Record playing noob

Username: Team_racket

Post Number: 1
so i recently bought a nameless/brandless player on ebay. it was cheap, i had some old records give too me so i purchased without any research into players. big mistake maybe? anyway, im not sure wether im doing something wrong, but the records seem to be playing slightly too fast, even when played at desired speeds. i have three speed settings, 33,45,78 and even on the 33, the records sound too fast. near the needle, is a round piece of plastic which can be taken off. i have no idea what this is for. anyone give me some help? is this just a case of a cheap player?

thanks for your time.

Gold Member
Username: Stu_pitt

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 1462
The round piece of plastic is most likely an adapter for 45 rpm records.

You don't mention what kind of TT you have, but if it's a cheap POS (no offense intended), then the speed issues are probably due to the lack of a quality motor/ speed control.

Generally speaking (very generally in fact), better TTs regulate speed better. Many TTs even have the option of an external speed controller.

Post Number: 2
sorry for being such a noob, but what is a TT ?

Gold Member

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 1464
Sorry... TT = TurnTable.

Gold Member

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 1465
Not to insult you, but just in case...

TurnTable = Record player

Post Number: 3
haha no problems. im totally new to all this, so thanks for your time, much appreciated. anyone recommend me a good all round player ?

Gold Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 1676
The cheapest player which has a good rep that I know of is the ProJect Debut III.

Alternatively NAD has a turntable which is made for them by Rega Research (Long time turntable manufacturers) which is good.

Then there's the Goldring variant of the same thing.

And if you want quality there's Rega and ProJect's more expensive decks.

None of these give you 78 speed, just 33 and 45.

Regards,
Frank.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us