Replacement for NAD 320BEE

Username: Molo

Post Number: 1
Hello,

I am thinking on a replacement for my NAD 320bee. My speakers are dynaudio audience 52. I am happy with the sound but sometimes the bass sounds a little bit boomy. In addition, after a high volume listening session without the amp circuit protection (soft-clipping), the right channel crackles when I turn the volume knob, and sometimes even without turning it. I know the problem comes from the amp because I hear it also using headphones.
I was therefore thinking on a change that will give me a tighter bass, a little bit more detail also at low volume and in general more transparency and better mid-range. I was thinking on looking for a used Nait5i, Arcam Diva 90 or 85, musical fidelity A3.2 or maybe a simaudio moon i3, if I find it cheap.
Has anyone experience with these combinations? Do you think it will solve my problems?
By the way, I listen all kinds of music, but mainly jazz in a 25 sq meter room.

Thanks a lot

Gold Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 1674
Fernando,

I ahve quite a bit of experience with the 52s particularly with Naim, Arcam and Cyrus. The 52s are an excellent speaker. The boomy bass and probably occasionally harsh treble are a sign of the amplifier losing control of the speaker.

My experience with the A85 is not very good actually. Although powerful I found that it did not really have the grip to get the 52s singing. The Cyrus 6 is just about powerful enough but really you want an 8 or 8vs which really gets a good grip on things. The Cyrus presentation is very clean so it takes longer for it to let go than the 320BEE.

The Naim is a good match with the 52s. Although the Nait5i is 'only' 50wpc, it comes across with a lot more balls than you'd expect. The Naim presentation is more fluid but not necessarily as clean as the Cyrus. It's a good combination and you'd have to be playing pretty loud to make the Nait run out of steam.

Regards,
Frank.

Post Number: 2
Thanks a lot Frank,
I will look for a used Nait. The only question I have is about the phone stage. I guess that a Naim phono stage would cost a fortunee and I would love to use the one I already have (NAD PP-2), but would it be possible to conect it to the Nait, or I need a Naim one?
Also, do you have any explanation to the fact that the right channel of my NAD 320BEE crackles? Is it possible to break the amp only by playing loud?
Thanks again for your help

Gold Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 1677
No problem connecting the NAD to the Nait. A Nait5i has RCA connections so you can use any ordinary interconnect.

Don't go for a Nait5 or Nait3. They are lower powered and would find life a bit difficult with 52s.

Regards,
Frank.

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 4201
Fern, ir one channel crackels it could be earing down. Then again, have you cleaned it in the last year? Openeing the box and cleaning and inspecting should be an annual event(spring for me), or have it cleaned by a pro.
Adds miles of smiles.

The 5i Frank quoted is head and shoulders above the others.
You could go further, but bring a BIG check.

Unless you go used.(pre loved.)
I got a good used kit that will out-current most for a good price. I wanna try those Dyn's, they review so well.

Enjoy!

Post Number: 3
Thanks very much. i will look for a used Nait 5i, and in the meanwhile, I will clean my NAD.
Regards
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us