Upgrade Path

Silver Member
Username: Stefanom

Silver Spring, MD United States

Post Number: 178
Good evening folks,

Basically, I'm looking to gather opinions on what would be the most effective upgrade path for my system. As it stands now, I've got a 2.0 system based off a pair of Tim's Emmas and a HK 3380. Overall, I am very pleased with the system; I am not looking to upgrade the speakers at all, as I feel they are the strongest link at this point. I also feel that the sound quality I am getting is superb for the most part. The flaw is this: high volume. I knew going into the deal that Emma wasn't the most efficient speaker on the block. However, I figured that with a reasonably robust little receiver like the 3380, it should have been able to crank out fairly high volumes to my liking, and generally it does. However, on some (bass heavy) material, it does get a bit strained. I'll also readily admit that I play my music at relatively high volume. So with this in mind, I figure I have 3 options to help the situation.

1. Buy a subwoofer. Pros: Would take the bass strain off the Emma's, giving a bit of extra headroom. Cons: The 3380 doesnt have bass mgmt. I am also quite fond of my speaker cables, and I would rather not run the system through a subwoofers crossovers as they would effectively have to be pitched. Question with that though: Since the HK wouldn't know the system was being crossed over, would I gain any extra headroom by doing this? The other solution I could see would be buying a new receiver that had bass mgmt on it, although the only stereo receiver I can think of with that feature is by Outlaw; this would get into pricey territory though.

2. Buy a power amp and use the HK as a preamp. Pros: Would certainly give a at least a bit more headroom, improve dynamics on the whole, etc. Cons: Don't really know how much juice Emma can take. 500 quality watts a side aint exactly cheap either.

Comments? Thoughts? Ridicule? All are welcome!

Gold Member
Username: Edster922

Abubala, Ababala The Occupation

Post Number: 4601
I'd experiment with a pro amp such as a Behringer ep2500 which will give you 450wpc and run around $300. Search on the AVS Forum for a multitude of positive feedback on it, and a couple of people have done head to head comparisons with "audiophile" amps and heard no real difference.

If you can get something like this from partsexpress.com you'll have a nice return policy in case it doesn't work out to your liking.

Silver Member

Post Number: 187
Judging from the feedback I've gotten from Tim on other threads, it would seem like the subwoofer route would be the way to go along w/ some form of bass mgmt. It just stinks that my 3380 (or any stereo receiver excepting the RR2150) doesn't offer it...Ohh well, in reality, I could just try to keep the volume down (certainly wouldn't hurt my hearing). I would rather not get a 5.1 receiver, as most of its features would go to waste.

Don't suppose anyone knows of any cheap XO's (but still of decent quality!) that I could plug into the chain between the source and the receiver? I only have one source, so that wouldn't be a major problem at least.

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 4247
SM, just get a sub with mgmt built in, like a Velodyne.

Gold Member
Username: Edster922

Abubala, Ababala The Occupation

Post Number: 4602
http://cgi.ebay.com/Bass-Blockers-High-Pass-Crossover-Speakers-Filter-100Hz_W0QQ itemZ220032332370QQihZ012QQcategoryZ50549QQssPageNameZWD1VQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

or

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=266-250

Silver Member

Post Number: 188
Nuck: Potentially, but it would still be expensive, simply because I was a twit and decided to get higher end speaker wire :-)

Also, would I gain any actual volume headroom from this configuration, or would it just take some strain off the speakers (as the amp would still be pushing full power through its outputs)?

Silver Member

Post Number: 189
Eddie: What I'm thinking of is more like
http://www.hsustore.com/highendcrossover.html
except not $460. I thought Tim had posted about a Behringer model once, but I'm not sure which one it was...

Silver Member
Username: Darth

The woodlands

Post Number: 103
Another option:

http://www.hometheaterbythesea.com/Aragon-2002-Amp-200-x-2-P8868C1131.aspx
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us