Speaker Stands

Username: Canyon

Post Number: 7
Hi,
I have a set of book shelf B&W CM2s and I need speaker stands. I've never had stands before so I don't know how to shop for them. What should I be looking for? Thanks for any help.

Silver Member
Username: Stefanom

Silver Spring, MD United States

Post Number: 162
Things to look for in a speaker stand:

1. Proper height. You want the tweeter to be at ear level with your seating position.

2. Good solid build. You don't want the stand resonating and adding to the sound. Typically a hollow metal stand that can be filled with sand and or lead shot is good for this. You want something that isolates the speakers relatively well also, although blue tak on the top plate can accomplish this cheaply.

3. Something that is aesthetically pleasing.

A good place to start looking is partsexpress.com as they have several reasonably priced stands that would probably fit the bill.

Silver Member
Username: Stefanom

Silver Spring, MD United States

Post Number: 163
Ohh and it should couple solidly with the floor as well.

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 3559
Atlantis is a brand that is reasonably priced and well built.

Silver Member
Username: Exerciseguy

Brooklyn, NY USA

Post Number: 477
I'm continually impressed by just about everything from www.partsexpress.com. I own two pairs of their stands, 24" & adjustable sattelite.

Gold Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 1672
Julianna,

Also check out B&W's site. Have a look at their stands to see what they think is the correct thing to use with their speaker. Different speakers work differently with different stands. Some prefer an open frame (EPOS), some work better with an extremely heavy, dense, stand (Totem Model-1 or Mani-2), and many prefer something in between. In my opinion I tend to get better results with welded stands to screw-together stands. I find that screw-together stands aren't as substantial and just seem more prone to a lightweight sound.

The height should be such that the acoustic centre of the drivers in your speaker is at ear height when you're sitting in your favourite chair. The acoustic centre is effectively the mid-pint between the two drive units of your speaker. Typical height for a small standmount usually works out to 24" or 60cm and this is the most commonly sold height of stand for this reason.

Regards,
Frank.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us