POWER amplifier

mack
Unregistered guest
is there any home audio amps that run at 4 ohms

Silver Member
Username: Gman

Mt. Pleasant, SC

Post Number: 493
There are a lot of home amps that power both 8 ohm and 4 ohm speakers. It costs no more to make an amp that does 8 ohm. While it does cost more to make an 8 ohm amp reliably power 4 ohm speakers.

mack
Unregistered guest
so it is possible to easily run 4 ohm car subs on a 4 ohm home amplifier right.

Silver Member
Username: Gman

Mt. Pleasant, SC

Post Number: 503
It depends on the speaker efficiency and the power requirements of the speaker---and the power envelope of the amp.

One usually powers car subs with fairly inexpensive, but powerful BASH amps (or something similar). Most home amps are of insufficient power to adequately drive car sub speakers.

Car subs don't normally have the luxury of being enclosed in a big box, so to compensate they are generally driven by down and dirty, but powerful amps---also car subwoofers don't have much area to cover. A home sub is usually in a room many times larger than a cars interior.

But let me get back to what I said earlier---speaker efficiency. A 4 ohm speaker with 90 db sensitivity will require far less power for the same loudness than one at 84 db's.

So one would have to know where you are playing this sub (car or room), what is the efficiency (sensitivity), is it enclosed, loose, or just mounted on a board, etc.

There is no easy answer to your question without you supplying a lot of information.

mack
Unregistered guest
I plan on runnning 3 12 inch jl w0's in my room. I plan on using a sealed or ported enclosure. I have as much room as i want and can make the enclosure as big or small as i want it. Its sensitivity is 87.6 dB. Thanks alot for your help.

All other specs of this subwoofer can be found at http://www.dealtime.co.uk/xPF-Jl_Audio_12W0
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us