio & SACD", with additional comments.

As I said, above, my comparison is with an NAD T533 DVD/CD player. I am aware that this is not the most telling comparison... I have not tried the CD-player competition. For all I know, these observations could apply to other makes.

Rest of system - click on "John A" in column to the left.

Thanks to several people on this and other threads for drawing my attention to the Rega Apollo.

Sound

There is just more to hear, and listen to, there in the music. Instruments are more like themselves, and more easily resolved within the overall sound.

Also, I am more aware of dynamics, and phrasing, and where the individual sound sources are in relation to each other.

Example 1

I put on Walton's "Spitfire Prelude and Fugue", recently purchased on Naxos. That was about my eighth Rega Apollo CD sample. Like all the rest, night and day. Many things are immediately noticeable. Like the tuba in the "Fugue". Before it was just part of a nice, bass, oomphing noise. Now it's a tuba.

Example 2

I tried my EMI Rattle/BPO Mahler 5 DVD-A a while ago in two channel. The sound was artificial; little natural reverb; sounded ghostly in some way. Then I tried the "el cheapo" Naxos Polish National Radio Symphony orchestra CD. Much better. Gorgeous sound; natural; each instrument in its natural tones and colours. Great balance. Like being there. And on the Apollo. Ah... That little pizzicato section in the third movement; you can hear natural echos of each little "plink" and "plonk", no matter how quietly they play

This is attempted analysis, and it is not easy to write "thrilling", but that is the overall effect, for whatever reason.

Yes, there is a big difference between CD players. "They are all reading 1s and 0s" (which I once maintained) is missing the point.

The CD is not the low-resolution medium I thought.

"How does it sound?": more detail; greater resolution; more music; more like the real thing.

I find this in all parts of the audio spectrum. For example.

- Unmuted brass is shimmering. When the instruments are muted, there is no doubt.

- High instruments (violins, flutes) seem more real. Difficult to put into words.

- Voices are more clearly discernible, and words more distinct.

- Percussion is altogether more convincing. A roll on a kettledrum has a more definite pitch, and the individual hammer-strikes in the roll are resolved.

- Brass is resolved. Long ago I use to play, and recognise the sound of a cold trumpet compared with one warmed up. First entries of trumpets sound like they are cold - a sort of more forced initial transient.

- Bass is more resolved. Lower instruments are more distinct from each other. Noticable with strings, for example, which no longer fuse to make a sort of generic "low strings" sound.

Features

It is top-loading. Mrs A said "is that weird thing on the top, in the middle, where you put the CD...?" She also points out it will not go in a rack. And looks like another spare part from a museum of steam locomotives.

Personally, I like it. I never took to those trays.

The design is altogether more logical and intuitive, at least to me. You press a button to select a track, but it does not play until you press "Play". Why didn't NAD think of that?

Here is another trivial point: you can actually switch the Apollo off. Major new technology!

You can also switch off the Apollo's display, and listen in the dark.

Background

By the way, the Apollo manual says:

To the best of our understanding, there have only ever been five large multinational companies with the technology and knowledge base to develop the remarkably complex operating software for CD players. Development of this software and chip-sets to operate CD transports was generally curtailed around eight to ten years ago. All development effort was directed towards the design of DVD players and other advanced formats. Rega and other specialist Hi Fi manufacturers were totally reliant on companies like Sony and Phillips to supply transports and their operating chip-sets. In 2003 Sony stopped supply and sent the specialist Hi Fi industry into a flurry of activity in search of feasible alternative

I wonder if Rega is declaring its willingness to supply transports and chipsets, as it does turntable tonearms, to other manufacturers.

Verdict

Of course, it everything depends on the user's priorities.

For playing music, from CD, in order to listen to it, I can recommend this CD player.

Gold Member

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 4068
See also the thread Rega Apollo vs Naim CD5i?

Silver Member
Username: Black_math

Post Number: 321
I remember telling somebody on this forum (a few years ago) that CD's weren't that bad of a medium at all. DVD-A and SACD were better, but not by the wide margin that was being claimed. Of course this met with loud and thunderous disagreement from the peanut gallery. I stood my ground and claimed that the user needed to hear newly mastered CD's through a good quality player.

I'm glad you finally saw the light, John! Enjoy the Apollo. Rega makes some nice stuff.

Gold Member

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 4079
That's right, Ben. I remember. And thanks.

I have changed countries since then, and assembled a new system. I still have, here, the DVD-A player I was so keen on, but only two channels at the moment, and I have few DVD-A discs with that option. 5.1 DVD-A discs with the channels set on the player to Left and Right -only - should give benefits, but not to my ears. Any gain in detail I cannot hear because it is lost by the lack of focus.

It looks like you were right, too, about SACD gaining ground over DVD-A. I looked into SACD, but decided to go with a new CD player for the time being. SACD is now advertised by recording companies as the way to get surround sound, which I cannot use right now.

I should probably go back to "Twilight of the CD" and post there.

I recall also that you don't care for classical, but that's one area where SACD is definitely making its mark, all now as hybrid discs where CD is for 2-channel and SACD is for surround. Some of these discs have two-channel SACD, but, again, not many.

Thanks again for all those old discussions and arguments. I learned something.

Best regards.

Silver Member
Username: My_rantz

Australia

Post Number: 496
A Rega Apollo Review:

http://www.audioenz.co.nz/2006/rega_apollo.shtml

Gold Member

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 4081
Thanks, MR.

I agree with that guy about the detail in the sound. Amazing. I didn't know that kind of resolution was on CDs in the first place.

Marks to Ben, also Rick B., who said similar things about CD.

Silver Member
Username: Black_math

Post Number: 322
I'm not sure SACD is going to last. I think a high quality CD player is th3e way to go.

http://stereophile.com/news/032006naxos/

Silver Member

Cape Town, Copenhagen,...

Post Number: 101
i've got a question for you fellow apollo owners that i hope you can help me with.

when you load a new disk, what does it say in the display?

mine sometimes says 'initializing', sometimes says"resume", and sometimes just says 'rega apollo'.

this inconsistency strikes me as a little odd. hoping its not only my player doing this.

cheers

b.

Gold Member

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 4084
Bvan,

"Initialising" for some seconds when you put a disc in and press "play". It does not play until initialisation is complete.

"Resuming" when you press "play" after "stop". I think that means the disc has already been initialised.

"Rega Apollo" when you put a disc in and do nothing. It may move to "initialising" on its own, after a while, so that it is ready to play.

I think that's it.

I am not sure what "initialising" is doing, whether it's just checking what sort of disc it is, or something else.

Silver Member

Post Number: 102
thanks john.

strange, when i try today, i cant get it to say anything but 'initialize' when i put a disk in and do nothing. cant get it to say "resume" if i press "play" after "stop" as you say, or "rega apollo" when i put a disk in and do nothing. tempremental it seems, but at least it always plays, and play it does!

b

Gold Member

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 4086
Bvan,

There is probably some logic in there - it is only a chip.

Yes, it plays! I like the controls. To me they are simple and intuitive; it does not play until you tell it, and until it is ready.

In contrast, my NAD seemed to have ideas of its own. It would autostart, and commence playing from any track whose number you might accidentally have keyed in.

So you moved OK?

Silver Member

Post Number: 104
moved? who me? if you mean down under then no, 3 months to go. i'm busy playing mental tetris with all my components, trying to figure out how i'm going to make 30kg look small enough to qualify as hand luggage. if only one could travel without actually having to travel...

b

Gold Member

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 4091
OK, Bvan. It said "Sydney". Thought you'd made the move. Good luck.

Bronze Member
Username: Jazzwannabe

Post Number: 20
John, bvan, and others who now own an Apollo:

In the AudioEnz review, the writer niggled, "...overall build quality...only adequate. The front panel is distinctly flimsy plastic and panel is fixed with screws that are a different colour from older Rega components, so the new CD player won't match the Brio or Mira amps." and "The new CD transport also left me cold. ...instead of lid-mounted puck to hold the CD in place, there are three, spring loaded ball-bearings in the hub."

Do you think the writer was simply nitpicking? Are you content with the build quality? Do you have any problem with the "flimsy plastic front panel" and the CD transport?

I'm just curious. I wanted to hear from people who own and use the Apollo on a regular basis, not a professional reviewer who has only spent a limited time on it.

thanks,
Don

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 2058
The front panel is for appearance only, and has but to support the swivveling knobs and a few switches.
So long as the knobs and switches operate properly, the unit should operate satisfactorily.
Extra thickness and/or switch sturdiness, are for purpose protection only.
"handle me with care' Roy Orbison.

Gold Member

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 4093
Don,

I think the build quality is fine. Nice and heavy. Mine is black. The screw heads look black, to me, too.

The front panel has an on-off switch and buttons for play, pause, and skip forwards and back. The rest is done with the remote.

The lid to the CD compartment is smooth, solid and quiet. The spring-loaded three-ball chuck works. I haven't seen the Planet or Jupiter to compare, but I can't see any problem with the build quality. It is solid and built to last.

Silver Member

Post Number: 114
i'm happy with the build quality.

i've said before somewhere that i'm very impressed with the engineering of the lid, smooth as silk with no play in it whatsoever.

the front plate is plastic but this is only apparent if one taps it. i dont think it needs to any more robust than it is. of course metal is nicer but its only the idea of having metal realy, isnt it? and i prefere the idea of them spending my $1000 on the insides.

i like the three-ball mechanism a lot more than a draw. no moving parts that will ever play up. takes maybe a second or two longer than dropping the disk onto a tray, and a minor degree of dexterity, but nothing that bothers me.

also, it runs very quiet. so i'm happy. i dont want to pay more than i have to so it can have a jewelery-grade finish, not at this price point anyway. i just want it to look nice enough, be reliable, and have a well thought out design.

b.

got to handle the new nad master series a few days ago, very impressive. maybe build quality like that does trick one into believing it sounds better than it does?

Username: Jack_dotson

Post Number: 9
Took back a cable to my dealer and got to stop and listen to the Apollo for a good while. It still retains the Rega sound that I heard from the Planet I used to own, but is also muched improved.

I heard not a hint of harshness, as a matter of fact I actually thought it had a soft and easy sound. It does bring out the small nuances of the music much better than the Planet. Phrasing is vastly improved and it just boogies better then my Planet did. I found it very easy to lisetn to.

It has a tight bass and balanced sound overall. But once again, it still sounded allot like the Planet to me, just better. It was fun to listen to and I couldn't find anything to dislike, but at the same time it didn't really blow me away either.

My Naim CD5i has a more up front and in your face presentation and IMO sounds more dynamic. Many say it's not as detailed as the Apollo and I think I agree, or do I? I did hear very good detail with the Apollo, but on the Naim the subtle little breaths a singer or horn player takes are more pronounced. It's wierd. Both have very good detail, but in an entirely different way. Does that make sense at all?

It's hard for me to be unbiased, but if you offer me a new Apollo and the extra cash I spent for my Naim I'd have to say no. I can tell you this, both are very good machines. However, they are also very different and in the end it's going to depend on what you like.

The Naim to me just sounds more realistic. Like your in the front row of a small club. You feel the atmosphere. Some will like this kind of a sound and some will like the polite nature of the Apollo.

I love my Naim. :-)

Bronze Member
Username: Jazzwannabe

Post Number: 21
John / bvan,

Thanks for the feedback. Nice to hear real reviews from owners.

have a great weekend,
Don

Gold Member

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 4095
Cheers, Don.

Silver Member

Post Number: 137
interesting thing....my apollo was acting a bit temperamental, something with the software, so the shop swaped me for a new one yesterday. its been burning in for about 24 hours.

i've been doing an ab test for the last hour between the apollo and my denon 2200. listning to whole tracks, and also flicking between the same track playing on both player. for the life of me i cant hear a single difference between the two players. not what i expected, but i'm putting it down to the 'break-in' that i never believed in before today.

will report back in a week or so if i hear any changes, or dont.

b.

Silver Member

Post Number: 140
5 days into the break-in and i can report that i find it impossible to tell the apollo apart from the denon.

i've been doing an hour of very dedicated a/b comparisons every day since i got my new apollo, and while there have been some instances where i think i notice a very very miniscule difference between the two players, it is so small that if i had spent 15 seconds changing cables between players i'm positive that there is no way in a million years that i would spot that difference.

this last week has been a bit of a surprise to me. not least of all because i reported hearing differences between my first apollo and my denon. but, i cant remember if i did those tests blind or not and i'm coming increasingly to the conclusion that sighted tests are meaningless.

maybe theres something wrong with the player/speakers/ears? either way, i think i would be stupid to keep $1000 tied up in a dedicated cd player, especially when my system is still missing the bottom most octave.

i've never been an "all cd players sound the same" kind of guy, i'm just reporting what i'm hearing, even if it does cost me what little credibility i might have had.

thoughts welcome,

b.

Silver Member

Post Number: 142
no comments? guess y'all think i've lost it:-) if there's anyone in denmark reading this, i'm putting up a case of beers for anyone that can pick the rega.

b.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 3155
No Bvan I don't think you've lost it. Remember I've heard the Rega and own a Denon. Your credibility is in tact.

Gold Member

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 4138
I agree with Art. If you really want to follow the trail, Bvan, the next thing to do is probably find sources that truly sound better and worse than those two, just to check that the rest of your system is not the limiting factor.

Silver Member

Post Number: 144
agree. trip to the store planned. keen to hear the arcam 73, and some real high-end player.

wonder if my friendly dealer has the courage to wear the blindfold :-)

b.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 3161
You may want to try the new YBA Design player. YBA has a unique sound which I really enjoy.

Silver Member

Post Number: 145
quick update, for what its worth.

roped my fiancee into some blind ab tests today. first she reprogramed the remote after flipping a coin, so that i couldnt know which input was being used. one thing we did differently was play at much louder volumes than normal. for the first time i thought i could hear a consistent though extremely small difference between the player. after confidently declaring which one was the rega(because i prefered it), it turned out to be the denon.

my girlfriend, who's done these tests before and often seems to have beter ears than me, then had a go, with me randomly reprogramming the remote.

we both reached the same conclusion: the rega is ever so slightly, and i mean slightly, smoother and more laid back(recessed vocals). but we both prefered the denon.

b.

still planning a trip to the store

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 3172
Yikes!!!

Silver Member

Post Number: 146
i'd say!!

Gold Member

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 4143
That is quite some girlfiend.

Silver Member

Post Number: 148
i'd say. did you read the one about when i sent her to the store to pick up some b&w 601's, and she phones me up pleading 'cant we get the 602's, they got much better bass?' thats when i proposed.

b.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2321
That's (sniff) beautiful!

Gold Member

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 4146
" i sent her to the store to pick up some b&w 601's"

That is real devotion in both directions.

I recommend marriage.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 55
If you don't marry her, I will!!! LOL!

Silver Member

Post Number: 149
"That is real devotion in both directions."

and trust john. imagine she dropped them!

we plan to wed in 2 months. i'll let you know if it doesnt work out NMytree. but i got to warn you she's angling for a 42" plasma. she's off tomorrow to race a lamborghini murcielago across 3 continents in 10 days so no need anyone feel sory for her anyone.

cheers

b.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 56
Congratulations Bvan!

Best wishes and all the best of health and happiness, to you both!

Silver Member

Post Number: 150
thanks mate. lets just hope she makes it home in one piece.

b.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2327
And our next contestant on 'pick your future wife is...'.
Every single guy is wowwed.

Gold Member

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 4147
All best wishes to you, Bvan, and to Miss Lambourghini, the future Mrs Bvan.

Silver Member

Post Number: 151
thanks john.

just so nobody gets the wrong impression, neither of us own the lambo. its a good freind of my fiancee who's invited her on a race called the 'gumball'. we couldnt affort to fill the tank unfortunately.

finall apollo update: after a week of breaking in the apollo has come into its own, for better or worse. i can see the apeal of the extra smoothnesss over the denon, and i think on certain material i would prefer the apollo to the denon.

but it depends also on personal tastes. and whatever spin might be put on the presentation i.e i dont think i would have a hard time persuading a neophite that the denon is better because it is more open, detailed and exciting.

maybe i'm only now learning what hi-end sources should sound like. while i've heard many hi-end systems, i cant say i've heard any hi-end sources as i've never swaped players in and out of a familiar system. i've only once heard vinyl properly, when i a/b'd the apollo with the rega p3, and i remember the p3 sounding smooth and very laid back with very rolled off highs compared to the apollo. maybe this is an aquired taste, or something which rewards over longer listning sessions.

its been a good learing experience for me straining my ears like this every day. teaching me how to listen. i think i'll keep the apollo now, not only because of the extra perspective it offers, but becuase it runs a lot quiter than the denon sometimes does. and i figure the denon will last me twice as long if i'm not playing 10 cd on it every day, so it wont in fact cost me much more in the long run to have 2 players. and i get 25% of its price back when i leave the country.

cheers all

b.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2341
Very good, b.
If you have found a source for reference (actually 2), then you are ahead of the game.
My recent foray into cdp's was more enlightening than yours, because I started with something far less than your Denon.

And 25% ian't bad at all.

Have your lady take care, those cars are not made to crash well.

Bronze Member
Username: Ravbains

MelbourneAustralia

Post Number: 56
Hi Bvan,

just read the last few updates on your Rega Apollo.

I must chime in, a fiancee who likes hifi, and gets to race the odd Lambo. Sounds like you are a lucky guy.

Best wishes and congratulations
Rav

Silver Member

Post Number: 153
thanks ravinder. and yeah, i must say, its not only great speakers they make in denmark :-)

b.

Gold Member
Username: Gavincumm

New York USA

Post Number: 1061
yeah... Ive got the same situation here.

my gf is just as bad as I am. She doesnt even flinch when I mention high priced electronics.

Last night I was talking about the new McIntosh MS300 music server, which is totally lossless, and comes in at roughly $5000.

She went, "oh cool, like an audiophile quality ipod, and if I get that job Im shooting for, I'll think about that Mac CD changer you have been looking at to go with your amp / preamp combo. It's what... $2500?"

Then when she found out that the ML clarities are being replaced in the fall, she went GOOD! This means I can pick up a pair for less than $2400 when the new model comes out hopefully.

Gotta love having a gf that has a good ear... lol

Gold Member

New York USA

Post Number: 1062
there are a few women that are members of the board, such as margie.

Silver Member

Post Number: 163
jeez gavin! i'll trade ya?

had a listen to an arcam today as i had treatened to. was the 73. had a dedicated room at the shop for about an hour, was too small a room for the speakers (dyn 52, but the room was a square shoebox). i feel like a very non-audiophile now which is why i'm making excuses. all i can say after my time listning to both the 73 and the apollo in the same room and with familiar electronics (amp was arcam a80) is that the arcam is brighter. cymbals and high hats stood out more, vocals were higher and possibly more open sounding. rega was darker, noticed no diference in bottom end or soundstaging. cant even say which i prefere. if youd said '"look how open and detailed player A is" i would have thought it the better player. if you'd said to me "look how smooth and vinyl-like player b is" i would have been reaching my check book. store demoing cd players is an impossibility for me i think. thats the best i can do. i take my hat off to those of you with better ears and more skill at describing what you hear. a weekend of psychtropically enhanced late night sessons and i'm pretty sure i could do a lot better.

b,

Gold Member

New York USA

Post Number: 1070
My gf (name is Sarah) used to play the sax, so she is very keen when it comes to timbre of the instrument. If anything is off, I hear about it.

I myself (along with sarah, obviously) can decipher the differences between the makes of saxes, as well as the mouthpieces and various reeds, so we listen to a ton of smooth jazz and instrumental pop such as Candy Dulfer, Boney James, Mindi Abair, and the Rippingtons, which are sax driven, as well as Keiko Matsui, which features the piano, but is heavy on the sax.

Granted, we listen to much more than that, but if a speaker cant move us with the sax, it isn't going to be any good for us :-)

Gold Member

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 1351
Bvan

Analysis is the death of demos. It seems to me that you spend too much time analysing which then means you don't spend any time connecting to the performances.

In the end, nobody should give two hoots about a player sounding more detailed. They should be concerned with the performance of the music instead.

Regards,
Frank.

Silver Member

Post Number: 165
i did listen to whole tracks in a deliberately uncritical way, but i found it difficult.

i agree that its the more importand method when buying, but i wasnt having to make this decision luckily, only listning to see what the technical differences were, sort of still trying to prove to myself that all players dont sound the same, if you follow.

what makes your method more difficultit seems, is that if i listen to the same track or album twice, on the same player, i will often me more moved by either the the first or second performance. i think think usually the first, otherwise we would often listen to the same album back to back for fun, which i seldom do. also, there is the issue of memory when listning to two different plkayers, how do i remember how much i enjoyed the fist player. one has to hold that impression of 'A' in the memory the whole time one is listning to "B".

would you concede that if there are differences in enjoyment between two players that there should also be specific, technical differences that we can pick out? can we have one without the other? otherwise all personal reviews and opinions on these pages could only say 'i prefered this player to that' and no more. no 'why'.

for myself, if i was buying, i would insist on an overnight home demo. spending the first 90% of the time with the analitical side of my brain switched off. but i would spend the last hour doing instantanious flicking between players, just so's i could have more to say if someone asked me the difference, which we all do on these forums.

i appreciate your comments. it has influenced the way i demo players.

cheers

b.

psst, you see the 140 thread? :-)

and btw, i'm off to see the flaming lips in 2 hours!!!

Gold Member

New York USA

Post Number: 1073
I myself will take a player that is smooth, and well balanced vs. one that imparts a digital sound to the music, like way too many of the players that I have heard. It is a shame that the players that are actually DECENT don't get a lions share of the sales because the non-audiophile (and even some of the audiophile croud) likes accentuated highs... Anyone think Axiom?

I'll freely admit that when Im in the right mood, I like the sound of certain klipsch designs, but they aren't my forte for day in, day out listening like my maggies.

I myself have yet to hear the apollo.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us