Magnepan

Silver Member
Username: Jethro

Lansing, Mi

Post Number: 103
anyone hear magnepan mmg-w 5.1 setup ?
4 mmg-w's and 1 mmg-c + a sub
if so, how does it compare to other 5.1 systems that you have heard/auditioned? 4 mmgws and 1 mmgc would be approximately 900 dollars. I ask as that my interest has peaked but haven't found anywhere to listen. would also be waf approved as they wall mount (could put them on wall with plasma)

really look forward to a response(s)

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 4188
http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/magnepan/mmgw_3.html

and a really good sub.

And a Bryston pre/pro.

Silver Member

Lansing, Mi

Post Number: 105
Thx for response and link nuck. I wish i could just listen a/b to the maggies vs. say the ascend 340se 5.1 setup w/ same sub. I'm not sure if i even know what i want at this point however, so is foolhearty.

Silver Member
Username: Hawk

Highlands Ranch, CO USA

Post Number: 995
jeff:

It is no contest. If you have the room for the Maggies, they will blow away the Ascends (and the Ascends are a fine speaker!). However, you have not stated the amp that would be driving them. The Maggies require an amp that is rated at 4 ohms when playing all channels. There are few receivers out there that are so rated (NAD and Arcam, I believe). As is typical of high quality equipment, Maggies require high quality amplification to drive them. If you don't have such an amp, stick with the Ascends.

I would suggest if you really want to know how they sound side by side, both are available directly from the manufacturer with a home trial period. Buy them both and try them at home. Send the loser back.

Silver Member

Lansing, Mi

Post Number: 106
4 ascend 340se mains and rears
1 ascend 340 c
2 pair 340m stands

$1610 total shipped

4 magnepan mmg-w's mains and rears
1 magnepan mmg-c center
~$950 in store pickup w/ tax
5 monoblock outlaw 2200
~$2100 total

would use denon 3805 as pre-pro for maggie setup w/ outlaw amps
would use denon 3805 as receiver for ascend setup

have subs (2) b&w asw675

room size 14 x 18 x 8. Money is most definitely an issue here but can swing either setup if warranted. Music 25% Movies 75%.

Anything i'm missing here? I did do my homework in that i have listened to alot of speakers and setups from dealers in my area. LIke i said in my original post however, the magnepans have peaked my interest and the ascend acoustics seem to get the best reviews and customer satisfaction in my price range. Direction is what i'm looking for. I would rather not buy both and send one back. Is there a clear-cut winner here between the two setups ? Is it more personal preference and i would just have to buy them both to find out for myself?

jeff

Silver Member

Lansing, Mi

Post Number: 107
if maggies + outlaw is the way to go, is it not necessary to have 5 outlaw mono 2200s to power them? I know they're not an easy load, but the amplification would cost more than the 5 speaker package. Is there better route for amplification if this is the route i choose?

The $500 extra i would spend here would be justified if the end result in "sound" were of equal caliber due to the fact i would free up space given they are wall mounted.

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 4198
JeffI presume you already have an idea on how to mount all those amps, it could make a really powerful and pleasing presentation.
Keep in mind that the gear will mean a lot of cables wire and power cords. I believe the m2200's can be stacked, but that would not be my first choice.

Without starting it all again, you may want to budget for some good i/c's for the amps, and good speaker wire is not expensive, but recommended for either setup.

For the Maggies, mounting kits will add some cost, too. The 'temporary' kit in the article looks ok as permanent to me, but seems rather essential for initial placement. As it reads, the placement may need some fiddling with.

However, seeing your 75% movies, it's really up to you. Even 10% music would make the choice music oriented for me.

Silver Member

Lansing, Mi

Post Number: 109
ya i understand the complications 5 power amps can add to a simple home theater setup. I have good i/c's imo. all old school cords from previous 2.0 setups. straight wire connects, a few monster, etc...
Hawk, you said if you have the room then go for maggies. what exactly do u mean by having the room? do you mean "physical space" or a typical "room" that sounds good w/ planar type speakers? like a listening room, etc... don't quite understand. I do however understand that the speaker will stand or fall (harsh choice of wording) to the room in consideration. The room must be "right" for the speakers to sound as intended by the manufacturer. plz do share opinion. i'm leaning towards the purchase of the maggies for sure at this point, going to pull the trigger by the end of the month as i have the cash to do so. Is this a good choice? Is there a better option? Is my amp choice stupid since its 5 mono blocks whereas i could just purchase a solid 5 channel amp? which 5 channel amp? etc...

Bronze Member
Username: Gavdawg

Post Number: 12
The MMG-W can be a tag bright because of the comparative lack of bass, and you have to have your sub x-over up really high. This means you have to have a VERY high quality sub to keep up.

Personally, I would go with the larger on walls with a tweeter and larger mid-woofer. They extend lower, and will blend with a sub more easily and discreetly.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us